Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

question for Jackie on magnesium

Posted by montos 
question for Jackie on magnesium
December 10, 2009 02:01PM

Hi Jackie,

On your (and others here) advice I have purchesd the "doctor's best" chelated magnesium from iherb. The problem I'm having is that the pepper extract in there seems to cause some mild gastritis. I can tolerate it in the morning but since GERD is the #1 trigger for me I'm finding the nighttime dose is a problem.

Can you suggest another brand that doesn't have the black pepper? I saw in an old post you mention it is there to aid in absorbtion but I trust it's presence is not absolutely nessesary?

Thanks,

Montos
GeorgeN
Re: question for Jackie on magnesium
December 10, 2009 03:50PM
Hi Montos,

How about making Waller Water?

Search to find the link describing how to make it.

George
JoyceUK
December 10, 2009 08:03PM
Montos,

I have the same problem with black pepper.

'Kirkman' make a buffered Mag glycinate capsule and I also buy powdered mag orotate which I found in a search.

There's always topical magnesium too - Epsom salts baths/soaks/lotion which you can make cheaply yourself.

Joyce
Erling
December 10, 2009 11:07PM
Montos,

Click on MY FAVORITE SUPPLEMENTS at the top of this page.
At the iHerb store find this Magnesium glycinate:

Bluebonnet Nutrition, Chelated Magnesium

Description

- Buffered Magnesium Glycinate
- Dietary Supplement
- Albion Minerals
- Vegetarian
- Kosher Parve
- Gluten Free
Bluebonnet's Chelated Magnesium 200 mg Capsules provide fully reacted magnesium glycinate, an amino acid chelate mineral. Available in easy-to-sallow vegetable capsules for maximum assimilation and absorption.

Erling

December 11, 2009 12:18AM
Montos - yes the bioperene is known to cause stomach distress for some.

Also - KAL brand has a chelated Albion process magnesium glycinate and then there are two professional grade options offered by Metagenics and Designs for Health. Both are the Albion patented process.

The amino acid delivery has the best record for absorption without any need for further breakdown or risk of dissociation from stomach acid.

Jackie
December 11, 2009 12:19AM
Montos - email me; I have another suggestion. Jackie
December 11, 2009 05:26PM
thanks for all the suggestions.

"There's always topical magnesium too - Epsom salts baths/soaks/lotion which you can make cheaply yourself."
I had considered this but my experience with topical absorbtion is that is it inconsistant and unpredictable and I'm trying to find some stability and get a consistant regimen to keep the afib/pacs/pvcs at bay. This is why a good quality oral supplement would be my first choice.

I was thinking if I do go into afib again I might try an epsom salt bath then to get a big dose of mg++ to try and convert.

Montos
George Eby
December 12, 2009 12:00AM
I use topical magnesium chloride frequently. I mix about a pound of the crystals into a quart and a half of warm water, and by hand paint in onto my skin, sometimes full body. That will stop a lot of magnesium deficiency issues over night. I apply it near bedtime. Overdose? Maybe, but not likely. Start with a small area like a leg. Any dose that is sedating is an overdose.

Get 25 kilograms at [dnpint.com] . Cost? I don't remember, but it is not too expensive. This is an import house of an astonishing variety of nutritional supplements in bulk form. They sell to most of the dietary supplement manufacturers in the world. Chinese origin. Just remember when you take your vitamins and minerals, that the ingredients are most likely of Chinese origin, although the retail bottle will give no indication of that fact.

I say, why fight them when one can join them?
December 12, 2009 12:37AM
George - as long as the retailers or bottles here do screening for impurities (for instance lead) and worse, I see no problem with recognizing that China produces cheap goods. However, if you ingest or absorb enough impurities, you will eventually have other problems that will impact your wallet to a significant degree...not to mention your health.

The reputable bottlers screen for quality when the raw materials arrive and again before the finished product leaves. Some, like BlueBonnet in Texas say they do not import their raw materials. Natural Factors in Canada has one of the best quality assurance programs out there. Some supplements arrive already bottled and may not have additional quality/purity screening.
For this reason ( and others) the FDA is wanting to regulate supplements.

Be forewarned that impurities are not innocuous. Since we can't avoid environmental lead pollution, it makes sense not to add more and it also makes sense to consider regular detoxification protocols to ensure that we don't become bogged down with residual tissue toxins.

Jackie
Marian from Miami
December 12, 2009 02:21AM
George,

"I mix about a pound of the crystals into a quart and a half of warm water, and by hand paint in onto my skin, sometimes full body. "

Have you noticed any dryness of your skin after this application?

Marian
Sharon Glass
December 12, 2009 10:14AM
Montos, I use the Carlson brand of chelated magnesium, can be purchased on Iherb. Never had a problem with it at all. Sharon
GeorgeN
December 12, 2009 11:49AM
I purchased mag chloride in the form of Nigari - the Japanese use it to coagulate tofu. It is made in an evaporation process from sea water. After Jackie & Hans concerns about lead & other heavy metals, I had this tested in a mass spectrometer. It tested very clean the results are here: <[www.afibbers.org];

In LAF FORUM VII there are other posts by me about Nigari and mag chloride (mag oil) The brand is: Mitoku "Bitterns" Natural Nigari
[www.naturalimport.com]

I don't recall having my skin be especially dry. Epsom salts can be used in the same way topically. See the post above this one: <[www.afibbers.org];

George (N not Eby)

Julia
December 13, 2009 06:30PM
Hi Sharon,

is there any difference between the Carlson Chelated Magnesium and the Doctors Best Chelated Magnesium?

I would like to know so that when I run out of the Doctors Best, perhaps I will purchase the Carlson brand.

Look forward to your reply,

warm regards,

Julia

ps I have had gastritis in the past as you know............ thanks! (b4 I started any Magnesium)
December 14, 2009 12:21AM
Julia - I'd think if you have a tendency toward any gastric conditions, then taking a magnesium glycinate without the bioperene (which is in Doctor's Best) would be a better choice for you. The bioperene is derived from black pepper and some report it to have an irritating effect; many do not, but why risk it.

Carlson's is one, KAL is another and Hans'website has Blue Bonnet.... just be sur to read the labels carefully to be sure you don't choose one that also contains calcium as some are combo products. Jackie
Sharon Glass
December 14, 2009 01:01AM
Julia, when I started taking Carlson's I had done research on several and found that most of them had an ingredient or two that I didn't need especially the one with black pepper and I think another concern was some had calcium. The Carlson brand is processed by the Albion Patented process and in researching that I found it to be the best chelate procedure.
It is also timed release and prepared to disintegrate in the system in an hour, which I liked because in the event of afib I need something that disolves rapidly.

The only other ingredients in the Carlson brand is Plant cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, citric acid. I know that sounds like a lot, but other supplements also have a lot of these things. The thing I liked the best is it is salt-free, wheat-free, yeast-free, sugar-free, milk-free, preservative-free (and most important for me) gluten-free.

I understand Carlson is a little more expensive, but I am a great believer if you find something good it is worth the extra cost. I am not saying the other brands are not good, but this has proven to be the best for me.

Sharon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login