Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

raw garlic while on aspirin?

Posted by robert scott 
robert scott
raw garlic while on aspirin?
January 11, 2008 05:45AM
I read in the Thrombus and Stroke Prevention book page 37 that garlic supplements should not be taken with aspirin or warfarin. Does anyone know if about 3 raw garlic cloves daily would be too much garlic to consume while on 162mg of aspirin therapy?
Thanks

Re: raw garlic while on aspirin?
January 11, 2008 07:14AM
Robert - I presume you are doing the garlic for the antiplatelet activity?

I have the A-Z Guide to Drug-Herb-Vitamin Interactions and it says under garlic that:

Garlic has been shown to help prevent atherosclerosis perhaps by reducing the ability of the platelets to stick together. Interferring with the action of platelets results in an incrase in the tendency toward bleeding.

Standardized extracts of garlic have been asociated with bleeding in people only on rare occasions.

People on Ticlid (pltelet inhibiting drug) are cautioned to avoid products containign standard extracts of garlic and to avoid eating more than one clove of garlic daily.

A google search indicates:

A nice article on garlic by James Balch, MD
[www.innerself.com]

Another link:

Contraindications:
The German Commission E reported that no contraindications were known. However, some sources recommend against using garlic with acute gastrointestinal inflammation or acute irritation. Others caution against using garlic prior to surgery to avoid increased bleeding time. If you have a blood-clotting disorder consult a physician before using concentrated garlic products. Safe to use during pregnancy and lactation but may cause colic in some infants. The World Health Organization (1999) notes that garlic is contraindicated in those individuals who have a known allergy to garlic.

[www.florahealth.com]

One more link:

Garlic Allium sativum

Contains glucose. Use with caution in patients taking anti-platelet drugs. GarlicÂ’s antiplatelet effect might be dangerous in patients taking warfarin or antiplatelet agents such as aspirin, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, or dipyrida-mole. (TCPHP, 118; HM, 115; WHO, 25)

Contraindication with gastrointestinal disturbance; in rare instances, there may be changes to the flora of the intestine, or allergic reactions. (TGHM, 134; HM, 145; BSH, 6; BHC,106) May also cause heartburn, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if taken on an empty stomach. (WHO, 26) HM suggests that substantial amounts of garlic should not be consumed prior to surgery. (HM, 145) May increase the risk of postoperative bleeding. (WHO, 25; ESCOPM, 2; AEHD, 229) Allergic and dermatologic concern based upon case reports. (AEHD, 229; WHO, 26; TCPHP, 116-117, 301) Hematologic concern based upon in vitro data and case reports. (TCPHP, 301)
[www.rainforesttreasure.com]
robert scott
January 13, 2008 04:46AM
Thanks Jackie for the very useful information. By the way, I have been puzzled about tests that measure blood coagulation in other than INR terms. Would aspirin, garlic, fish oil and etc. show up in one of these tests? Thanks very much.

January 13, 2008 07:58AM
Robert - The whole coagulation/anti-thrombotic story is excellently explained in Hans' Thrombosis & Stroke Prevention book...(see below link)

The foods you mention may have an influence on how much warfarin you need to achieve the proper INR but they will not thin your blood to the point that your natural INR without warfarin equals that to being on warfarin.

It's mostly about what helps keep platelets from aggregating or clumping and a lot has to do with inflammation as well.

Aspirin is actually anti-platelet in that it kills platelets - takes some out of the picture for about 9 days. The body builds more and aspirin works on a separate clotting mechanism.

As for fish oil, it does tend to keep platelets 'slippery' in helps prevent the tendency to clump or stick together and is anti-inflammatory.

Each food has some property that contributes to either anti-inflammatory action or anti-platelet aggregation.

I can't do the topic justice here without re-writing the book that Hans has done so well. If you haven't read Hans book - I suggest you order it. It's well done; I've given it to my doctor who also said it was well-done.

The only thing not in his book that we worked on afterward publication was the addition of using Nattokinase to limit the tendency for blood to clump by reducing the fibrin content. Conference Room Sessions 39 and 40 cover Nattokinase.

Jackie
robert scott
January 17, 2008 08:47PM
Thanks again Jackie for your help. I agree that Hans' Thrombosis & Stroke Prevention book is excellent. I had the following lab tests results:

0.9 INR
9.8 Prothrombin Time (ref range: 8.7- 11.5)
30 APTT (ref range: 22 - 36)

I was disappointed in my PT and APTT. I thought that my results would have been nearer or over the ref. range highs because of my supplementation with natural blood thinners?

My protocol:
B vitamins (from nutritional yeast):
Folic acid - 240 mcg
B6 - 10mg
B12 - 8mcg
Vitamin C - 2000mg
Vitamin E - 450IU
Niacin - 1000mg
Fish oil - epa 700mg, dha 640mg
Garlic - 3 cloves
Aspirin - 162mg

I would welcome any comments or suggestions? Thanks very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login