Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resperate

Posted by Nel 
Nel
Resperate
April 30, 2008 08:04AM
Hi,
Has anyone tried the Resperate for High Blood pressure? Seems my pressure is all ways jumping all around or up when I've had an episone of Afib...I know they are expensive, but would be worth it to keep my pressure down..and maybe out of afib..
Thanks........Nel
Tony Reynolds
Re: Resperate
April 30, 2008 11:18AM
Nel,
I will admit my ignorance. What is resperate?
Tony

PeggyM
April 30, 2008 11:38AM
Nel and Tony, here is a recent post from GeorgeN describing Resperate.

[www.afibbers.org]

Here is a paragraph from that post talking about Resperate and giving websites for more information:

"4. Here in the states, they advertise a device to lower BP, RespErate.

[www.resperate.com]

As far as I can tell, what it does is get you to breathe at a rate of 5 breaths/minute or so for 15 minutes, 2x. day. You can do this without a machine. Here is another site with research for this kind of breathing:

[www.coherence.com] "

PeggyM
GeorgeN
April 30, 2008 12:20PM
Peggy,

You have a great memory. Thanks! I've made your links live.

<[www.afibbers.org];
[www.resperate.com]
[www.coherence.com]

George
PeggyM
April 30, 2008 08:50PM
No great memory feat there, George, but thank you for that compliment. I just typed resperate into the search function and hit search, and there it was.
PeggyM
Scott
May 01, 2008 02:24AM
I purchased a Resperate about 6 months ago. I used it according to instructions for the first month and a half and did notice a general lowering of my BP, however not as much as I had hoped. I was just diagnosed as pre-hypertensive and wanted to avoid going on any bp med. While it had a general lowering effect, it seemed to impact the systolic more than the diastolic, which is what was more up for me. I ended up going on about 10mg of Zestril, and that along with regular exercise has kept me generally in normal limits. I did find the Resparate good in helping me focus on my breathing, which I have found tends to fall into more quick and shallow breathing when I don't focus on slower, deep breathing.

If you are a type A, and need help focusing on slowing down I think the resperate would be a good device to have. I still use mine intermittently, and over the summer will try to get more religious about it to see if my other lifestyle changes (Paleo Diet), along with Resperate, can lead to my dropping the Zestril.

I also would recommend Dr. Sinatra's books as being very helpful in overall cardio and bp management.
Nel
May 01, 2008 11:12AM
Gee, thanks Peggy,
I went to the web site you gave me, and played it on 'Real Player' and did the exercise. I happen to think, That would probably work with my Metronome, and it does. I can just set the speed up, and it works great.. you just saved me a few hundred.
Thanks again, and hugs......Nel
Dick
May 01, 2008 11:57AM
The Resperate device helps you to slow down your breathing by presenting a repeated series of hymn-like chords at an increasingly slower tempo.

Besides possibly helping to lower blood pressure, it can be a great help in relaxing you, in relieving anxiety, and helping you to get to sleep or go back to sleep. If you have ever wanted to try meditation -- or think that you "should", but have found it too challenging, this device can help.

BTW, one can make a CD of the chords at one tempo that is easier to take on trips and can be played on a portable CD player. You should do this if you want to use it for sleep because if you use the device, a voice telling you to follow the music will wake you up when you fall asleep.

-- Dick
PeggyM
May 01, 2008 12:32PM
Nel, it makes me glad to think i have been some help to you. Take care.
PeggyM
Don Andert
May 02, 2008 12:46PM
When the physicians kept trying to get me to take drugs to lower my blood pressure I rebelled. They wanted put me on Trestrill and/or Zebeta, both blood pressure lowering drugs.
An Internal Medicine physician advised me to reject that idea and control it naturally. He stated that the drugs over time cause other problems and must be increased in dosage.
Their recommendation was to practice what they called Yoga breathing. I tried this and found it worked but required decipline.
Next I read about the Resparate and got that. That turned out to be great. My BP dropped from around 150 Sys to a normally 120 - 105, with a good reduction in Diastolic also.
I have been overjoyed with the device and take it with me in the automobile and on trips. My Cardiologist can't believe the improvement in BP.
Of course you have to use it about 15 minutes a day. I normally lay down on the bed or couch for about 20 minutes a day to practice. It really helps train you how to breath. I'M SOLD ON IT!
Nel
May 03, 2008 01:43PM
Hi Don,
I'll get one if nothing else works..I have some meditation programs on my desktop that I try to do one every day. I really don't like the idea of my BPbeing up to around 150 160sys. during the day, and only drops to the 130s and 140s after sitting all evening. I think that has something to do with Afib.,still have to talk to Dr. about that..
Thanks.....Nel
Tibbar
May 15, 2008 11:40AM
I have had the device for a few weeks. For exmple, it can lower. my Bp down from say 140 to 120 and from 80 to 70. How long it keeps BP down (if at all I am not certain yet)...But I think it is very good....definitely helps you relax.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login