Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation May be Delayed-Thyroid Issues..darn

Posted by benj 
benj
Ablation May be Delayed-Thyroid Issues..darn
March 06, 2007 01:08AM
I saw an endocrinologist yesterday and he has ordered tests, from blood labs to thyroid scans with a preliminary diagnosis of thyroiditis or worse, Grave's Disease. Here I was all psyched for the ablation and now this. Has anyone else been faced with problems like this and still undergone an ablation?

My gut tells me no ablation until thyroid issue is addressed, which if Grave's Disease, may postpone the ablation for some time. Appreciate any feedback...thanks...

PeggyM
Re: Ablation May be Delayed-Thyroid Issues..darn
March 06, 2007 01:36AM
Benj, are you able to contact Dr. Pinski and ask him what he thinks about this issue? Seems like a very knowledgeable guy from what i have seen written by people who have been to see him [yourself included] and it may be that he has experience with ablation patients with thyroid issues.
PeggyM
Marian from Miami
March 06, 2007 02:25AM
Benj,

I surely agree with Peggy. Please E-mail Dr. Pinski before you cancel, at least as a courtesy.

Thanks.

Marian
Hans Larsen
March 06, 2007 03:57AM
benj,

Graves disease (hyperthyroidism, thyrotoxicosis) is a well established cause of atrial fibrillation. It may be that once that is under control you will no longer have afib. So, I would postpone the ablation until you get this sorted out. And of course you should contact Dr. Pinski and let him know. I am sure he would agree with a delay in doing a PVI if it proves to be still necessary.

Hans
March 06, 2007 05:33AM
Benj - how could you have been going all this while and not know about the Graves disease? I'm certainl glad you know now since you may avoid an unnecessary ablation. Good luck with your treatment plan.

Jackie
Hello Benj,
how fortunate for you that your possible thyroid dysfunction is being diagnosed now and not after an ablation!! Surely it's beneficial to discover the possible cause of one's arrhythmia before one takes the path of ablation?
Be thankful you have access to an endocrinologist!
very best wishes for your diagnosis and treatment,
Emmie
I contacted Dr. Pinski...and his take on it? "I bet all the tests come back negative." I hope he is correct.

The fact is the endo. feels this has nothing to do with the afib. I have had PAF for over 10 years. As for the thyroid issues...first discovered with blood work by my cardio. based on NO symptoms but to make sure ordered the tests. I had a slightly raised or high normal TSH which would indicate hypothyroidism. This went on for a few years. Now, the TSH is very low, indicating hyperthyroidism, still with no major symptoms. It could be a self limiting thyroiditis or as the endo. thinks, Grave's Disease. Up and down thyroid tests can be indicative of either hypo or hyper which is characteristic of thyroiditis.

Bottom line, the blood work will be back by late in the week and that should tell the story. Also, thyroid scan next week. Funny, this is a 2nd opinion endo. The first said thyroiditis with no treatment and this latest guy says maybe but thinks Graves.

Pinksi is on hold based on my assessment...wait for the lab results and go from there. I still think the ablation will happen...the question is when.

Yep, medicine is indeed a "practice."

.....and we are indeed guinea pigs!
And just like our furry, four-footed friends, we don't get paid for experiments done on us and some of us will pay with our lives for the knowledge gained.
At least it is to be hoped that someone else will reap the benefit of that knowledge with a new lease of life, 'cos those who are 'practising' on us reap a financial reward regardless whether we live or die.
"Wish I was a butterfly.........I'd fly into the bright blue sky.......enjoy the breeze and drink the sun.......a short life, but a happy one!" (Evie Duurn,age 12)
best wishes,
Emmie
(just trying to be lighthearted - no offence intended!)

Hi benj,

Sorry to hear about the thyroid issues. It was discovered I had thyroid nodules while in the hospital after my ablation. I han all the battery of tests, scan and needle biopsy. One word, if taking anything like amiodarone, the scan will not work. I did and even told the radiology techs that it interferes with the iodine uptake and they didn't have a clue. Final results was the test was inconclusive because the results didn't show any iodine. Had to have the biopsy anyway and all was negative. Good luck.
Hans,

Does the principle implied by your suggestion apply to other conditions known to contribue to AF, such as: hypertension, sick sinus syndrome, and various other heart problems.

... that is, should these be treated before the AF in the hopes that the AF would disappear -- or that these conditions might contribute to a recurrence?

Are there other conditions to which this principle applies?

Thanks! -- Dick
Dick,

Yes, I think that if you know you have a condition that may cause afib, then it would make sense to have that treated first (assuming treatment is available). Whether or not successful treatment would eliminate or drastically reduce afib episodes would, I should think, depend on how well established your afib is. Apart from heart disease other conditions that may underlie afib are: binge drinking, thyroid disorders, hypoglycemia, pheochromocytoma, autonomic nervous system imbalances and electrolyte imbalances. I am not sure that getting hypertension under control would have a major effect on afib severity, but I could be wrong on that.

Hans
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login