Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vagl A-fib

Posted by Mike 
Mike
Vagl A-fib
February 12, 2009 05:32AM
If a-fib is accompanied by lots of belching, it it more likely to be vagal. I am really stumped as to whether my afib is vagal. It usually occurs after eating lunch or at night. I am a very fit frequent exerciser with no heart disease so I'm thinking that I'm probably more likely to have the vagal form. I also have always had lots of digestive issues. My lone a-fib first manifested itself during a very stressful period of time when I was also unable to run due to an injury. Any comments would be appreciated.
Mike
Re: Vagl A-fib
February 12, 2009 08:47AM
Mike - No, I'd not say that vagal afib is typically accompanied with belching... but it does happen with afibbers who have a food sensitivity or in those who have Candida overgrowth, intestinal dysbiosis or lack of digestive enzymes including lack of adequate stomach acid.

Suggest you spend some time reading about symptoms in the Conference Room Session "No More Heartburn"
[www.afibbers.org]

See if you can identify yourself in some of the scenarios of signs and symptoms. If you do, post again and we can help direct you to some remedies.

A great number of afibbers have reported that a diet free of gluten helps eliminate digestive problems along with afib. And, if a person is sensitive to dairy proteins or is unable to digest the milk sugar, lactase, they can also suffer from gas and bloating.

If you use the onsite search box at the top and type in Stress, Anxiety - you'll find a number of links that discuss using theanine as an aid to combat stress. Stress is a likely trigger or contributes to setting the scene so it becomes a trigger.

Once you've done some reading, let us know how it syncs with your set of symptoms and circumstances.

Gut issues are definitely contributory to afib... but then so are stress, food sensitivities and a whole host of other potentials that are highly individualistic to each biochemistry.

Jackie
steve
February 13, 2009 12:27AM
Mike et al,

I've posted this viewpoint before and seem to have little company in this regard, but my experience is that belching is a consequence of a-fib, both adrenergic and vagal, not a cause.

At the very least, the triggering element is common, and the relationship is not causal. Whether induced by exercise or in likely vagal situations, the onset of belching is essentially simultaneous with arrhythmia and subsides nearly simultaneously with return to NSR.

That's my unconventional 2 cents worth.

Steve
Vinny
February 13, 2009 01:42AM
Steve, the question of whether belching precedes the onset of a-fib, possibly stimulating the vagal nerve resulting in ectopic beats, premature supraventricular complexes, SVT or atrial fibrillations or whether it is a consequence of the a-fib is an interesting, but at this time, unresolved issue. I look forward to a conclusive explanation as to the relationship between belching and afib other than it is caused by anxiety.
February 13, 2009 02:10AM
You may find something in the following articles by Dr. Rochlitz that makes the connection for you. The connection between the vagus nerve, the diaphragm, stomach and heart is worth investigating.

A missing link to chronic illness, allergies and longevity? Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome
Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients , August-Sept, 2003 by Steve Rochlitz
[findarticles.com]

Hiatal Hernia/Vagus Nerve Disorder: a leading cause of allergies & chronic illness -- Letter to the Editor --update to my article on the Hiatal Hernia/Vagus Nerve Disorder Syndrome
Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients , Jan, 2004 by Steven Rochlitz
[findarticles.com]

Jackie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login