Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cardiac MRI or CT following ablation

Posted by Laura 
Laura
Cardiac MRI or CT following ablation
January 03, 2011 04:55AM
I'm just wondering if everyone who has had an ablation also had either an MRI or CT scan approximately three months post procedure. An MRI has been scheduled for me this month to determine whether there is pulmonary vein stenosis. Apparently, this is part of the post-ablation followup protocol; I have no symptoms to indicate stenosis. I like to avoid any studies/procedures unless there's a really good reason--no sense having gadolinium pumped into your veins unnecessarily.

Laura
Cyndie
Re: Cardiac MRI or CT following ablation
January 03, 2011 06:25AM
Laura
I did not have either after my ablation.
Cyndie
January 03, 2011 07:45AM
Laura - Seven years ago, the post ablation CT heart scan was done routinely to rule out stenosis and I was a compliant patient; had it done about 3 months post ablation. In one regard, it was useful because it disclosed a clot in the LAA as a result of cardioversion the week prior, but in hindsight, if I had to do it again, I'd not go for that scan unless I was having symptoms of stenosis... said to be rare these days when the ablation is done by one of the top EPs. Jackie
Laura
January 03, 2011 08:46AM
Cyndie, thanks for your input.

Jackie: You might remember, my ablation in September was with Dr. Natale so I'm pretty confident that stenosis is not going to be a problem. My EP said I could have an MRI rather than a CT, which I did not want since I have had two recent CTs of my head due to the TIA. I don't want to be considered a noncompliant patient but I prefer to forego the MRI so I guess I need to have a little talk with my EP. A TEE is scheduled for March to evaluate the left atrial appendage--not looking forward to that. Incidentally, what would you guess the odds are that my ablation was successful? It will be four months on the 9th and, far as I am aware, I've had no afib since my discharge from the hospital. And the bone-shaking ectopics I had for a while have diminished to virtually nothing. Hooray!!

Thanks for your help.
Laura
January 04, 2011 01:49AM
Laura - I don't think your choosing not to do the scans makes you a non-compliant patient... on the contrary, more of an "aware" patient about the radiation dose. Additionally, if the MRI requires a contrast dye (gadolinium) that can also cause problems.

In hindsight, if I were to do it over again, I'd wait to see if I had any symptoms and worry then. At the time when we all did the requisite post-ablation CT scan, we thought they were just collecting study data on the procedure results. I agree that your risk of stenosis is minor since you've had a Natale ablation because his antrum technique specifically avoids that risk.

I'm very pleased to read you are doing so well. Now relax and enjoy life in NSR forever!!!!

Best to you,
Jackie
Laura
January 04, 2011 09:33AM
Jackie, thank you so much for helping me think this through. I really appreciate your insight. And thank you for all that you do on this board.

Laura
Cynthia
January 04, 2011 02:10PM
Hi Laura, I appreciate your dread of the TEE, but like anything, it is just the fear of not knowing what is going to happen. Between the stuff they use to numb your throat and the light anesthetic to put you out, it is over and done with before you know what happened. Everyone is very good at helping to put you at ease. This was something that really scared me, and if I were told I had to have another would not mind in the least.
Cynthia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login