Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stereotaxis

Posted by Doug L. 
Doug L.
Stereotaxis
March 25, 2010 04:45PM

It has been about 2 1/2 months since my double ablation (afib and aflutter)
My AFIBS still contine on an almost daily schedule. The AFLUTTER has seemed to have been a success.

However, my pacemaker indicates I have had over 1300 events since the ablation. I would not consider this a success.

The events are much shorter in length.

The ablations were done in the State of Maryland. I live in Central Florida. and have read recently about the new Stereotaxis Heart Machine at the Florida Hospital. If I understood the story correctly there are about 130 of these new medical machines in the USA. Long story short.... large magnets are used to guide the catheders instead of by human hands.

There success rate as far safety is concerned is nearly 100 percent.

Most likely I will be needing a second abaltion... can anyone shed their knowledge on this new device and experience.
Re: Stereotaxis
March 26, 2010 02:48AM
Doug,

Sorry to hear of your continued episodes after your ablation.

If you search this forum for "stereotaxis," you'll find a good deal of useful information. Just one example:

[www.afibbers.org]

Best wishes,

--Lance
researcher
March 26, 2010 03:17AM
I looked at the Central Florida website to get a sense of their experience and expertise. The two doctors heading up arrhythmia appear to be very experienced in manual given their hospital's high volume. Pollak has a bunch of papers dealing with VT starting in the 80's so he understands complexity well. Monir is younger and more recent publications dealt with automated detection of CFAE (complex fractionated electrograms) so he appears to understand complex issues in AF. Monir was a Jackman fellow so that's a positive.

The questions I would ask them would be about where they are on the learning curve on the Stereotaxis equipment. What stepwise protocol do they use? What is their approach with regards to power settings and lesion formation time? And success and complication rate, cumulative and more recent.

[www.flheart.org]
researcher
March 26, 2010 03:53AM
Doug, I forgot to mention that the blanking period post ablation is 3 months so I would wait to see if episodes are trending down.
Hans Larsen
March 26, 2010 05:50AM
Doug,

If you are considering a second ablation and you live in Florida I would go to Dr. Sergio Pinski at Cleveland Clinic in Weston. Dr. Pinski has an excellent record both in regard to success and safety.

Hans
March 26, 2010 07:13AM
Doug - I agree with Hans... you can't go wrong with Dr. Pinski. If I were there, he'd be the one with whom I'd consult. Good luck. Jackie
researcher
March 27, 2010 02:15AM
I found that Florida is one of the states that keep track of how well hospitals are doing by specialty and re-admissions. So I did a search on irregular heartbeats hospitalizations. Both Cleveland Clinic is slightly higher on volume and Central Florida re-admissions is the lowest in the state, and that's very good. Cleveland Clinic re-admissions is about twice that of Central Florida and in the expected range. You can also search the site for disciplinary or liability actions for the past 10 years and both Pinksi and Monir are clean.

Below are search results of all hospitals in Florida for the age group of 18+yrs:

[www.floridahealthfinder.gov]

and an explanation of readmissions:

The Readmission Rate is the percentage of patients who were readmitted to the same hospital or another short term acute care hospital for the same or related condition within 15 days of the initial discharge.
This rate is assigned to the hospital that first admitted the patient regardless of where the patient is readmitted.
Since sicker patients are more likely to be readmitted, the readmission rate is adjusted for the severity of patients’ illness.1 A rate that is “lower than expected” indicates the hospital had fewer readmissions compared to other hospitals with similar patients. A rate that is “higher than expected” indicates the hospital had more readmissions compared to other hospitals with similar patients.

PS. I wish all 50 states has a database like that of Florida and make it just as easily accessible. From the list, you can quickly screen out the facilities that have low volume or high re-admissions.
researcher
March 27, 2010 05:15AM
I confused Central Florida hospital with Florida Hospital in reading the search results. Florida hospital's volume is about 2.5 times that of Cleveland Clinic and re-admissions rate are higher than the expected range. I suggest going through the list looking for high volume and low re-admissions. I checked Jupiter hospital because they have low re-admissions rate and found they don't have an AF program. There are several others I haven't checked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login