Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marijuana

Posted by jim 
jim
Marijuana
September 04, 2012 12:06AM
I would love some interpretation and insight from the medical LAF community... esp in states where medical marijuana is legal... not only in regards to the following research and any followup which may have been done but also in first hand clinical experiences from patients being treated with medical marijuana:

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]
[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

The Potential for Clinical Use of Cannabinoids in Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases

Ronen Durst1,2,
Chaim Lotan2

Article first published online: 14 OCT 2010

DOI: 10.1111/j.1755-5922.2010.00233.x

© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd

Issue
Cardiovascular Therapeutics

Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 17–22, February 2011

SUMMARY

Cannabinoids, the constituents of the marijuana plant and their analogs, have not only neurobehavioral but also cardiovascular effects. Great advances in the last couple of decades have led to better understanding of the physiological effects of the cannabinoids and of their role in various cardiovascular pathologies. The potential therapeutic use of cannabinoids in various cardiac diseases, such as ischemic injury, heart failure, and cardiac arrhythmias, has been studied in animal models. The purpose of this article is to review the physiological cardiovascular properties of cannabinoids and to summarize the knowledge related to their potential therapeutic use.
Re: Marijuana
September 07, 2012 04:11PM
Hello Jim,

I have no personal experience with marijuana nor do I know of any afibbers who have used it in connection with their afib. The article by Durst and Lotan is interesting, but as far as I can deduce deals with the prevention of ventricular arrhythmia in rats. Lone atrial fibrillation is very different from ventricular arrhythmia so I don't think the findings are directly applicable. Nevertheless, as smoking marijuana is associated with an increase in heart rate, smoking a joint before bedtime could possibly be helpful for a vagal afibber.

Hans
September 08, 2012 12:31AM
Hans, At the beginning of the article they say that there is an increase in heart rate from smoking but later there were some contradictory statements about that

"Several groups have demonstrated that in anesthetized
rodents, THC and anandamide, as well as potent synthetic
cannabinoid ligands such as HU-210, evoke a triphasic hemody-
namic response that includes an initial vagaly-mediated brady-
cardia with secondary hypotension, a transient pressor effect fol-
lowed by sustained hypotension"

Does the statement " initial vagaly-mediated brady-cardia with secondary hypotension " imply that heart rate will increase later?
Sometime before the munchies hit.. drinking smiley

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Adrian
Todd
September 09, 2012 06:37PM
The Power of RAW Cannabis.
11 min video
[www.youtube.com]

This is a must-watch video featuring some of the top researchers on the healing effects of Cannabis (Marijuana) in it's raw form, eaten or juiced.

Eating raw cannabis as medicine, dietary essential: new research

Cannabis is a dietary essential that helps all cell types function more effectively.

Is a medicine: anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, probably has some direct activity against cancerous cells.

This plant can do phenomenal things, but not if [you aren't taking a high enough dose].

Cannabis is the most important vegetable in the world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login