Advanced

Magnesium chelate, magnesium stearate, magnesium aspartate

Posted by CatalinRo 
Can anyone explain me the meaning of those words:
- chelate,
- stearate,
- aspartate
CatalinRo the dictionary says -

chelate, a chemical compound in which metallic and nonmetallic, usually organic, atoms are combined. These compounds are characterized by a ring structure in which a metal ion is attached to two nonmetal ions by covalent bonds.

stearate, a salt or ester of stearic acid

aspartate a salt or ester of aspartic acid

In other words I think it is a form that the particular supplement is made of or is comprised of. I think the chelate is the one that absorbs better in the body.

Now, someone who knows a better way to explain, or, if I am wrong, please correct. SHaron
Catalin,

The only one of the organic magnesium compounds you mention that is useful for afibbers is magnesium glycinate or chelated magnesium. Magnesium stearate is used, in extremely small amounts, as a lubricant in some vitamin formulations, but you definitely would not want to use it as a supplement on its own. Magnesium aspartate contains aspartic acid which is highly stimulating and should not be used by afibbers either.

Hans
"Magnesium stearate is used, in extremely small amounts, as a lubricant in some vitamin formulations"

I've read that it is used to lubricate the manufacturing machinery, that is its only purpse.

William
William, William...
I notice in "My favorite supplements" that also Magnesium chelate advertise in this forum contain magnesium stearate and stearic acid.

So, the bottom line is that "Magnesium aspartate" very much present in my country is not good for affibers.
This rule is true for both forms vagal and adrenergic?

Another form I could find Magnesium here is "magnesium lactate-dihydrate" in a pill that associated also B6 vitamin. This type of magnesium is good or wrong?

Thank you,
Re: Magnesium chelate, magnesium stearate, magnesium aspartate
April 12, 2009 07:54AM
One of my favorite Certified Clinical Nutritionists, Byron Richards, addresses
magnesium stearate in a recent column.

[www.wellnessresources.com]

Jackie
Marian from Miami
April 12, 2009 08:30AM
Jackie,

Thank you so much for this post. It is the most sensible information yet that I have found regarding the much maligned mg stearate.

Marian : )
April 12, 2009 09:43AM
Marian - Byron is a great resource for reliable information. No nonsense approach. Glad you found it helpful. Jackie
He writes that magnesium stearate is harmless, then does a lengthy rant on stearic acid.
They are not the same thing. Neither is magnesium.
Lots of stearic acid in the kidney fat I render to make pemmican. It makes it taste like candle wax.

He also writes:"I use as little magnesium stearate as possible when formulating products, usually 1%. "

Makes me wonder why so little, if it is harmless.

William
Catalin,

How about magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts MgSO4) or Magnesium Citrate (C6H6O7Mg). Both can be used orally or topically. However you must start with a very low dose for oral use and increase very slowly till your bowels start to get watery. Then reduce dose slightly.

Currently, I am taking 1.2 grams/day of magnesium citrate along with 0.8 grams/day of chelated magnesium glycinate.

George
Catalin,

Another thought - search for "food grade" (hrană grad?) magnesium citrate/sulphate/chloride or whatever form you are looking for. This may give you another local source from those who manufacture food products or sell to food manufacturers.

George
April 13, 2009 01:21AM
So little would mean only enough to facilitate blending the product in the capsule... but not so much as to crowd out the main ingredient.(s) There is only so much that can go into a small capsule and still meet the labeling standards. You aren't buying the product for magnesium stearate.
This one really spills the beans on mg stearate:[tiny.cc]
[74.125.77.132]

So it blocks absorption, and you are wasting your money at least.

William
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login