Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions for Fran

Posted by Cathy 
Cathy
Questions for Fran
October 15, 2003 05:36AM
Fran-

I keep reading with interest your various posts about being AF free for two years now once you took matters into your own hands.

Could you possibly tell us (me) exactly what your diet consists of, and which supplements, or vitamins and minerals you take?? Also do you take ANY "drugs" as prescribed by the physicians?

I am newly diagnosed, in August with LAF. However, I like you, know that I have suffered from this for at least several years prior to finally getting some attention and a proper diagnosis. My cardiologist, however nice he is, only gives me five minutes of his precious time. Hands out the diagnosis, a prescription for Digoxin, says "any questions", come back in three months". I feel like I am in a big dark room searching for the answers. Thank goodness I have found this board. (Incidentally I took myself off the Digoxin after only 3 weeks.)

I'm sorry if you have already answered these questions time and again. I'm relatively new here though, and haven't seen your regimen of what you did and continue to do in order to help yourself.

Cathysmiling smiley
Fran
Re: Questions for Fran
October 15, 2003 06:22AM
Cathy

I only eat fresh food that I prepare myself. I don;t eat anything that is boxed, packaged, canned etc. This avoids any named or unnamed additives, flavour enhancers or preservatives. Preservatives can legitimately be added to fresh frozen foods and fresh fruit juices at low concentrations without being labled.

I eat oily fish for breakfast followed by freshly squeezed oranges. For lunch I will have a few slices of cold meat and a large portion of salad made from green leafy veggies (not lettuce) - water cress, baby spinach etc, tomato, onion etc with alittle olive oil - or some home cured bacon and scrambled eggs and salad. I eat my last meal of the day about 5 or 6. Again fresh meat. loads of fresh veggies. For flavour I may add herbs and spices - from the whole - not ground or dried from a packet.

For snacks almonds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, fruit, sun dried fruit, slice of meat, and almond butter.

I don't eat dairy, grains, beans or potatoes. I thrive on it and wish I had known this years ago.

Fran
Fran
October 15, 2003 06:25AM
Forgot to add that I don't take any meds anymore. I stopped them 2 years ago after taking them for 20 years. I can't tolerate any supplements either. When ever I try to introduce them they irritate my heart....

Fran
Carol
October 15, 2003 07:52AM
Hi, Fran

You are becoming something of a guru!

I just emailed your post to my two sons in Portland, Maine and Paris, France.

Now to get back on the track of healthful eating myself.

Thanks.
Carol
Cathy
October 15, 2003 10:31PM
Thank you for responding, Fran. I would imagine eating your way involves quite a lot of cooking, and never eating out. I am ashamed to say I don't know if I have the resolve to do either. The next time I am in afib, though (which should be soon), I will tell myself that I might be able to avoid this by following a diet such as yours. When I'm feeling at my worst, I might be more open to trying to help myself. I guess that sounds pathetic, but with my job and lifestyle, i just don't know if I can commit to doing all of my own food preparation.

I do find it extremely interesting that you have more or less "cured" your afib by this method, though. I admire you immensely.

Cathy
Fran
October 16, 2003 05:39AM
Cathy

I spend less time preparing and cooking now than I ever did before. BEcause I am cooking from fresh and the whole (except for one or two treats) it takes less time to produce a meal. Waiting for pasta to cook, or preparing potatoes is what takes time. Fry grill or roast meat or fish and serve with raw green leaves or steamed or roasted veg is not time consuming. IT is liberating.

Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login