Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To Hans:your questions re B.Subtilis, natto food and candida

Posted by Dean 
Hi Hans,
Sorry for the long delay in answering your questions but my life is chaotic at the moment with work issues, preparing to sell my house, buy house and move up the coast for a sea change into “semi” retirement.

You asked the following questions re candida:

“I am most interested in your statement that Bacillus Subtilis eats the candida fungus. As you know candidiasis is a huge and growing health problem and if eating natto food 5 times a week is the solution I am sure many people, and not only afibbers, would happily start gulping down the stuff.

I have two questions on this:

1. Is the fact that natto kills candida a personal observation or do you have any references to clinical trials or epidemiological studies that describes this?

2. How much natto do you now consume per day?”

Discussion:
With your connections Hans, it would be interesting to see if you could do further research into the link between B. Subtillis and afib/candida. There are B. Subtillis supplements available and Israel and Germany seem to use them the most. Gernmany and Japan did a lot of promising research into B. Subtillis during WWII era but it was scrapped and shelved in favour of the emerging antibiotics. You could have a B. Subtillis supplement available in your online supplement store. It would be very interesting to see the results of a B. Subtillis supplement on afibbers. You have to do careful research though as most B. Subtillis supplements contain other unwanted bacillus species that can cause problems. You need to find a pure B. Subtillis supplement. The million dollar question is will they mimic my excellent results using natto food? As you know, I have tried to get afibbers to try natto food over the last 4 yrs but it just hasn’t happened (lazy sods). I still remain a highly successful experiment of one. Maybe using a supplement of B. Subtillis is the answer? Its definitely easier to consume than natto food. This would make a good conference topic on afibbers. Over to you.

Answers to question one:

This is from the US Environmental Protection Authority and is amongst the best info on B. Subtilis I have come across - well worth reading the entire article. I have also added the bit about B. Subtilis producing a mild toxin called subtilisin. This is probably what caused an allergic reaction in “George N” when he was eating natto and who posts frequently on the board.

[www.epa.gov]

“B. subtilis has been shown to produce a wide variety of antibacterial and antifungal compounds (Katz and Demain, 1977; Korzybski et al., 1978). It produces novel antibiotics such as difficidin and oxydifficidin that have activity against a wide spectrum of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria (Zimmerman et al., 1987) as well as more common antibiotics such as bacitracin, bacillin, and bacillomycin B (Parry et al., 1983). The use of B. subtilis as a biocontrol agent of fungal plant pathogens is being investigated because of the effects of antifungal compounds on Monilinia fructicola (McKeen et al., 1986), Aspergillus flavus and A. parasiticus (Kimura and Hirano, 1988), and Rhizoctonia (Loeffler et al., 1986).

“B. subtilis does produce an extracellular toxin known as subtilisin. Although subtilisin has very low toxigenic properties (Gill, 1982), this proteinaceous compound is capable of causing allergic reactions in individuals who are repeatedly exposed to it (Edberg, 1991). Sensitization of workers to subtilisin may be a problem in fermentation facilities where exposure to high concentration of this compound may occur. Exposure limits to subtilisin are regulated by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) (29 CFR 1900, et seq.) “

Don’t know how good the research is with this website article below and their trying to sell B. Subtilis supplements so caution is needed. SBO below stands for soil born organisms (B.Subtilis). If some of the research is correct then it makes B. Subtilis a very interesting bacterium:

[www.sbocritters.com]

“Function #4: The SBO’s are extremely aggressive against pathological molds,
yeast, fungi, and viruses. They quickly engulf and ingest harmful microbes such
as Candida albicans, Candida parapsilosis, Penicillium frequens, Penicillium
notatum, Mucor racemosus, Aspergillus niger and many others, which would
otherwise infect the body and cause serious illness and even chronic
degenerative disease. In eliminating pathogenic microbes, the SBO’s end up
allowing the over-worked immune system to rest and gain strength.”

My other research papers for B. Subtilis and natto food:

[www.explorepub.com]
Immunostimulation by Bacillus Subtilis

[www.springerlink.com]
Natto food is a strong natural ACE inhibitor

[aac.asm.org]
Anti helicobacter pylori activity of B. Subtilis

[circres.ahajournals.org]
Phytoestrogen Genistein in the natto food affecting cardiac ion channels and holding cardiac chloride ion channels in the open position –very technical article

<[www.nutritiondata.com]#>
nutrition facts for natto food

[www.gaia21.net]
A compilation of easy to read general information collected on natto food from internet articles

[www.naturalnews.com]
You could also add the phytoestrogen, red clover to partner the B. Subtilis supplement to closer mimic the natto food properties.

There is also the large quantity of Vitamin K2 produced by B. Subtilis but Jackie has covered the K2 topic in great depth so won’t go into it here.

Answers to question two:
This is my organic natto brand. Note that I do not ever eat the seasoning sauce (loaded with MSG):
[www.ichibajunction.com.au]

I have now been eating natto food for 4 years and afib free for 6 years. I eat 50gms organic natto (1 container) no less than 5 times a week. The organic natto soy beans are two thirds the size of the standard GM natto and is better tasting (if that’s possible with natto). I have a rule where I NEVER GO MORE THAN 2 DAYS NOT EATING NATTO. I have experimented by stopping natto altogether but pac’s/pvc’s go from a couple a day (when eating natto) to hundreds after 5 or 6 days – I have never gone beyond 9 days without natto as I fear a breakthrough afib attack. After 3 days back eating the natto the ectopics subside back to normal of only a couple a day.

Hope this helps your research into the B. Subtilis / natto food / candida and afib link

Dean in Sydney
As you know, I have tried to get afibbers to try natto food over the last 4 yrs but it just hasn’t happened (lazy sods).

Oi Dean!!!! you cheeky ozzy! winking smiley

I ate natto regularly for a couple of years but didn't find it particularly helpful but maybe your comments about B.Subtilis toxin apply to me also.
Though I am considering giving it another try ...will let you know!

Glad it's worked for you.

Joyce
Hi Dean,

I ascribe to being a lazy sod. I think my sensitivity is to soy, in general, not natto specifically. I've considered making my own natto, fermenting a legume other than soy, but have been too lazy to do so. Your post does motivate me to pursue this.

This fellow has made natto from lentils & black beans:
[www.pitonatto.blogspot.com]

Natto starter is available here - they do ship internationally:
[www.gemcultures.com]

My wife is not a natto person & I may have to find a place other than our kitchen to ferment it.

Always interesting to read your posts!

Cheers,

George
Hi George and Joyce,
Good to see some of the veteran posters still around. The board needs a bit of humour occasionally.

George,
Thanks for the links above. When I move house there is no place to buy natto food so I'm going to have to make it. Should be fun.......I deal with rice farmers in my work so will try and obtain some rice straw and wrap it in the soy beans for 48hrs or more at above 104deg F and see what happens. This is the old traditional way of making natto. I'll probably end up with more cockroaches than soy beans.

Dean
Hi Dean,

Here are some more links on making your own natto. Common thread - make sure everything is sterile before starting the fermentation. Want to make sure you are only culturing the natto bacillus. I'm not sure what you'll get if you use the rice straw. Though when you read about it, the natto bacillus seems to be ubiquitous.

[www.helium.com]
[www.gaia21.net]
[www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org]

George
Dean wrote:
I'll probably end up with more
> cockroaches than soy beans.
>

You might find those to be an excellent cheap source of taurine.
"Dean saves the starving world" smiling smiley

Joyce
Probably paleo, but I'll wait 'til someone else tries them.

William
Hello Dean,

Thanks so much for the information on natto. It will take me a little while to "digest" it!!

Hans
Hi Joyce,

I too tried Natto but never with the conviction and determination it perhaps deserves looking at Dean's results!

Where did you previously get yours from?? Did you get it sent to you and, if so, where/who form and did it travel OK??

Kind Regards,

Mike F.
Mike F. wrote:

> Where did you previously get yours from?? Did you get it sent
> to you and, if so, where/who form and did it travel OK??

Hi Mike,

I got mine from [www.mountfuji.co.uk] [Tel: 01743 741169] in Shrewsbury. I phoned them up and they used to pack 24 sachets [from memory], post them first class either Mon or Tues and generally I got them next day, all the way to Outer Hebs!
Sometimes they would be a couple of days, but I just put them straight into the freezer.

They asked their supplier if re-freezing would be a problem and it was suggested that quality might deteriorate a bit and probably best not to keep them too long!

I only ever ate half a sachet at a time.

I think they use courier for mainland deliveries so might be best to phone and speak to someone.

Let us know if you do try natto and next week I'll order some more also!

Kind regards,
Joyce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login