Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blood type and afib

Posted by Carol 
Carol
Blood type and afib
December 27, 2003 03:03AM
Sorry about the double post.

I have another question to pose to all the bright and eager afibbers out there.

Is there any connection between blood type and afib?

I found out that I have Blood type A, which according to Live Right For Your Blood Type, is not a very strong or healthy type of blood to have.

How much stock do you people have in D'Amato's (although he calls himself a "Dr.," he is not an M.D.) theory of blood typing, personality profiles, disease predispositions and nutritional guidelines? I can't find any sound scientific basis for his theory from his conjectures on the earliest man on up to the present day. It seems a little like astrology. On the other hand, I see that Hans indicated that he followed it to some extent.

Hans, and others, what do you think?

Carol
Fran
Re: Blood type and afib
December 27, 2003 04:09AM
I think there is something in the blood type issues. I mean it was because of lectins that the different blood types were first discovered (scientific history). The foods allowed are the ones that react well withour own blood group. If our bloods were pure then the eat right for your type would be brilliant. But our bloods and livers have been contaminated with antibiotics, pollution etc etc. And therefore some of the foods that are generally good for our blood type are not.

So whilst I am a type O and do very well on a high protein diet there are some foods that are supposed to be good for me that my body just can't take eg adzuki beans. I am also supposed to avoid things like coconut and oranges, but do very well on them and some type of meat I thrive on.

I think metabolic typing is the way to go and suggest that you being a type A might need a little bit more veggie carbs than me and a bit less meat and probably more white meat.

Not very helpful I know,

Fran
Jerry
December 27, 2003 07:38AM
I'm Type O and I have AF without any underlying cardiac disorder.

And I, for one, place no stock in D'Amato's Blood Type/Eating theories.
Michael in San Francisco
December 27, 2003 07:48AM
I also have type O blood, rh factor positive. I also believe that typing one's biochemical characteristics by means of blood type is very unlikely to be either scientific or useful in any other way.

We all have biochemical individuality characteristics which may be critical to know about. Unfortunately, the only way to deal with this individuality is to go through the trial and error process of finding out what lifestyle works best for our mental and physical health.

I don't think there is any shortcut.
Carol
December 27, 2003 09:53AM
Michael,

I am wondering what your response is to Fran's post on magnesium glycinate under the post titled "High CRP."

Carol
Michael in San Francisco
December 28, 2003 05:05AM
Carol--

I am skeptical about the glycinate/taurate connection. As with other explanations here, they are attempts to describe very complex processes, which no doubt vary from individual to individual.

I prefer simply to experiment with what works for me and then present it here for others to try. No grand explanations, accurate or not, really are necessary.

I recall that you started with magnesium supplementation and found some real benefit from it. This has also been my experience--for a year now I have been afib-free (except for a minute or two of skipped beats on a handful of occasions as after a late meal while lying in bed on my left side).

I much prefer the absolute simplest methods (and explanations, if necessary). I am still convinced that it is mineral nutrition imbalance that underlies my propensity to afib. No complex explanation is necessary because the American diet is low in Mg and K and these minerals are also depleted by our caffein and alcohol habits. Holiday heart, which is indistinguishable from afib, is a frequent problem in emergency rooms this time of year because of mineral imbalances precipitated by more-than-usual quantites of alcohol. The nutrient that I have overlooked from time to time is potassium, which along with magnesium is both critical to normal rhythm and low in the American diet (RDA something like 3.5 grams; average intake 2 grams). I am wondering if you are supplementing with potassium.

On the topic of candida, after reading the posts here and realizing that I have had a mild problem with candida, I bought some capsules at my health food store after a positive saliva test. I took the capsules for a couple of weeks and noticed that my candida symptoms were gone (the active ingredient in the capsules was tea tree oil, a natural antibiotic which I have also used for athlete's foot; the side effect of these capsules was limited to tea tree oil-scented burps on occasion). At any rate, my saliva test then proved negative.
Jerry
December 28, 2003 06:57AM
Well done, Michael.
December 28, 2003 08:02AM
Carol - I'm type O with Rh factor negative. I agree with Fran that when following the guidlines for blood type, some foods work and some don't.

When Dr. D'Adamo's book first came out in the early '90's, Dr. Mercola was very positive about it....and then over time, Dr. Mercola switched his focus slightly and greatly refined a method of determine what eating plan is best for each individual - in his Metabolic Typing Diet.

BTW, Dr. D'Adamo is a Naturopathic Physician. He's probably more in tune with biochemistry than most of the MD's so don't sell him short because he doesn't have the MD behind his name. From a functional medicine standpoint, ND's have the edge over MD's unless they continued on in that specialty.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he does command respect in some circles....below are a few excerpts from his bios - so he is not without credentials.

"Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo is a noted naturopathic physician, researcher, and lecturer. His extensive research and clinical testing of the blood type connection to health and disease has led to ground-breaking work with several illnesses, including the treatment of breast cancer and AIDS.

He has written many articles for medical journals and serves on the scientific advisory board of several major insurance companies.

Dr. D'Adamo, who was selected Physician of the Year in 1990 by the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, and Clinician of the Month in February 1991 by Preventive Medicine Update, is the founder and editor emeritus of The Journal of Naturopathic Medicine. He has a family practice in Connecticut.

A second-generation naturopathic physician, he is also a noted researcher and lecturer. He currently serves on the board of trustees for Bastyr University, the nation's leading naturopathic institution.

The founder and editor emeritus of The Journal of Naturopathic Medicine, he has a thriving practice in Stamford, Connecticut."

Jackie
kestra
December 28, 2003 02:18PM
Blood type O negative here and afib with no underlying heart disease. I do better eating some meat, I found. I tried for years to be a vegetarian and just kept feeling worse and worse.
Richard
December 29, 2003 02:09AM
I'm blood type O+, with no underlying reason for AF/flutter. I do very well on a higher protein diet, with lots of fresh salads, vegetables, fruits, and nuts, and felt the immense difference after the second day of inception of this change. If I do occasionally cheat with bread or potatoes, I do not feel so good. Is it because of the insulin factor, the irritability of my digestion, or my blood type? I'd have to venture to guess, it's the first two, but I'm not ruling out the third, because I just don't know for sure. What I do believe, is that if everyone tried their metabolic diet, and felt better because of it, then maybe they would have their answer.

In regards to Michael's post on mineral imbalances, I agree to a certain point, but as it pertains to me, it isn't that simple. I only wish it were. My mineral levels were all somewhat normal in and outside of the cell, with the exception of molybdenum. It was my vitamin levels of B6, B12, folate and the sulfur amino Methionine that were more of a problem. I am much better off, now knowing what to aim for, through testings, than just taking supplements in the dark. Had I not found out what was going on within my body, I would have never known to up my levels of these important nutrients, especially methylated B12. I would not have known why niacinamide gives me headaches, of which I now understand, it has to be methylated before being used in the body, and I didn't have enough methionine to donate its methyl groups. One must also note, that it is not only minerals that are depleted when consuming alcohol, but also vitamins, esp. B12 that is stored in the liver. B12 is important for the pathway of methylation, that makes the neurotransmitters.

BTW, Michael, thank you for the heads up on Tea Tree oil.

Richard
Carol
December 29, 2003 02:49AM
Jackie,
I think that the by- line, "Dr. D'Amato," leads the unsuspecting to assume that he is an M. D. In my opinion, it would have been more accurate and honest ( less misleading) for him to by- line his book with " Peter D'Amato, Doctor of Naturapathic Science."

There is no indication that he has even a standard Ph. D, which would be absolutely essential for the chemistry and other sciences, that is purportedly involved in his work. Perhaps something equivalent is offered in training to be a naturapathic "physician." I hope so and I hope that the education is as rigorous as in conventional, academic (university) science.

I have a real problem with accepting the blood typing theory, because I can't tolerate soy and beans, that my Blood Type A is supposed to eat in quantity. They make me sick.

Furthermore, I see incredible inconsistencies, such as "derive your primary protein from soy products and fresh seafood. When I turn to the seafood lists almost all of them are labeled "avoid!"

There are plenty of condemning reviews of D'Amato's books out there and very few are by M. D.'s

Carol
December 29, 2003 05:43AM
Carol - well, as I said...I wasn't saying D'Adamo was or wasn't correct....

When I see the title Dr. and not John Smith, ND or MD or DO or DC, I immediately think of PhD. and I fail to see why the advertising of Dr. D'Adamo didn't clarify his title better. I didn't read the reviews because as far as I am concerned, his book is 10 years old and we've moved on and away from that theory....and I'm still saying I don't know if he is correct or not.

The ND's I've followed and several of whom I've met and with whom I've had discussions are extremely knowledgeable and educated people. and as I said previously, know far more biochemistry as it applies to functional medicine and what makes us sick as well as what can make us well.

I recently sat in on an all day seminar facilitated by Kristy Hawkes, ND and I was simply blown away with her knowledge and ability to present. There were MD's there who were sputtering in their attempt to understand the pathway of detoxification.

That said, wrt typing and diet..... many of the books that are similar to his book and Mercola's book - go further and state that many people are really borderline - that is depending on the genetics of the blood type and this would explain why some A's can't tolerate certain foods.

I'm an O and I can't tolerate soy.... which is good because I don't want to eat soy products regardless of my blood type.

Regarding any eating plan - and believe me, I've tried the majority of them until I was guided to Metabolic Typing .... I think that a meal that consists of mostly vegetables with a small portion of protein and one that eliminates starchy carbs is the one that allows most individuals regardless of blood type to achieve a healthy glucose metabolism. That is the whole key to health...glucose metabolism.

Jackie
December 29, 2003 05:56AM
Richard - in your post - you wrote:

Is it because of the insulin factor, the irritability of my digestion, or my blood type?

Based on my knowledge, my teachings through my FM, MD, I'd have to vote for the insulin factor. Too much insulin as an over-reaction to impaired insulin receptors in the lipid layer of the cell and means the starchy carb (sugars) can't get into the cell to be utilized so the body calls again for more insulin.... the more insulin produced, the worse one feels.

Until the lipid layer is saturated with good fats - Omega 3's and the insulin receptors are repaired or normalized, the over-production of insulin will continue and the reaction you get when you cheat continues.

My experience (lots of it) with various diets and plans has led to the realization that I do much better overall with protein at every meal, vegetables and salads in abundance, and limited fruit in a day, and always a fruit from the low end of the glycemic index. No bread, no potatoes, no junk, no packaged or prepared foods. All whole foods - organic when available - all cooked from scratch. Limited dairy.

And I, like you, everytime I give in and cheat... eat some carbs ... I feel out of focus - that's the insulin. But...once in a while, it's worth it! smiling smiley

Jackie
Richard
December 29, 2003 07:03AM
Jackie,

You're right about that when its a prime rib french dip or a small portion of scalloped potatoes, but I actually do worse if I consume bread. It's like comfort food, but it's not so comforting after the fact. You're probably right about the insulin factor, and thank you for the explanation. I'm not too educated on how insulin works. There's just so much to know.

Richard
Jerry
Re: Blood type and Methyl Stuff
December 29, 2003 10:19AM
Richard:

I note that you mention several of the key vitamins related to methylation, but you haven't said anything about TMG (betaine HCL). Along with B12, TMG is the KEY methylating agent, especially for those who have elevated homocysteine. Although your HCY is normal, there are methyl benefits to the use of TMG, and you might want to research it. Jerry
Richard
December 29, 2003 12:33PM
Jerry,

Thank you for that reminder, and you're right, I need to research it. I've read a bit about it, but need to do more reading. I do need to order or buy some, because I think I need all the methylation help I can get. I guess I didn't mention it, because, unfortunately, my test didn't analyze choline, and I keep forgetting about it. I don't know if GSDL was not analyzing at the time, or for some reason they couldn't analyze, because it was listed on the vitamin analysis paperwork. It just stated that they were not presently doing this test.

Hope all is well with you and you are having a nice holiday season.

Richard
Jerry
December 29, 2003 04:25PM
Same to you, mate.

TMG is available from Source Naturals in a 750 mg tablet, and the substance donates 3 methyl groups. I take it every day, along with B Complex and other things, for homocysteine control.

Happy Holidays. Jerry
Peggy
December 29, 2003 07:49PM
Jerry, would you be so kind as to detail what you take for homocysteine control? It is a topic in which i have a keen interest.
Peggy
Jerry
December 30, 2003 12:00AM
Very happy to do so.

I take 750-1500 mg of TMG from Source Naturals, along with a B Complex tablet (in the 50 mg range), an additional 500 mcg of B-12, and 400 mcg of Folic Acid.

Those things are part and parcel of my daily supplement regimen, which includes many more things, as you would imagine.

The details of homocysteine and the means to improve one's levels can be studied in detail on the www.lef.org site, which has many facts and recent articles about it. Search for homocysteine, or see the cardiovascular protocol.

The latest theory is that an elevated homocysteine level suggests impaired methylation, which is a life-shortener. DNA damage will result, as Richard has previously described in his posts. There is "no safe level" for homocysteine, so sayeth LEF, but the preferred number is 7 mmol or lower. Last time I had my bloodwork done (May 2003), my number was 11. That was the first time I ever had it tested, and it freaked me out, although my number is STILL WITHIN the current lab range guidelines used by most physicians. No matter, I still want to lower it, so I've undertaken this protocol, as LEF has suggested. If you visit their site, you'll find that there are several other substances that can/should be used, but I'm not on them yet. If this regimen works, I'll stick with it. If my number is still too high, I'll increase my TMG intake (probably to about 2.5 to 3 grams per day) to provide more methyl groups for my body to use. I like to do things in increments to see what's effective. Don't believe in overkill all at once.

Best of luck...Jerry
December 30, 2003 03:06AM
Richard - When you get into reading Methyl Magic, you will learn the role of TMG...it is, as Jerry says, the key player in methylation.

Jackie
Peggy
December 30, 2003 04:09AM
Thanks Jerry, i really appreciate the data and the website.
Peggy
Jerry
December 30, 2003 08:21AM
No worries. Best of luck...Jerry
Richard
December 30, 2003 03:58PM
Jackie,

I'm waiting patiently for my copy.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login