Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trick for palpitating less at the computer

Posted by Nick Bentley 
Nick Bentley
trick for palpitating less at the computer
June 08, 2009 07:40AM
I've been having lots of extra and skipped beats lately, due to some rather extreme stress that I haven't been very good at controlling or even being aware of. As someone with a history of Afib, I'd like to keep my heart as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Today I was being all stressed out and non-functional and palpitation-y, and in a rare fit of creativity I came up with something of a solution, which has made my afternoon not only go very well, but it's completely calmed down my heart. I thought I'd pass it along.

I found an online metronome (http://webmetronome.com/), and then started pacing my breaths to it at a low rate. I set it up at 30 bpm, with a higher pitched tone on every fourth beat. Then I inhale over 4 beats, and exhale over 4 beats. So a full breath is 16 seconds.

It does tax the concentration to always have a part of the focus on the breath, but I tell you, I'm way calmer and it's alot less distracting than constant palpitations. My heart rate is slower too.

If anyone here tries it, tell us how it goes.
Cyndie
Re: trick for palpitating less at the computer
June 08, 2009 07:51AM
This is nearly identical process to the Institute of Heartmath "emwave" program. It is very helpful. But more potassium and magnesium also really helps calm the palpitations.
Cyndie
Nick Bentley
June 08, 2009 09:27AM
huh. I didn't know about the heart math thing. I have a little device which is similar called the StressEraser, but you have to keep your finger stuck into a pulse monitor in order to use it, so not good for breathing while working.

Oddly, magnesium and potassium never've seemed to have any effect for me.
Cyndie
June 08, 2009 10:56AM
Emwave is similiar in that you wear a pulse monitor on ear or finger and breathe rhythmically.
I guess I am low on mag and potassium as taking extra with epsom salt baths has stopped the run of palpitations that started 2 months ago.
I find that squeezing as if I am trying to have a bowel movement slows the heart down almost immediately. Just be careful ;-)
GeorgeN
June 08, 2009 03:43PM
Hi Nick,

This guy played around with the FreezeFramer (now emwave) & determined that 6 breaths/minute were optimum. See:
[www.coherence.com]

Also is an argument that you're increasing serum CO2 (a good thing). See info on Buteyko breathing <[www.afibbers.org]; also the RespErate device which arguably does the same thing: [www.resperate.com]

George
PeggyM
June 08, 2009 07:34PM
"Oddly, magnesium and potassium never've seemed to have any effect for me.'
Will you tell us what kinds you have tried? Some forms are more useful than others.
PeggyM
Nick Bentley
June 08, 2009 11:55PM

> "Oddly, magnesium and potassium never've seemed to have any
> effect for me.'
> Will you tell us what kinds you have tried? Some forms are more
> useful than others.
> PeggyM

It was a long time ago now, so I don't remember the details, but I do remember reading up on all the different forms, and trying several. My only recent experiment is with an epsom salt bath that seems to have actually made things worse.
Nick Bentley
June 08, 2009 11:58PM
Mike wrote:

> I find that squeezing as if I am trying to have a bowel
> movement slows the heart down almost immediately. Just be
> careful ;-)

Butt Kegels!
Nick Bentley
June 09, 2009 02:33AM
Mike wrote:

> I find that squeezing as if I am trying to have a bowel
> movement slows the heart down almost immediately. Just be
> careful ;-)

I guess this is a vagal stimulation thing?

I've discovered another thing that seems to calm me and my heart down that falls into the category of "a little bit weird". This is the first time I've ever told this to anyone.

I grab a flap of tissue on either side of my belly button, one in each hand, and then I rapidly pull up and down in opposite directions, so my stomach is jiggling alot. I do it for 15-30 secs. Ridiculous, I know. Doesn't look sexy at cocktail parties.
June 10, 2009 07:14AM
Nick - remember that posture can play an important role in a potential cause of ectopy or afib as a result of slouching or sitting 'scrunched' at the mid-section. If there is extra adipose tissue(fat) there, that will also serve to help crowd the diaphragm.

The diaphragm is enervated by the vagus nerve which also enervates the heart. An irritated (scrunched) vagus can be a trigger. So, whether sitting at the computer slouched or slouching after a large meal, you run the risk of crowding the diaphragm and vagus. Just be aware. Limit your time if you can't sit straight and definitely don't slouch in an easy chair after a meal.

Jackie
Nick Bentley
June 10, 2009 08:00AM
Jackie wrote:

> The diaphragm is enervated by the vagus nerve which also
> enervates the heart. An irritated (scrunched) vagus can be a
> trigger. So, whether sitting at the computer slouched or
> slouching after a large meal, you run the risk of crowding the
> diaphragm and vagus.

Interesting. Eating always gives me extra/skipped beats. I suppose "crowded vagus" is likely why.
June 10, 2009 09:30AM
Nick - well - actually, it's most likely attributed to a food sensitivity. Try experimenting. If you typically eat a certain food at every meal, try going without it for several days and see if you still have the skipped beats. It could be one food or half a dozen or more but a sure sign of sensitivity is faster pulse and it' seems reasonable to make the ectopy part of the sensitivity reaction. The most likely offenders for food sensitivities are
wheat (gluten), egg, dairy, corn, shell fish, tree nuts, peanuts, soy.

I'll dig out some info on the Pulse Test and post it for you if my computer remains stable. Old way to check on food sensitivities.

Sensitivities as opposed to allergies. With true allergy reactions, you become short of breath, fall down, go into anaphlactic shock etc. These sensitivities are most often caused by eating the same foods, many times a day and often there is a leaky gut problem as well so these proteins get into the bloodstream quickly and cause reactions.... elevated pulse or HR, often other reactions such as itching, hives, etc.

The Conference Room #54 is on an observation that people using the Paleo style of eating often have success in eliminating afib. I hypothethized it was most likely because Paleo eliminates grains and by eliminating the gluten/gliaden protein connection, the inflammatory response was also eliminated. Same could be true for dairy proteins.

Check it out.[www.afibbers.org]

Leave no stone unturned when trying to figure out your triggers.

Jackie
Nick Bentley
June 10, 2009 01:02PM
Wow, thank you *very* much for all this information Jackie. This is very useful stuff. Faster pulse is certainly part of my reaction to food. I'll do some experimenting, and possibly even get a test. A couple things I have noticed:

there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between the glycemic index of the food and its ability to stimulate extra/skipped beats.

Gluten almost certainly causes it as well. That gluten protein stuff that they serve at vegan places sends my heart into a wild frenzy.
June 11, 2009 12:44AM
Nick - I should have also mentioned that while we consider 'food' as just that - food, we should remember that unless it is whole, fresh food, prepared at home, it is apt to be tainted with seasonings that are very often considered excitotoxins. This would include MSG and all of it's hidden forms. Other seasonings, preservatives or food colorings can do the same.

As you have observed about the vegan places, often these attempts at food substitutes for 'whole' foods are recognizable are culprits--especially so, when so many grains now are genetically modified or engineered. They then contain injected protein bodies and often weird components like viruses that are unrecognizable as food in our body. Just so you know, organic foods are not supposed to be genetically engineered.

Rule - eat organic when possible. Eat only plain, whole foods prepared in the most simplistic of methods and avoid grains. That would be a good start to eliminating your palpitations and hopefully, your afib as well if you shore up your essential nutrients including the essential electrolytes.

As for the glycemix index indicator, if that is a common thread in your elevated pulse... then it can either be the insulin response to the elevated blood sugar that results from the GI intake....and/or the fact that most GI foods are grain-derived... most, not all, obviously. So...once again, the Paleo idea of eating would be useful as it avoids high glycemic index type foods.

If you don't know your fasting glucose and insulin levels, that would be a good start.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login