Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's in your water? Ca:Mg ratio?

Posted by Erling 
Erling
What's in your water? Ca:Mg ratio?
July 09, 2009 04:30AM
'The Magnesium Factor' by Drs. Seelig and Rosanoff details the huge health consequences of dietary calcium excess when combined with dietary magnesium deficiency. It is known that Ca and Mg contents in one's water will strongly influence the total dietary intake ratio between the two minerals. A table in the book shows Ca and Mg content for water in various U.S. cities. For Denver, where I live, the ratio is about 4 to 1, Ca to Mg. Startling! Was this accurate? Could this be the reason I developed a-fib only after living in Denver for 10 years, when my first 6o odd years had been without a quiver? Why my 'cure' came largely from overcoming a Mg deficiency? I went to denverwater.org for facts. (By the way, a graph in the book shows 4:1 dietary Ca:Mg correlating with the world's highest death rate from ishemic heart disease.)

Erling

Denver domestic water is largely 'surface runoff' from mountain snow and rain. There are three treatment plants delivering water to the 'taps'. The following numbers for Ca and Mg are from

Denver WaterÂ’s 2008 Treated Water Quality Summary Report
[denverwater.org]

Data Tables for Treated Water
(mg/L, average values)

Marston Treatment Plant
Ca 29, Mg 7. Ratio ~4:1

Foothills Treatment Plant
Ca 27, Mg 7. Ratio ~4:1

Moffat Treatment Plant
Ca 14, Mg 2.2. Ratio ~6:1
Joy
Re: What's in your water? Ca:Mg ratio?
July 10, 2009 02:54AM
That information is very revealing. Guess it would be a good idea to check with my water department and see if I they will give me a readout.

I have read on this forum that calcium to magnesium ratio should be 1/2 the amount of calcium to magnesium ingested (with a few precautions to calcium intake).

Author: Jackie (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: 02-28-09 07:35

Barb - ideally, the magnesium intake should be twice that of calcium just to be sure you don't end up with excess free calcium in the blood which will then deposit in soft tissues like blood vessels, aorta, bone spurs etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login