Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium stearate in supplements causes biofilm

Posted by Jackie 
Magnesium stearate in supplements causes biofilm
September 11, 2009 04:52AM
I have listened to many hours of fascinating interviews with Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD, Founder of the American Academy of Neural Therapy, Medical Director of the Institute of Neurobiology, and lead clinician at the Comprehensive Medical Centre, all located in Bellevue, Washington. He is also Founder and Chairman of Klinghardt Academy (UK), Institute for Neurobiology (Germany) and CYNIK (Switzerland).

This link to a contribution by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt is worth the time to listen and read the arguments about additives in supplements clogging up absorption sites on the small intestine caused by biofilm. This is not new information, but something to always consider and be aware of. The related reading links at the end of the article are also worth noting. [articles.mercola.com].

Bottlers of supplements use the magnesium stearate to maximize capsule filling speed. One would think that a truly ethical company would resist sing that additive. Dr. Klinghardt mentioned in his original interview that he felt it was an unconscionable practice considering the health impact.

Hans just commented that New Chapter has a new line of organic food-based multi-vitamins available through his iHerb weblink. It would be a good idea to sort through those options to see what substitutes might be used. Several of my holistic doctors of the past preferred the Standard Process products because they are derived from whole-food sources.

Whenever possible, I try to choose supplements in bulk powders just to avoid the inclusion of fillers such as magnesium stearate.

This clogging of the intestinal villi may be one of the reasons why some people are unable to benefit from supplements... that is the villi are blocked and absorption through those portals is inhibited…so the nutrients pass on through the body unabsorbed.

As we know, the saying goes… “You are what you Absorb or Assimilate.”

Fillers and additives were discussed previously in CR Session 46 - good to review once again. [www.afibbers.org]

Hans' announcement: <[www.afibbers.org]>

In 2007 Dr. Klinghardt was awarded the prestigious “physician of the year” from the Global Foundation for Integrative Medicine for his work, which is known through his teachings worldwide.
[www.klinghardt.org]

Healing the Brain
seminar by Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt Brain Fog, ADHD, Autism, Alzheimers Disease and Parkinsons are all increasing. Mercury and other heavy metals, electro-smog and chronic infections from Lyme and Clamydia to the herpes viruses and EBV may all play a role.
<[video.google.com]#>
[www.klinghardtacademy.com]

Jackie
Re: Magnesium stearate in supplements causes biofilm
September 12, 2009 09:41AM
Jackie,

Yikes! This seems to be a huge issue. I've just been through all my supplements (probably several hundred dollars worth), and it seems like they pretty much all contain magnesium stearate. This includes the Doctor's Best mag. glycinate that has been so much recommended on this board, and several Designs for Health products.

I'm tempted to ask: Where do we go from here? I'm trying to envision the implications.

In the interview on Mercola's web site, Dr. Klinghardt mentions a "few small" supplement companies that don't use magnesium stearate. How can we find out which these are? I guess New Chapter is one. I have a Standard Process product at hand; it contains calcium stearate.

On the other hand, a brief Google search turns up this newsletter from Douglas Labs, with a response to the "putative toxicity" of magnesium stearate or stearic acid:

[bit.ly]

I'm not quite ready to toss out all my supplements, but I am concerned.

Best wishes to all!

--Lance
September 13, 2009 12:47AM
Lance - I agree it is an eye opener. I have several 'professional grade' supplement products that also are labeled as using magnesium stearate (MgSt) which is very disappointing. And, like you, I'm not ready to throw them out, either. It's one of the reasons why I am trying to buy bulk powders when available just to avoid the machine lubricant.

I've begun emailing each bottler and making a formal complaint. The squeaky wheel principle. Maybe if enough consumers do so, it will have an impact. I rather doubt it but I'm going to try.

Thanks for that link to Douglas Labs commentary on this topic. However, note they are addressing toxicity rather than a physical accumulation or blockage issue. It does make sense that in those of us who take an abundance of supplements daily might have residues or accumulations that aren't naturally disbursed. We 'health nuts' take far more supplements than most, I'm sure; and therefore, our exposure to MgSt is far greater than those who take a mere 4 - 6 capsules a day.

MgSt has been described as a waxy residue that is insoluble in water.

Jackie

Magnesium stearate, also called octadecanoic acid, magnesium salt, is a white substance which is solid at room temperature. It has the chemical formula Mg(C18H35O2)2. It is a salt containing two equivalents of stearate (the anion of stearic acid) and one magnesium cation (Mg2+). Magnesium stearate melts at about 88 °C, is not soluble in water, and is generally considered safe for human consumption. Because it is widely regarded as harmless, it is often used as a diluent[1] in the manufacture of medical tablets, capsules and powders.[2] In this regard, the substance is also useful because it has lubricating properties, preventing ingredients from sticking to manufacturing equipment during the compression of chemical powders into solid tablets; magnesium stearate is the most commonly used lubricant for tablets.[3] It is used to bind sugar in hard candies. It is also a common ingredient in baby formulas. In pure powder form, the substance can be a dust explosion hazard,[4] although this issue is effectively insignificant beyond the manufacturing plants using it.

When used as a filling agent in the manufacture of capsules and tablets, such as vitamins, the source of this ingredient is typically bovine. However, there is an increasing number of vegetarian options in which the product specifically indicates it contains magnesium stearate from vegetable sources.

Magnesium stearate is a major component of "bathtub rings". When produced by soap and hard water, magnesium stearate and calcium stearate both form a white solid insoluble in water, and are collectively known as "soap scum".

[www.answers.com]
September 13, 2009 02:07AM
Thanks, Jackie. Interesting. Bathtub ring scum!

So far, the only company I can find that promises no fillers like magnesium stearate is Pure Encapsuations:

[www.purecaps.com]

Their products are not easily available on the internet, certainly not from iHerb. They are also relatively expensive.

Curiously, considering Dr. Mercola's featuring of Dr. Klinghardt's views on biofilm and stearate on his web site, I find that a bottle of "Dr. Mercola's Whole Food Multivitamin" capsules that I recently purchased lists "vegetable stearate" under "Other Ingredients." I noted this last night on the comments section at the bottom of that page, and asked how vegetable stearate is different from magnesium stearate." Mercola responded simply, and somewhat evasively: "There is no magnesium stearate in any of our supplements." See:

[bit.ly] [Comments, page 2]

But what is the difference between vegetable stearate and magnesium stearate?

Also in the comments below the Mercola article is a link to an opposing view on mag. stearate, thus:

[bit.ly]

"There is simply no known risk or technical reason not to use magnesium stearate in small and appropriate amounts during the production of dietary supplements. To the contrary, when used properly magnesium stearate assists in making a uniform and better quality product. . . .

"Bad mouthing magnesium stearate is nothing more than a sales pitch. , , , the prices are hyped up nice and high to go along with the sales pitch."

So it goes . . .

Best wishes!

--Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login