Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium without.....

Posted by JoyceUK 
JoyceUK
Magnesium without.....
January 16, 2010 04:29AM
Is there a magnesium glycinate tablet or capsule that does not contain black pepper, citrate or citric acid?

I've pretty sure that all of these upset my stomach/gut and therefore my heart.

I was enjoying a drink of Natural Calm several times a day and couldn't understand why my heart seemed to be so jumpy, and why I was so bloated.
24 hours of none made such a difference while I just used magnesium orotate [very expensive].

Then I tried Kirkman labs magnesium glycinate, buffered and hypoallergenic, and have a similar problem today. Reading the label carefully - contains citric acid!

I'm waiting for the Blue Bonnet mag glycinate that Sharon takes, but not even sure about the other contents of that from info on iherb.

Joyce
Cyndie
Re: Magnesium without.....
January 16, 2010 04:54AM
Joyce
I have Carlson Mag Glycinate but it also contains citric acid. All the best in your search.
Cyndie
January 16, 2010 05:23AM
Joyce - I've checked several brands and it appears at least from iherb, that is, the BlueBonnet should contain only the magnesium glycinate.

Others have reported stomach irritation from the bioperene added to Drs Best and certainly the citrate form can also be irritating for some individuals.

I don't know if you can find it locally, but Solgar brand which I believe is a UK firm, also has a chelated amino acid magnesium glycinate. Just be sure to read the label carefully because there is a similar product that also contains calcium and it's not readily apparent by looking at the label.

Are you able to get the plain, unflavored version of milk of magnesia in your area? Making a batch of the Waller Water is a good adjunct to supplements especially when your supply runs low. Or... consider that you can use the topical version - magnesium oil. It gets in the blood stream quickly. Yet another substitute would be the foot bath with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate)... and you can improvise with that and also use it in a topical slurry. None of these should irritate your stomach.

Jackie
JoyceUK
January 16, 2010 05:39AM
Jackie wrote:

> Joyce - I've checked several brands and it appears at least
> from iherb, that is, the BlueBonnet should contain only the
> magnesium glycinate.

Thanks Jackie, that's what I'm hoping, also that it hasn't got lost as it was shipped 10days ago and usually small orders get here quickly without being stopped at customs.

> Others have reported stomach irritation from the bioperene
> added to Drs Best and certainly the citrate form can also be
> irritating for some individuals.

Yes it's a pest but I can't eat black pepper anyway so shouldn't have been too surprised about the Drs Best version.
It's only after quite a while of using Natural Calm that I suddenly wondered - duh! I think it also gives me a rash on my arms.

> I don't know if you can find it locally, but Solgar brand which
> I believe is a UK firm, also has a chelated amino acid
> magnesium glycinate. Just be sure to read the label carefully
> because there is a similar product that also contains calcium
> and it's not readily apparent by looking at the label.

I just checked the Solgar types on line and again - citrate or citric acid, can't remember which!

> Are you able to get the plain, unflavored version of milk of
> magnesia in your area? Making a batch of the Waller Water is a
> good adjunct to supplements especially when your supply runs
> low. Or... consider that you can use the topical version -
> magnesium oil. It gets in the blood stream quickly. Yet
> another substitute would be the foot bath with Epsom Salts
> (magnesium sulfate)... and you can improvise with that and also
> use it in a topical slurry. None of these should irritate
> your stomach.

Yes I do use topical mag sulphate, difficulty is knowing how much one is dosing with, and I've never found a version of MOM without peppermint and glycerol, though I do sometimes end up taking a swig anyway!!

Thanks for your helpful comments.
JoyceUK
January 16, 2010 05:44AM
oops I'm telling fibs winking smiley
Solgar contains calcium and iron!

Solgar Chelated Magnesium Supplement Facts
supplement facts
per serving
% daily value
Total Carbohydrate
1Gm
N/A
Dietary Fiber
1Gm
4%
Calcium (As Dicalcium Phosphate)
135Mg
14%
Iron
07Mg
4%
Magnesium (As Magnesium Glycinate Amino Acid Chelate)
400Mg
100%
Sodium
10Mg
N/A
The following products may also be of interest to you:
January 16, 2010 05:48AM
Joyce - Unless they've discontinued it, Solgar does make a magnesium-only chelated amino acid product... nothing else but the chelated magnesium.

Jackie
JoyceUK
January 16, 2010 06:12AM
OK thanks Jackie, I'll check their own website for that.
Joyce x
GeorgeN
January 16, 2010 10:21AM
Joyce,

What about Waller Water? If you make it with plain magnesium hydroxide & carbonated water, it should devoid of the things that make your stomach unhappy.

George
Sharon Glass
January 16, 2010 12:09PM
Joyce, I may not be the same Sharon, but I don't use Blue Bonnet Magnesium, I have always used Carlson Chelated Magnesium Glycinate and even though it has the citrate, it has never bothered me. An occassional hot cup of Natural Calm Citrate does not bother me either, but if I use it on a regular basis it causes me stomach issues. I have been hesitant to change the Carlson brand because it seems to work well for me. Sharon
JoyceUK
January 16, 2010 08:29PM
Jackie,
Solgar's own website don't seem to have a plain magnesium glycinate.

George,
I'll see if I can find a source of hydroxide and then get back to ask you directions!!!!

Sharon,
I must have been having a senior moment as you definitely do post about Carlsons!! Maybe I'd be OK with occasional Natural Calm also, but stomach says NO at the moment.

I seem to remember Fran had problems with supplements and while I didn't think I did some seem to have arisen lately.
I'm under a lot of stress at the moment [yes taking theanine Jackie winking smiley ] so definitely NEED my magnesium.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Joyce
JoyceUK
January 16, 2010 08:44PM
Back again!!

KAL brand now ordered as says:

Other Ingredients

Cellulose, Stearic Acid and Magnesium Stearate.

KAL Guarantees that NO ingredients other than those listed on this label have been added to this product.

but will still investigate others esp the hydroxide for making 'nice' water smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login