Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

high CRP test results

Posted by Carol 
Carol
high CRP test results
December 27, 2003 02:54AM
Hello, everyone

As some of you may remember, I have suffered from vagal afib for 11 years.
Magnesium glycinate seemed to be holding the episodes down for a while, but now I seem to be getting them more often - every four or five days and always at night, so that I am sleep deprived a good deal of the time.

I just had an annual physical. According to my doctor my blood work was astoundingly good - cholesterol, sugar, thryroid, minerals, etc. all perfect. When I asked him about the CRP, he said in an unconcerned manner "Oh, that is a bit high at 5.1" When I told him that high CRP might be implicated with afib, he said that he was unaware of a connection and said not to be concerned, because high CRP can be the result of any number of inflammatory processes. When I asked about homocisteine (sp?) he said that they don't test for that.

I am truly alarmed by the high CRP reading. Where do I go from here? I have a candida albicans infrection of long standing that I am treating by diet and the "Candigone" fifteen day regimen. I have suffered from herpes/ facial neuralgia for years and am about to begin L- lyceine supplementation and dietary restrictions of nuts, chocolate, caffeine for that.

I sent copies of the pages on inflammation and afib from Hans' book to both my internist and cardiologist and asked them to please discuss what is to be done, if anything, about the elevated CRP.

I feel inundated with these problems - thrashing around in the dark - and feel very vulnerable. Just had a terrible breakthrough of afib that lasted all last night. Then when I got up this morning had that pain in the LEFT side of the back of my neck and also neuralgia radiating from my LEFT forehead up through my scalp. I also noticed soreness/pain along my breastbone on the LEFT side when I inhale deeply.

I wonder if all these symptoms are somehow related.

Any suggestions out there?

Carol
Jerry
Re: high CRP test results
December 27, 2003 03:26AM
I would visit www.drsinatra.com and do a search for CRP. Once inside the site, you'll see that Dr. Sinatra has a regimen of a) testing and b) dietary interventions that will help. You will have to find a physician who has the interest and expertise required to test for Lp(a), CRP, homocysteine, serum ferritin, and a variety of other incisive tests that will tell you more about the way your body is functioning. Get after it. Don't let the doctors control your health.
Carol
December 27, 2003 07:02AM
Thanks, Jerry
I think that I might just go back to see him in Connecticut. I saw him once and he armed me with a lot of supplements.

Carol
Carol
December 27, 2003 07:18AM
I forgot to mention that I saw Dr. Sinatra a long time ago, before I knew that I had high CRP.

Carol
Fran
December 27, 2003 07:48AM
Carol

I don't know if this has any bearing on your situation but I just came across this thread from the magnesium research lab. I don't know how accurate this info is but.... It might be of interest to Richard too thinking about his recent taurine posts. However Dr M recommends Mg gluconate for PVC's...

You may like to follow it up

Fran

[magnesiumresearchlab.salu.net]

The following letter was sent to my benzodiazepine group. I have recommended that they take Mg Glycinate, why would it be harmful? Please read the following.
What Mg does the majority in this group take anyways?
Thanks,
Denise
Re: magnesium glycinate

I quit taking and quit recommending magnesium glycinate because glycine in the doses taken, while taken for a
protracted period of time will damage its delicate balance with taurine. Taurine is vital to mental and cardiac health
and must not be disturbed, while glycine is ubiquitous and appears highly unlikely to be bothered by too much
taurine. Long term high doses of glycinate will eventually cause ever worsening cardiac arrhythmias and never allow
total recovery from depression or other mood disorders, although most people will find that it has worked miracles for
them.. Also, both magnesium and taurine have been proven to be low in depression in about 80% and 100% of
cases respectively, while glycine has not. Read Shealy's article on my page [coldcure.com] and
linked starting here [coldcure.com] (see sentence immediately before the Discussion
section). Read my article again and search for the words taurate and taurine. You will see what I mean.

This does not mean magnesium glycinate is harmful in the short or near term, it just means one shouldn't use it year
in and year out.
George

Denise,
They should not use magnesium glycinate, rather they should use magnesium taurate for reasons I have previously explained. G\Too much glycine will antagonize taurine, which could easily worsen heart problems. Adding 100 mg CoQ10 to each 250 mg dose of magnesium (as magnesium taurate) seems to terminate leaky gut syndrome and allows much more magnesium to be absorbed.
Hope that helps.
George

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm looking into them. George Eby contacted me last night and he suggested Magnesium Taurate.
He's convinced that's the best for people with panic attacks, heart patients and Diabetics. From what he was telling me Mg Glycinate made his
cardiac problems worse and he was recommending Glycinate on his site,
now he is recommending Mg Taurate. Can you become toxic on Taurate though?
Jeff tried the Mag Tab SR and had panic attacks after taking it. Well at least
I'm narrowing it down. Thanks for your advice.
All the Best,
Denise

Dear DrM~
Thank you for your response. I have been in contact with Geoge Eby all last night and he believes that Magnesium Taurate is the best to take.
He once promoted Mg Glycinate as the gentlest to take and he took it
himself and it made his Cardiac problems worse. Here's his letter below.
Most of the people on the Benzo withdrawal site have problems with
panic attacks and Heart Arrthmyias so maybe Mg Taurate is the answer.
Can Mg Taurate be taken indefinitely and could toxicity be a problem?
Is any excess Taurate flushed out like Mg? Here's George's letter:
I am extremely and totally convinced that people with cardiac trouble should
not take magnesium glycinate. Rather they should take magnesium taurate. Both taurine and magnesium are required for cardiac rhythm,
while glycinate depletes taurine!!!!!! This depletion is a really big no-no
and will worsen PVCs and PACs.
George
[coldcure.com]
[store.yahoo.com]
[www.thewayup.com]
[www.thewayup.com]

Subject: Re: Re: Heart Arrhythmia's

Dear Denise,

It is not that I do not think Mg Taurinate is not adequate to supply your Mg needs, but is it the best, No, I suspect it might even be better than all the others. But after this past hour, I am positive that there is no acceptable scientific data in the National Medical Library,
Medlines database on Mg Taurinate. From 1966 to 2004 there are only 68 peer reviewed articles, none before 2000. This means that the 50+ scientific researchers working on Mg do not think much of this salt. The four links below, you sent us are all "ads" for a Mg salt with NO bases to
use other than it seems to make sense to some (who have not shared their data with the world), which I admit, and some speculation that it might work in humans, based on animal studies alone. We humans are different from rats, etc I think.

Moreover there is no question that taurine is only a non-essential amino acid that should be in diet and can also be made in the body if there is enough cysteine and Vit B6. B6 requires Mg for it to become active in this process to form a byeproduct of the B6 which is required to make taurine. Moreover, taurine is low during MgD, which it is. Tauine is present in animal and fish protein, so that there is no need to even supplement it, if one is in positive Mg balance, more Mg going into body than there is going out.

There is a Best Mg salt for PVCs. This is Mg gluconate (Magonate) which is absorbed in the stomach in a half hour and then enters the tissues, Only IV or IM MgSO4 and/or MgCl can do that. While there is absolutely no data that MgTaurinate is even absorbed, I would never us it for Mg induced PVCs, cant afford to wait that long. I place two docs in the attachment, and if you can not open I will copy and paste it to email text.

DrM
Peggy
December 27, 2003 08:22AM
Carol, Fran, et al - I wonder how this applies to me? Since that little cluster of mild episodes about a month ago i have had no more trouble. I am taking 400mg Carlson's Mg glycinate and 3g taurine twice a day just as i was then. Is the taurine balancing out the glycine, on the whole, and could those episodes have been due to some stressor unknown to me, which has passed off now? Am i likely to start having trouble like Carol is? Anybody got any ideas about this? Switch to Mg taurate now, or wait and see what happens?
Peggy
John S.
December 27, 2003 08:56AM
Carol,

Have you tried Hans' antiinflammatory protocol? Have you tried Moducare?
Hello, all

Fran,
Very provocative information on the relative merits of magnesium gylcinate and taurate. Thank you. I must go back and see what Dr.Seelig, the magnesium expert says.

Are the capsules used for supplements made of gelatin? I read that gelatin is high in arginine, which promotes herpes. Lysine counters arginine.

Jerry,
My head is spinning trying to stick to the various dietary and supplement protocols for 1) reducing inflammation - herpes, which I think may be a big factor in my inflammatory condition, (2) candida albicans, which may also contribute to inflammation (?) while (3) avoiding those foods high in tyramine, which are possibly inflammatory and give me migraines. I go to the refrigerator and find it almost impossible to find anything I can eat! Talk about stress. I used to eat lots of almonds for magnesium, but now find that nuts are high in arginine, which triggers off herpes. Sigh.

I am truly frightened from having learned of my high CRP, but maybe, just maybe I am tracking down the culprits that have been causing the inflammation that in turn, may, just may, be causing the afib.

Carol
Re: Fran, Jerry, and everyone: high CRP test results
December 27, 2003 11:06AM
Carol - I've read this exchange and the comment about magnesium glycinate depleting taurine. I'll ask my functional MD about it soon. It is not coincidental, though, that I began taking magnesium taurate along with the glycinate. I'll probably use that exclusively but right now I'm doing half and half. I gathered the same information posted here from George Eby's coldcure.com site. Previously, I had been taking large doses of taurine separately - and always have since it is so important to the heart's electrical system. Nice to find a compound that contains both.

I have some information on herpes that may help you - I just have to locate it. Lysine is traditional, of course. I'll look for it.

When one has a large Candida overgrowth, it is important to remember that until the Candida is cleared and the intestinal mucosa is healthy, it cannot function to deliver nutrients. So a person could be consuming lots of supplements but they aren't getting absorbed due to the candida.

You should concentrate on destroying the Candida and reinnoculating with plenty of Probiotics.... You may see the CRP levels lower as a consequence....
Incidentally, I get my magnesium taurate online at Vitamin Shoppe.com - good price and fast service.

Hang in there.... Jackie

My advice for now would be not to obsess about the CRP - of course it's important but take one thing at a time. You know you can kill the Candida so concentrate on that and then move on to the next challenge.
December 27, 2003 11:17AM
Carol - another comment - what is your dental status? Tell me about the restorations you have in your mouth.

Additionally, my functional medicine MD recommended the product I've mentioned here before - Phytoprofen by Thorne Labs available through Willner chemists.... all natural anti-inflammatory plant products. You may want to consider those along with everything Hans suggests in his book.

I like the Phytoprofen because it is about 4 or 5 good things all in one capsule which I take 2 - 3 times a day.

Jackie
Here is a quote from the post above:

"Dear Denise,

It is not that I do not think Mg Taurinate is not adequate to supply your Mg needs, but is it the best? No, I suspect it might even be better than all the others. But after this past hour, I am positive that there is no acceptable scientific data in the National Medical Library, Medlines database on Mg Taurinate. From 1966 to 2004, there are only 68 peer reviewed articles, none before 2000. This means that the 50+ scientific researchers working on Mg do not think much of this salt [meaning taurinate--Jerry]. The four links below that you sent us are all "ads" for a Mg salt with NO bases to use other than it seems to make sense to some (who have not shared their data with the world), which I admit, and some speculation that it might work in humans, is based on animal studies alone. We humans are different from rats, etc I think.

Moreover, there is no question that taurine is only a non-essential amino acid that should be in the diet and can also be made in the body if there is enough cysteine and Vit B6. B6 requires Mg for it to become active in this process to form a byproduct of the B6 which is required to make taurine. Moreover, taurine is low during MgD, which it is. Taurine is present in animal and fish protein [which means we can get it from our diet--Jerry], so that there is no need to even supplement it if one is in positive Mg balance: more Mg going into the body than there is going out.

There is a Best Mg salt for PVC's. This is Mg gluconate (Magonate), which is absorbed in the stomach in a half hour and then enters the tissues. Only IV or IM MgSO4 and/or MgCl can do that. While there is absolutely no data that MgTaurinate is even absorbed, I would never use it for Mg induced PVCs, can't afford to wait that long."

There is the quote from a doctor who says that magnesium taurate is not something to be used for PVC's, and that the magnesium researchers "do not think much of this (magnesium) salt," and that there is "no basis to use it other than that it seems to make sense to some (people)," and that there is "no acceptable scientific data" available about magnesium taurate. That is quite an indictment of a supplement, if you ask me.

Yet, what do we see? Posters writing that they can't wait to get their hands on some magnesium taurate. Did they read the same post that I did? What gives, here? Who is this George Eby, and what are his scientific credentials? Why is he advocating something that can be bought on the basis of his recommendations, when a doctor writes that the taurinate might not be as bioavailable as other forms of magnesium? Why are people advocating the use of something that is not solidly proven in the medical research literature?

It sounds to me that glycinate is still the form to use, with a possible additional supplementation with taurine, as needed. But the words "as needed" are key. If we don't know our individual elemental/amino status, we have absolutely NO basis on which to judge the need for supplements such as taurine. Empricial effects, such as PVC's alone, are not sufficient, in and of themselves, to make the claim that one needs taurine--especially since taurine is a non-essential (meaning we don't NEED to ingest it) that can be produced by the body in the presence of sufficient Vitamin B6!

I'm having a hard time accepting the logic tha states a need for supplemental taurine, given what I've read in the post above. Sounds once again like there is a need to race for anything and everything that someone mentions here. I'd prefer to analyze a bit further.
It seems to me that the reason people rush to take anything recommended here is that we are desperate for relief from afib, and recommendations found here seem more likely to have some effect than do the doctors' recommendations, given regular medicine's track record in regard to afib knowledge.

All the doctors i have run across seem uninformed concerning afib. Many of them also seem unconcerned, regarding afib as a minor irritant at best, unless i am actually in afib at the time they see me, when they suddenly want me to be hospitalized immediately. Some of them want me to take digoxin, which made me ill when i did take it, and which i have since found out is contra-indicated for vagal afibbers like myself. Fellow afib sufferers met here have been the most help so far.

Carol, i am alarmed at your saying that your afib has recently worsened while continuing to take Mg glycinate. So far mine has not, at least not since those 3 mild, brief episodes about a month ago. I am still taking 400 mg Carlson's Mg glycinate night and morning, with 3g taurine accompanying each dose. I think mine is a more mild form of afib than yours to start with, and i wonder if the taurine could be what makes the difference between your recent experience and mine?

Can anyone comment on this? Jerry? Jackie?

Peggy
Jackie,
Good suggestions.

Can you tell me if you think eating yogurt for the live acidophilus, which is recommended for combating candida, is all right considering the fact that 1) it is calcium, which is excitory for afibbers and 2) dairy, which I thought was not allowed on the candida restricted diet. Seems there is conflicting information here.

Also, how did you know when you were free of candida? The saliva test?

Thanks.
Carol
Carol

I don't know about gelatine having arginine - but I know about it in Brazil nuts and walnuts - I get an outbreak every time I eat them - except its not herpes its impetigo in my nose. Gelatine is however 11% MSG.....

I have never been able to take supplements without them inducing AF, palps or high anxiety states. That is why I only take wholsome food to get my nutrition. I have hit upon pumpkin seeds and eat about an oz a day with other forms of Mg foods which puts me way over the RDA for Mg (along with all the vits like B6 and calcium to help it work. When getting Mg from food it is already bioavailable, the plant or animal has converted it so it can be used. I average about 1000mg a day. It might just be that you are the same as me and cannot tolerate supplements. Remember if just one mineral or vitamin is out it will throw every other one off balance to some degree.

Don't be frightened of your high CRP level. You may have had a slight cold, a slight infection or anything happening. Maybe even a cut. Just work on bringing it down by being and eating healthy. Then get your levels done again

Fran

PS. Just wondering why no-one has hit on the gluconate form of Mg seens as it is recommended for PVC's?
December 28, 2003 04:19AM
Carol - the yogurt/calcium thing is confusing. I used limited amounts of plain unsweetened yogurt. Nothing on a regular basis. Somehow in the back of my memory bank is the notion that calcium from food is not as bad as calcium supplements for the excitatory factor. Don't ask me why I have that notion. I do know that the recommendation to consume yogurt to replenish the normal bowel flora is a common recommendation.

I didn't eat much yogurt then and still choose it only occasionally since milk products are so frowned upon by most of the holistic practitioners. Still, I find a small quantity as a snack before bed is very sustaining and in fact was recommended by the first holistic doctor treating me for hypoglycemia.

So...I guess the choice is yours. Limited quantities most likely won't hurt.

I knew I was rid of the Candida by another Comprehensive Stool Analysis.

Now, if I want to check, I would do the saliva "float." That seems to be a pretty good indicator and a whole lot less expensive. It took between 2 and 3 months to get rid of it.

Fran is lucky to find food grown in soil that contains magnesium. Here in the US, soil is mostly depleted of magnesium and it is not replenished by the farmers..and is irrigated by water processed with sodium that removes magnesium as well......so relying on food sources will not provide the amounts of magnesium needed to shore up a magnesium deficient body - especially if that body is being bombarded by magnesium depleters...such as stress - the big one - all kinds of stress...and all the other depleters we've discussed.

Carol, if you feel it could be the capsules of the supplements - then just dump out the contents and consume.

On both the candida and the herpes virus, I would recommend you try the herbal remedy - oregano (leaf) - in capsules... or you can get it in the liquid extract form. I use the capsules - about 450 mg per capsule once or twice a day...I just take a few a week as prevention of recurrence.

Oregano is a powerful herb known to kill yeast, bacteria and viruses..inexpensive and all natural. Also, the Grapefruit Seed Extract is another good Candida fighter - and this liquid or capsule also functions to kill every imaginable pathogen...virus, bacteria, parasites, etc. Called the Traveler's Friend.

Remember what I said in a previous post.... an intestinal tract loaded with yeast overgrowth cannot absorb nutrients....so until that is gone and the gut is functioning optimally again, most likely, you will not be benefiting 100% from any supplements you take.

Jackie
Thanks, Jackie. That post was another "print out!"

You have a wonderful way of steadying me in my battles with afib, candida, high CRP and herpes. It is like fighting a whole lot of small fires. You are right about tackling one at a time.

In addition to oregano, rosemary leaf is also good for cleansing the system. Unfortunately, my plant developed a fungus that is common to it - what else is new??!! - so it was banished to the cold, New England, out -of - doors. But while it was healthy, it provided the most delicious and therapeutic tea. Wonder if the dried herb is as good.

QUESTION: I was thinking of alternating Magnesium glycinate with Magnesium Taurate, but I could not find Magnesium Taurate at the health food store. What do you think of taking KAL brand "Magnesium hydroxy Acids with Orotates" (400 mg.) alternatively with the glycinate form. It is a combination of magnesium malate, citrate, lysinate, tartrate, lactate, orotate and has no calcium added.

Strangely, I could not find Magnesium taurate listed in Seelig's book.

Again, I am very appreciative of your advice.

Carol
I know everyone says the soils are depleted of Mg so foods are low in Mg. What I don't understand is that every fertiliser that is put on the ground contains loads of Mg as well as the others - including molybdenum. No commercial growers - organic included, do not use fertiliser of some description. Plants just will not grow properly if the conditions are not right - and Mg shortages as well as too much Mg will cause symptoms in the plant and make them unsellable. What I will argue is that the vitamin content of commercial grown foods are much much lower and the health giving porperties can be killed off by pesticides. Its hard to get rid of minerals - even in a big boiling. I keep thinking this is a conspiracy by the supplement market....

It would be different if you were eating just processed food as this is mostly starch and flavour enhancers - and impossible to get minerals from. So I think the Mg deficient modern diet is based on those eating a processed diet....

[www.soils.wisc.edu]

The USDA has been compiling nutritive data of foods since the late 1800’s and published the first data tables in 1896 (Atwater, 1896). The first extensive revision was in 1950 with the publication of Agriculture Handbook no. 8, which was subsequently revised in 1963 (Watt, 1963), 1976, and 1990. The USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (SR13, 1999) is the most current version of the food composition tables.

BALANCE OF MINERAL NUTRITION
To further investigate this link between nutritional decline and soil quality, ten common fruits and vegetables were examined for their calcium, magnesium and potassium content. Ternary diagrams were constructed comparing the relative ratios of mineral charge of Ca2+, Mg2+ and K+ between 1963 and 1999 data (Watt, 1963, SR13, 1999). At first glance, the data in Table 2 suggest that there has been a reduction in the mineral content of the selected produce. However, when the ratio of cation charge of calcium vs. magnesium vs. potassium is plotted (Figure 2), there is virtually no difference in the mineral balance between the old and the new data.

CONCLUSION
The relatively stable relationships among the three macronutrient cations argues that either all three are being depleted proportionally from soils or, alternatively, none of them is depleted in soils and that alternative explanations must be sought for changes in composition when observed. The widespread use of soil testing and fertilizers as part of the strategy for the increasing yields of modern agriculture also argues strongly against the notion of widespread soil depletion of mineral nutrients.

Fran
Just thought I would add this for understanding what each mineral does in the growing process. Forgive me, but incase no one is aware, I am now in the process of growing my own produce (also to supply a small community run co-operative) and trying hard to understand about soils and plants. I can say that from living where I do the soil dictates the vegetation underfoot so at a glance I can see acid soil (deer grass) and lime soil (lucsious green grass, wildflowers and orchids) and badly drained and anerobic soil (reeds etc). Water cress etc will grow in rivers and burns where the Mg content is good etc etc.

[www.watersag.com]

"ELEMENTS CHART:
The following information will help you gain a better understanding of your soil results and the role of primary, secondary and micronutrients.

<top>

N Nitrogen helps form amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins.
Cu Copper is necessary for chlorophyll formation and also acts as a catalyst for other plant reactions.
P Phosphorus is utilized in the formation of nucleic acids and other chemicals which help in the development of healthy root systems, early growth, early maturity and seed production.
Fe Iron also acts as a catalyst for chlorophyll formation and also carries oxygen. It also helps form certain respiratory enzyme systems. These functions make it critical to photosynthesis.
K Potassium is similar to phosphorus in root formation and also appears to promote disease resistance. It increases the size and quality of fruits.
Mn Manganese activates many metabolic reactions in plants and is directly involved in photosynthesis. It accelerates germination and maturity and increases the availability of phosphorus and calcium
S Sulfur is sometimes referred to as the "4th primary nutrient" since it must be present to form protein.
Mo Molybdenum facilitates a plants proper use of nitrogen. It is also used to convert inorganic phosphorus to organic forms.
Ca Calcium is used in root system and leaf development and is combined with other elements to form cell walls. It also helps by activating other enzyme systems.
Zn Zinc is necessary for the production of chlorophyll and carbohydrates and aids in the creation of plant growth substances, enzyme systems, and metabolic reactions.
Mg Magnesium is the central atom of the chlorophyll molecule which makes it absolutely necessary for photosynthesis. It also plays a role in phosphate metabolism, plant respiration and enzyme systems.
B Boron is essential for germination of pollen grains and growth of pollen tubes and for seed and cell wall formation. Other functions aid in protein formation.
Cl Chlorine is used in photosynthesis and helps promote a more disease resistant plant. "

Fran
I take no taurine of any kind, in any form. If I'm getting it, my body is converting it from foods, which is how it is intended to be obtained. I take a regular daily dose of 400 mg of Metagenics Magnesium Glycinate, which I divide over the course of the day. The last 200 mg are taken after dinner, prior to bedtime. I have absolutely sustained NSR for more than 1.5 years, at this point, and the magnesium is the primary supplement that led to that change. The day I took my first dose, the AF I had experienced began to subside. What that means is that the glycinate form of magnesium has helped me sustain NSR for nearly 2 years--all without the supplementation of taurine. So, some of us have no need of taurine in order to sustain NSR, and some of us (myself inlcuded) have had no problem with AF while taking recommended doses of magnesium glycinate over the long term.

With that in mind, I am led to wonder about the INDIVIDUAL nature of our AF problem, and whether or not we simply have to experiment with various things in order to determine what will lessen or eliminate our AF symptoms, as Michael has previously written. The underlying CAUSE of AF may well be the same for all of us, but we might be able to minimize the various effects of the disorder by addressing the imbalances that each of us has, to varying degrees.

No matter how I view it, the only conclusion I can come to is that AF is a complex demonstration of an even more complex biochemical interplay that must be sustained in order to prevent disruptions in rhythm. That chemical interplay is only sustained in most human beings because of the intrinsic elegance of the human body and its subsystems. Through some genetic predisposition, or diet, or an absence of essential nutrients, or a kind of ANS imbalance, or whatever combination of those causes, our heart rhythm is altered in a troubling way. Mind you, there are many other people in this world who have far more dangerous and disruptive cardiac conditions than AF, and I for one am glad to be able to say that AF is my ONLY concern today. In that sense, I can actually be grateful that my state of health is not worse than it is. Nonetheless, AF is a biophysical plague on our daily lives, and anything that restores NSR should be considered valuable.
December 28, 2003 08:20AM
Carol - I've never been able to winter over my oregano plants inside so I rely on the powdered extract which is very concentrated....or so I am led to believe.

I'm wondering about taurate the same way you are wrt Dr. Seelig's book. She doesn't emphasize the glycinate form much either. My input and recommendations came from the Metagenics input by Jeff Bland...and my functional medicine MD. Could be this is a more recent development and a refinement to deliver more magnesium. I've mentioned before the Metagenics Mag Glycinate is patented to deliver max magnesium at max bioability.

I have another post I'm readying on the taurate portion...maybe tomorrow. I began to be curious as to why taurate - as well as others here. However, I was told years back when searching for anything that would help afib...by more than one source... that in managing afib, "you can't do anything without extra L-taurine."

So, last year when nothing was working, I began to add L-taurine - separately. First capsules and then powder. I do think that eventually, it did help.

I have no experience with the brand and combination form of magnesium you mention. Why not try it? You may be pleased with the results and you can be a pioneer for everyone else.

Biochemical individuality. Remember when I introduced that term a while back? It keeps coming up again and again. There is no standard protocol that will work absolutely the same for every person.

One other thing, Carol, what about your sodium intake? Sodium depletes potassium.... low potassium can trigger afib. Some municipal water supplies soften their water with additional sodium. This cancels out any natural magnesium that might be in there and also reduces potassium.
If you have a home water softening system - this also addes sodium and reduces magnesium.

I still think that for you, the bottom line, is get the gut mucosa healthy so the nutrients you do take will get into your system.
Jackie
December 28, 2003 08:29AM
Fran -

I've had some correspondence with the person who hosts the magnesium water site and he supports the claim that the commercial fertilizers here in the US do not contain magnesium. When I check that which is available for home gardeners, I notice it is just mostly N, P, K.

Plants grow well and fast with just those three minerals.

Further, when commercial crops are watered with municipal water supplies that frequently use sodium as a softener, any natural magnesium in the water is depleted by the addition of sodium.

It is a well-acknowledged fact that we have over-farmed the land here in the areas of commercial growers.

You are fortunate to live in a more rural area where natural still means natural.

When I do my own garden, I always add magnesium sulphate to each row along with organic fertilizer that contains the healthy minerals that plants need. Too bad I can't have a garden 12 months of the year!

Jackie
December 28, 2003 11:03AM
Carol - in the previous post today I commented I thought dietary calcium was not as bad as supplements for overload. I was totally incorrect...I certainly slipped a mental clog on that one. I'm going to blame residual anesthesia from the PVI.... smiling smiley

So, that said.... limited dietary calcium for the magnesium/calcium ratio and that would take care of little or no dairy with the candida as well.

Once you test negative for candida, small amounts of plain yogurt would probably help reinocculate the intestines with the important flora but I would rely heavily on the use of probiotics.

Sorry for the mental lapse!

Jackie
Richard
December 28, 2003 07:17PM
Carol and All,

I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed by all that is happening with your body, and believe me when I say, that I feel the same way sometimes. I too have battled the Candida issue, and have eliminated all sugars that can feed it, along with taking probiotics. I also suffer from outbreaks of Herpes zoster, that appears on my rear cheek.

We definitely are all biochemical individuals, as Jackie and others have said. The reason I say that is because I cannot tolerate any more than 100mg of Metagenics Mg. glycinate, but I think it's because I don't need Mg. Umpteen serum tests and one intracellular test has proven that I lean more to being high. My intracellular test actually showed me in the red, on the high side. Then in regards to CRP and homocysteine, my levels were low, but I showed high on an Oxidative Stress Panel, which also indicated I was low in Glutathione.

Carol, my suggestion to you would be to get to the bottom of exactly what is going on within your body. You've taken the tests through your doctor, and that's good, but I don't think those tests go into enough depth. The molecular tests that are offered now, can give you a much bigger picture. I'll tell you the tests I have taken, that I found most important and useful, and what I've learned. These were all through Great Smokies, and I'll list in the order of what I found most important.

Metabolic Analysis - By far the most important, because it measures the status of the Krebs Cycle and tells you if you're having problems with certain nutrients and neurotransmitters. This is where I found I was extremely low in B12 and folate, but the folate was trapped. I was also having problems with serotonin's and dopamine's pathway.

Serum Amino Acid Analysis - This was equally important, as I found I really had a problem with my sulfur aminos, such as methionine, cysteine, and taurine, with the latter being in the red, being that I was so low. I was also low in tryptophan and tyrosine. The sulfur aminos definitely tell me I'm having a problem with methylation, and that is where B6, B12 and folate come into play.

Comprehensive Vitamin Profile - This has equally been used as reference, because this is what told me that folic acid was trapped in the cell, because my result was so high. It also told me I was quite low in B6 and thiamine, but high in Vit. E and carotene. Oddly, this showed B12 as normal, so I have a bit more studying to do, to try and understand this. The only thing I can guess here, is that B12 has to be methylated, and because I was low in the sulfur aminos that donate their methyl groups, it wasn't being methylated, hence rendering it useless to the body, even though it was there. Since taking methylcobalamin, it has helped me immensely in regards to how I feel and think.

Elemental Analysis (Packed Erythrocytes) - This was the test that told me I was really low in molybdenum, normal in copper, zinc, potassium, manganese, and high in magnesium. This also told me I was high in mercury and tin, inside the cell. I might add, however, that my microbiologist friend, Dr. Wise, told me that the better way of knowing what was going on within the heart tissue, was to do a bucal (sp?) test. That's where you scrape some tissue from inside the mouth and have it tested. He said it was proven to be more indicative of what the mineral status of the tissue was, in the heart.

Bringing up the issue of methylation again, I cannot take higher doses of niacinamide, as it was giving me a headache. Again, because it has to be methylated, and I'm just not getting enough sulfur, of which I am now taking methionine, n-acetyl cysteine, alpha lipoic acid, and taurine. Dr. Wise said that everyone is lacking methionine. He doesn't know Fran, however, as I believe her diet is the ultimate.

It's late, so I'll close for now, but if you have any other questions, Carol, pls. ask. You must also remember that stress is NOT good, so just take baby steps, and join in the conf. room, when you have time, and take the under/over methylator test that Fran presented.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login