Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplements, supplements, supplements. Where do we go from here?

Posted by Murray L. 
The following are the supplements that I am currently taking and following which are the supplements on my list of 'to do things' - I will start them in a couple of weeks I think. My question is really a simple, yet complicated one: How does one get a handle of what supplements he/she should be taking? I have read much and am still in a bit of a fog:

The ones that are in my future are asterisked prior:

Flecainide or Amiodrone prior to electro cardioversion? None

Nexxium 40mg/day Rx due to GERD shown on barium upper GI mid Dec

N-Acetylcysteine 500mg TEMPORARY:2 on day of CT scan
2 on following day

Metformin 500MG 500mg/three times daily
Replaced by Janumet Sept 2010
Stopped Janumet Sept 2010
Restarted Janumet Nov 1/10
Stopped Janumet Nov 18 with onset of AFib! And back to Metformin/BP low + hear palpitations

Gluconorm 2MG
Repaglinide 2.0 MG As required
(at start of high carb meal) As required

Lipitor 10MG/daily (CHOL)
(Atorvastatin)
Replaced by Caduet Sept 2010
Stopped Caduet Sept 2010
Restarted Caduet Nov 1/10
Stopped Caduet back to Lipitor Nov 18/10/BP low + heart palpatations
Janumet 50/1000MG TAKING NONE AT PRESENT
Sitagliptin/Metformin 50/100
Stopped Nov 18 onset AFib!
Caduet 5/20MG*
Amlodipine/Atorvastatin 5/20MG
Stopped Nov 18 onset AFib!

Altace 5MG (BP)
(Rampiril 5MG)
from twice to once daily
Nov 18 return to twice daily.

Eltroxin 0.15MG (THYR) once daily
(Levothyroxin 0.15MG)

Metoprolol 25MG (RATE)
(BP/Heart Rate) 1 Nov9/10 reduce from 25MG to 12.5MG by Dr. F due to low BP. Nov 18 return to 25mg b.i.d.

Clonazepam (as required for anxiety/stress)

Furosemide 40MG Taking as required if wheezing or salty food error else makes no difference to breathing.

Coumadin (5MG)
(Warfarin SOD 5MG) Seek INR=2 to 3
Recheck INR each visit!

(Otrivin Complete Nasal
0.1% xylometazoline hydrochloride As required for allergic nasal congestion 2 sprays each nostril at bedtime in lieu of Omnaris

And now for the supplements! An asterisk means I have on hand but have not started yet.
VITAMIN D-3 1,000 IU 1,000 IU 1,000 IU
SALMON OIL 1,000 MG 1,000 MG 1,000MG
Magnesium 200mg 200m g 200mg bedtime
Potassium Gluconate 300mg 300mg 300mg
Taurine 1000mg 1000mg 1000mg
Coenzyme Q10 200mg 200mg
L-Arginine 1000mg
L-Carnitine 1000mg 1000mg
Vitamin C 1,000mg 1,000mg 1,000mg 1,000mg timed release all
*Nattokinase 50 mg 50 mg
*Niacin 1000mg 1000mg
*Vitamin K2 400 mg 400 mg
Vitamin E 400mg (190IU) 400mg (190IU)
Vitamin B-1 5,000mcg sublingual/daily
*Hawthorn

*Vigorex Forte
Avena Sativa (Oat Straw) proposed
*Alpha-lipoic Acid (Thioctic Acid) Proposed
*Cotazym
(Pancreatic Enzyme) proposed
*Folic Acid Propose 5mg Propose 5mg Propose 5mg
*Vitamin B-6 Proposed 40mg/day
*B-Complex proposed 50mg with breakfast
*Zinc
* Natural Factors Chelated 25mg/day
*L-Lysine 500mg/day
*Selenium 200mcg/day 200mcg/day
*NOW Trace Minerals 800mg/day
*L-Tyrosine 500mg 500mg/day
*CANDEX as directed To rid body of Candida WHAT to rid body of H. Pylori?

*Ginko Biloba (red PVC)
*Copper Gluconate 2mg 2mg
BABY ASPIRIN 81MG 1
Symbicort Turbohaler
BudosonideéFormoterol 200UG As required
Atrovent HFA 20uG
Ipratropium Br 20MCG As required
Ventolin HFA 100uG
Salbutamol 100MCG As required

I think that about covers me and trust that folks can understand it. So many suggested. So many to choose from. There are surely more important ones that I need to be considering, and so on.

So, THE question: Where does one go with supplementation? Where do we go from here for greatest effect and for greatest chance of successful electro cardioversion and/or catheter ablation?

I've hit a brick wall.

Re: Supplements, supplements, supplements. Where do we go from here?
January 03, 2011 07:41AM
Murray - how long have you been taking a statin drug?

Jackie
Thats a tough one Murray. You are on so much stuff its easy to get lost there. I am definitely no expert and am only pointing out a few things that seem contrary to me. First of all be careful with the use of blood thinners! You are on aspirin coumadin and are contemplating the use of nattokinase. A high wire act of stroke defying proportions requiring a safety net of careful monitoring and observation. It could be that you are choosing between which of the three blood thinning options to go with ergo not all at the same time, in which case its not quite as scary. I notice that you are taking aspirin and coumadin at the same time. Is that under Dr's orders? Seems to me you should be on one or the other.

The other thing that I wonder about is the use of all the turbohalers etc. Is all that really required? If you were to check the side effects of all those drugs how many of them have heart arrhythmia's as a symptom. Are you treating the side effects of some drugs (restlessness, anxiety, nervousness) with other drugs (anti-anxiety meds)?

I know the reason you are trying all the sups is to get off the drugs so I wish you well in that regard. I don't envy you your task, you are a complex case but do admire your resolution.

May the force be with you!

Adrian
Murray,

Yes, the statin? I'm sure you noted Dr Ron Rosedale's wisdom:

"Whenever I see a patient on any of those medications, they're off the very first visit. They have no place in medicine."

Be sure to visit [www.spacedoc.net], astronaut/ Air Force flight surgeon Duane Graveline, MD's statin activism website.

Be well!

Erling

Thanks for wading through this stuff with me.

Fist, the statin drug, and I believe you are referring to the Lipitor 10mg daily. I have been taking this for probably ten years. Funny thing is, nobody can recall who originally prescribed it and nobody is willing to cut it out. So I am an Atorvastatin addict. Are any of the others statin drugs?

In regards to aspirin, cumadin and nattokinase - I have actually NOT started the Nattokinase as of yet. I had a concern also about Vitamins being taken affecting my clotting factor. At the moment I am aspirin and cumadin and am not really happy about the aspirin, but, again, nobody knows who Rx'd it and nobody else wants to stop it. I am tempted to do it myself and tell my family physician who is monitoring my NIA reading weekly at this point; seems to be around 2.8.

The inhalers. Ahhhh. The inhalers. I am sure that I need ONE of them as I get plugged up with allergens during the summer months especially. I was on full life support (intubated) for three weeks and in critical care for a month last summer (2009) and my lungs were left somewhat compromised at that time. There was some hope that lung function/capacity would come back but it appears that I am stuck at 70% or less capacity/efficiency. I was actually on them ALL when I came out of the hopsital (and in hospital) and on a gross dosage of 8 puffs of each every 4-6 hours. I questioned that and was told it was a result of the intubation. I have weaned myself off of them and now use them only as required and generally try Ventolin first and wait a half an hour to see if I get any relief from breathing caramel air through a straw (granted it is a milkshake straw.... but you get the pix).

While in hospital a passing cardiologist suggested I FOLLOW UP with my own cardiologist as an out patient when released (the deal is, if you have a solid pulse - they want your bed NOW).

Don't know how many, if any, have heart arrhythmia as side effect but it sure is a what of drugs, no? The beginning of my Afib is crystal clear. The endocronolist decided to change me from Metformin to Janumet and Caduet and my blood pressure PLUMMENTED to 95/60. At first they reduced the Metoprolol but brought it back up to 25mg b.i.b. in a hurry. Ultimately, I said "it wasn't broke... why did he want to fix it?" to which my response was "I have thousands of patients on these drugs and no problems". Three weeks later, with AFib going 24/7, I dumped these drugs ($800 worth) in the toilet and went back to Metformin and Lipitor. Second possible cause? MAJOR dental work preparing for impants without the use of any antibiotics, etc. I have no idea what caused the AFib at this point, but I feel that if there was a starting point, unless it was like falling off a cliff, I should be able to claw my way back there somehow.
Wow.
At the very least you need an Excel spread sheet to organize all this information. I update the file name of my spread sheet with a new serial number every time I make any change. The current file name is Regimen.0284.xls

Josiah

Murray,

Yes, Lipitor is a 'statin' (how a family of drugs with essentially the same effect got named 'statins' I have no idea). That they don't belong in medicine, in the body, is crystal clear, and my strongest advice, echoed from the world's top, most highly respected science 'knowers', is to get rid of that drug ASAP, before it causes further damage to your entire body. We could go on about 'why', but in a nutshell: all 'statins' destroy the body's ability to synthesize Coenzyme Q10, without which one cannot live. Period. CoQ10 + oxygen = ATP (energy) = life (vastly simplified, but oh so true).

After you quit Lipitor (right now!) and build a spreadsheet :-) as Josiah suggests, you might want to read astronaut 'Spacedoc' Dr. Duane Graveline Md, MPH's 'Statin Drugs Side Effects and the Misguided War on Cholesterol' [www.amazon.com]

Excerpt from a 2008 review:

"This concise but comprehensive compendium not only lists the cornucopia of statin side effects, but also clearly explains the mechanisms of action responsible for their insidious side effects. Many of these dangerous complications, including cancer and neurodegenerative disorders that have been skillfully concealed or denied by statin manufacturers, are just now beginning to surface. As Dr. Graveline emphasizes, in blocking cholesterol, which is essential for neuronal communication in the brain, statins also interfere with the synthesis of Coenzyme Q10, dolichols and NF-kB (nuclear factor kappa cool smiley, vital nutrients crucial for energy production, neuropeptide synthesis and proper immune system function."

Be well!

Erling

I looked over the suggested website and Lipitor (Atorvastatin) has been eliminated from my regimen effective immediately. I will have to explain this to my GP on Wednesday of course but I can see the issues.

Insofar as keeping a list on a spreadsheet; I do exactly that. The meds/supplements down the side and across the columns AM, NOON, PM, BEDTIME.

I rename the spreadsheet with every change and have the date/time inserted automatically onto the sheet itself so there are no errors.

The list is long, but many of the items are for informatoin more that constantly being taken; like the puffers, etc. They are taken and used when needed only.

I will discuss with my GP what the effect of removing Lipitor from the regiment will be; perhaps it will not be replaced by a pill - but rather by the supplements and diet change. My blood is tested every week at the moment and I am having the GP check it for everything but pregnancy; will revert to every two weeks at some point but will continue to monitor closely.

Thanks for the heads up my friends.

So, regarding supplements, where does one go from here? There are so very many to choose from. I have started many but am holding off on others until I see the effect of the first group. And of the exotics as Selenium, Folic Acid, etc., am I getting these in my Multi? I have to get out the magnifying glass and read the damn label; it is mice print.
January 04, 2011 01:43AM
Murray - I asked about the statins (Lipitor etc) because long term, they can certainly cause mitochondrial dysfunction - key to muscle function... and your heart is certainly a muscle. While I can't tell you to stop the statin or any other drug you take, I do think that you should spend the time to understand the long-term consequences of taking statin drugs .... and there are many...and then make some educated decisions.

We've posted here frequently on the dangers of statins so you can just put in a search in the last couple of BB sessions to find them and definitely visit the website of Duane Graveline, MD, who wrote the book Lipitor Thief of Memory based on his personal experiences with that drug.
[www.spacedoc.net]

Cardiologist Peter Langsjoen, writes about Statin-induced Cardiomyopathy
[www.spacedoc.net]
[www.spacedoc.net]

July 8, 2002
STATIN-INDUCED CARDIOMYOPATHY
INTRODUCTION TO THE CITIZEN’S PETITION ON STATINS
By Peter H. Langsjoen, MD

The medical profession has, after more than 30 years of excellent propaganda, successfully created the wholly iatrogenic - "pseudo-disease" dubbed "hypercholesterolemia" and the associated malady "cholesterol neurosis". After decades of dismal failure to cure this "disease" of numbers with low fat diets and a host of cholesterol lowering drugs, the medical profession stumbled upon the magic bullet, the cure for this dreaded artificial disease - statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors). First released on the US market in 1987, statins have rapidly grown into one of the most widely prescribed class of drugs in history. Statins do three things:

1. They block the body's ability to make cholesterol, thus lowering the blood level of cholesterol, thereby curing cholesterol neurosis. Doctors and patients equally neurotic have immediate gratification. The "evil" high cholesterol has been dramatically lowered and the future is bright and promising. So far...so good.

2. Unrelated to their cholesterol lowering, statins have been found to have anti-inflammatory, plaque-stabilizing properties which have a slight benefit in coronary heart disease.

3. Statins kill people - lots of people - and they wound many, many more. All patients taking statins become depleted in Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), eventually - those patients who start with a relatively low CoQ10 levels (the elderly and patients with heart failure) begin to manifest signs/symptoms of CoQ10 deficiency relatively rapidly - in 6 to 12 months. Younger, healthier people who's only "illness" is the non-illness "hypercholesterolemia" can tolerate statins for several years before getting into trouble with fatigue, muscle weakness and soreness (usually with normal muscle enzyme CPK tests) and most ominously - heart failure.

In my practice of 17 years in Tyler, Texas, I have seen a frightening increase in heart failure secondary to statin usage, "statin cardiomyopathy". Over the past five years, statins have become more potent, are being prescribed in higher doses, and are being used with reckless abandon in the elderly and in patients with "normal" cholesterol levels. We are in the midst of a CHF epidemic in the US with a dramatic increase over the past decade. Are we causing this epidemic through our zealous use of statins? In large part I think the answer is yes. We are now in a position to witness the unfolding of the greatest medical tragedy of all time - never before in history has the medical establishment knowingly (Merck & Co., Inc. has two 1990 patents combining CoQ10 with statins to prevent CoQ10 depletion and attendant side effects) created a life threatening nutrient deficiency in millions of otherwise healthy people, only to then sit back with arrogance and horrific irresponsibility and watch to see what happens - as I see two to three new statin cardiomyopathies per week in my practice, I cannot help but view my once great profession with a mixture of sorrow and contempt.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion is the topic of a recent petition to the FDA requesting that this drug/nutrient interaction be identified in a black box warning as part of statin package insert information. A comprehensive review of animal and human trials addressing this issue has been submitted to the FDA as a supporting document. We, of course, do not expect any response from the FDA, but 10 years from now when the full extent of statin toxicity becomes painfully evident, at least we can, in good conscience, know that we tried and who knows, sometimes small sparks may spread in dry grass.

See Also:
Cholesterol Drugs And The Depletion Of Coenzyme Q10: A Review Of Human And Animal Data.
By Peter H. Langsjoen, MD
[www.fda.gov]

As for taking warfarin, aspirin and nattokinase... you need to be careful and be supervised and monitored by your physician so you don't overthin your blood or risk hemorrhagic stroke. While it's documented that a small amount of nattokinase is compatible with warfarin... or a small amount of nattokinase and aspirin are also compatible, bleeding can occur with the latter. I (personally) would not add nattokinase until you are off either the warfarin or aspirin or both. I presume you have your INR monitored regularly? What about fibrinogen levels?

As for all your supplements... I understand the target for each and the comment there is... only time and testing indicates whether the supplements are helping. From what I understand about Canada, though, the appropriate testing is difficult or impossible. I corresponded with one Canadian afibber who went to the US for his testing and then worked with a Naturopath in Canada to help sort out the results.

Many supplements can take a long time before improvements or resolutions show up.

Keep in mind that pharmaceutical drugs help deplete magnesium so your major focus needs to be offsetting that effect unless you can start to eliminate many of the Rx drugs. Magnesium and then potassium will be the key players in managing your AF.

I congratulate you for spending so much time reading all that we've thrown at you and also for taking the time to list precisely list your meds and supplements for review.

Best to you,
Jackie

Murray,

Very good to know that you stopped the Lipitor. When you see the doctor, you will want to be prepared with facts about the drug in case there's resistance to your quitting. I/ we have been very well educated on this for a very long time and can certainly provide anything/ everything about the greatest, most health destroying, deadly profiteering scam ever perpetrated by corrupt Big Pharma, FDA, etc. via intentionally brain-washed medical practitioners.

Certainly the website [www.spacedoc.net] is a good place to begin. Read for instance what 'Spacedoc' Duane Graveline MD -- long suffering from relentless/ progressive Lipitor side effects -- has to say:

"I soon realized the adverse reactions involved far more than impaired cognition, including personality change, myopathy, neuropathy and a chronic neuromuscular degeneration similar to ALS, and all statins were contributing to these adverse reactions, not just Lipitor.

"It was in this climate that I wrote my second book, Statin Drugs Side Effects. This is when I learned what reductase inhibition really meant. The reductase step blocked by statins was at the very beginning of the mevalonate pathway.

"This pathway to cholesterol synthesis is also shared by many extremely important biochemical substances, including coenzyme Q10, inhibition of which was the cause of many of these side effects. One cannot reduce cholesterol by the use of statins without simultaneously blocking these other biochemicals sharing the mevalonate pathway. Then I learned that CoQ10 inhibition was contributing to increased mitochondrial damage and premature senility - the dark side of statins. My book, the Statin Damage Crisis was written to help people understand this."

For the deep science: 'Mevalonate Inhibition' [en.wikipedia.org]

Again, be well!

Erling

Jackie and Erling,

Thanks for the good info.

Murray,

I do disagree with one thing Erling said. He said "in case there's resistance [by the doctor] to your quitting." There WILL be. Be prepared. Both my mother and older brother were very nearly killed by statins. Even faced by a situation with such a big family history, every time I had blood work the doctor would try to put me on statins. For years, it was a battle of wills, even after I reminded him of the history. I finally had my mom and brother write out their stories (fortunately they're still around to do that), gave a copy to the doc and had it put in my medical record. He finally stopped bringing up the subject.

I'm sure that the doctors aren't actively trying to harm, but the training they get comes directly or indirectly from Big Pharma. They can't help it if they're brainwashed.

Regards,

lisa

I am curious as heck to hear what the MD's have to say. Thus far they have played along with me and erred on the side of caution. I believe if I walk in with the papers on statins they will go along with me as I am not entirely certain that I need it- and not are they. It's a doctor thing... nobody wants to terminate a pill that someone else may have put you on. And over the years, the guys work so closely together that the name on the refill has nothing to do with who originally prescribed it. I provide each MD with a list of meds and supplements that I am on along with notes on what tests and reports they should be expecting from the others and notes on how I am reacting to the stuff I putting in my mouth, etc. I also have a complete list of all of the doctors that I see and what they are seen for along with their addresses, phone numbers and email addresses for the exchange of information rapidly. The last page on my four page package is a list of questions for each doctor in concise terms so that I don't waster their time waffling about. To a person, they hole punch them and add them to my chart. Then replace them when updated.
Oh. One more thing. Interestingly, when I asked where the med came from I was told "unknown" but it was a good one to be on prophylacticaly - I said I had a whole box of these prophylactic things at home and a lot of good they did me!
This is probably why I chase my wife around the bedroom and when I finally catch up I forget what the heck I was doing in the first place and go and watch the baseball game.

Back to my original point. Where does one draw a line in terms of supplementation? Does one base supplementation on veinous and arterial blood serum levels? Plus cellular levels? (Think we may have found a place locally that will do cellular analysis as EXAtest is not keen on cross-border transactions it seems and the MD's have not heard of them up here in Kanada).

I seem to be taking the big three plus a few of the others that are popular; will start a few of the others that are popular but how about all of the non-descript supplements like copper, zinc, iron filings, silver deposits?
January 04, 2011 09:43AM
Murray - while we are on this thread and the topic of statins... here's one more to add to your collection

This article by Alan R. Gaby, MD, is an editorial comment June 2010 Townsend Letters for Doctors & Patients where he reviewed literature that indicates statins significantly increase the risk of developing diabetes.

I published his comments here in the BB and GeorgeN pointed out that there was a math error in the original publication (below) and it should have read:

Thus, for every 3 heart attacks prevented by a statin, approximately one new cases of diabetes will occur.

Statins Cause Diabetes

" A recently published meta-analysis of 13 randomized controlled trials that included a total of 91,140 participants found that treatment with a cholesterol-lowering statin drug significantly increased the risk of developing diabetes. (1) This new finding adds to the long list of adverse effects of statin drugs, which include myopathy (7%-15% incidence), rhabdomyolysis, hepatotoxicity, cognitive dysfunction, memory loss, gastrointestinal symptoms, headaches, and skin rashes."
Continue: [www.thefreelibrary.com]

Jackie
Hi guys,

Been off the forum for a while but want to weigh in on statins. I had my first afib in 2008 within a few weeks of starting simvastatin. The afibs were regular over the course of the next year. They virtually vanished after I stopped the statin. I did have a few episodes afterwards, but much lower in intensity and 2 months apart, rather than the typical 4 weeks. I was also able to convert each time quickly through exercise.

I am experimenting now with red rice yeast and am doing 300 mg of CoQ10 daily. So far so good. Hardly any notice of heartbeat anymore and afib free for two months now. Mike
Mike,

From what I understand, red yeast rice is a statin, so a word of caution, especially if you had problems with it before.

You might want to check out this site:

[www.nutritional-supplement-educational-centre.com]

lisa

Murray,

I can't help but think that the "more is better" line of thought here is way off the deep end.

I like to think that "less is better" and only take what is essential. The tough question is - What is essential?

Most of the people in this country is over medicated, plus there are a few that go off the deep end with supplements. I am not opposed to supplements, but I fear that you are taking it to the extreme.

Sorry for the critical words, but it's just my opinion. I hope you find what you are looking for.
thanks for the link, Lisa
January 05, 2011 09:50AM
Murray - here's another on statin damage to mitochondrial DNA and PQQ.
Add this to your collection. Jackie
January 05, 2011 09:51AM
Murray

I am very wary about taking prescribed medication unless I am sure is it absolutely necessary.

My mother-in-law was on medication for Parkinsons disease for many years. Her GP of 40 years just kept giving her repeat prescriptions but when he retired the new, young, GP did lots of tests. She didn't have Parkinsons at all: her symptoms were the result of other drugs which she also didn't need. The GP pruned her list of drugs, her tremors disappeared and she had a new lease of life.

My advice would be:-

Be wary and be well informed. Take control of your own healthcare. Find a GP who respects you, listens to you and explains exactly why you need each medication.

Gill

Very well said, Gill! Be wary and be well informed.

I am sometimes shocked by the totality of chemicals as drugs and supplements that some ingest without really understanding why, or what possible consequences of unknowable interactions/reactions might occur. But I do appreciate that it's not always easy to be well informed.

Erling

I want to thank you all for providing this great information. At least with the Atorvastatin I know that I'm not about to walk out of the GP's office and drop on his sidewalk.

Our GP is a wonderful 'play along' upstanding guy. To wit. The way I discovered that I had AFib was simply that I was complaining to my wife of being short of breath at times and having a pounding in my chest at times. She asked our GP if they had time to do an ECG on me while we were there anyway (getting our monthly refills) and he was more than happy to do it although he was waaaaay behind.

Long story short, he sent the strip off to my cardiologist and pulmonologist AS A MATTER OF REGULAR PROCEDURE of sharing information. I got calls from both of them - the cardiologist is now working on the AFib and the pulmonologist is working on my lung issue(s) exacerbated by my bout with H1N1 last year and three weeks on life support. If anyone wants the presidential treatment they need to be tenacious, humble and knowledgable when they speak with their MD's.

My GP has told me that I know more than either himself of any of his associated 'sleep doc's' about sleep disorders (primarily apneas) and that according to my sleep apnea BINDER it is 100% controlled. By me. He now is starting to tell me that I am likely to know more about AFib that my MD's before too long as well and that would be just fine with me as long as they set the bar high enough. THAT is where I wish to be.

It is fascinating reading and just outstanding to discover the true effects of all of the junk we are putting into our bodies these days.

It is now about a month since beginning my journey and I am feeling pretty good about it. Like I said earlier, a picture is beginning to form on which to base my studies.... and for that I cannot thank everyone enough.
Murray,

Please explain: "At least with the Atorvastatin I know that I'm not about to walk out of the GP's office and drop on his sidewalk." ?

Wishing you well!

Erling

January 07, 2011 01:12AM
Yes - Murray - please do... Jackie
[www.spacedoc.net]

STATINS AND MITOCHONDRIAL MUTATIONS

"When I first wrote of my personal reaction to Lipitor seven years ago, I considered myself to be lucky to have had only transient amnesia episodes, for when it was over, I was back to normal - or so it seemed to me for the next several years. During this time my statin damage research gradually was revealing hundreds of cases of permanent disabling peripheral neuropathy, permanent myopathy and progressive neuro-muscular degeneration and I wondered, for suddenly, in the past two and one-half years, I have grown old, with weakness and easy fatigability and the posture and gait of an old man.

My exposure to Lipitor had been minimal - a total of three and a half months at 10mg or less. My awareness of possible statin causation came to me slowly as years passed and I read report after report from statin damaged victims. Many of them exactly described my story with a gap from beginning of drug intake to onset of symptoms often measured in many years. The feeling of weakness and easily fatigability of legs and low back made me cringe at the idea of exercise. A chair became my preferred refuge. I am now a doddering old man with withered limbs, a stranger in the mirror.

If my transition to this state had been gradual, the natural result of getting old I might have missed the relationship but to transition thusly in just a few years was clearly not normal and hundreds of other people, all statin users, were experiencing the same thing. My rheumatologist considered a possible ALS-like condition. My neurologist said he strongly suspected mitochondrial mutation secondary to statin use. Only muscle biopsy would refine this presumptive diagnosis but he had been seeing this syndrome for several years and strongly suspected a statin causation. He said that there is no treatment. This ALS-like condition is slowly progressive and eventually disabling.

What about this presumptive mitochondrial mutation etiology? Does this have merit?
Mitochondria are organelles that provide most of the energy our cells need for the work they do. It is in the mitochondria where CoQ10 and the reduced forms of niacin and riboflavin enter into that ingenious process of moving electrons from hydrogen molecules to one side of a mitochondrial leaf while storing the remaining protons on the other side creating an energy gradient - the magic energy resource of every cell in our bodies. It is here that oxidative phosphorylation takes place to create ATP.

As with any form of DNA, mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) sequences are susceptible to mutation In fact, there is evidence that mitochondrial sequences may mutate at rates 3 to 5 times greater than nuclear sequences. This may be because of the front-line position of these tiny warriors in their battle to utilize oxygen without themselves being oxidized. Constantly at risk they ordinarily are well supplied with anti-oxidants.

Enter statin drugs, capable of halving your CoQ10 in just a few weeks through the inevitable process of mevalonate blockade while inhibiting cholesterol synthesis. Gone is the fuel of the mitochondrial engines and gone is one of the most important anti-oxidants, with the ****of inactivation of free radicals. Abruptly the mutation rate increases at the same time the mitochondrial engines are running low on fuel. Is this something to consider as a cause of statin-altered physiology?

Statin associated chronic neuropathy and chronic progressive myopathy may well be examples of this process in action. It seems likely that a side effect of statin drugs in some people is to trigger just this process - mitochondrial mutations of sufficient frequency and severity to express as a chronic, even progressive condition. Indeed, it is known that accumulating mitochondrial mutations contribute significantly to aging. This appears to be what we are seeing in the cases of permanent muscle wasting, weakness and neuropathies seen usually only in advanced age.

Variability of expression may well explain why some people seem extraordinarily sensitive, showing symptoms early, while others show no apparent effect but may well be victims of low-grade, accelerated aging type of presentation, taking years to become evident. This may also help to explain why some people may be on a statin at an unchanged dose for years before abruptly manifesting symptoms.

Duane Graveline MD MPH
Former USAF Flight Surgeon
Former NASA Astronaut
Retired Family Doctor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login