Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My A-Fib seems different

Posted by Elaine 
Elaine
My A-Fib seems different
December 07, 2003 02:52AM
I get 10 min to 2 hrs of A-Fib 1 to3 times a day. Most days. It is usually not severe enough to get my attention if I'm busy. I've been watching for it for a month or so and am keeping a log. Am I at lesser risk of stroke since I get it in short bursts or is the frequency a factor. Occasionally it gets a little rough.

Am I at risk of these episodes blending together and going into long episodes?

What equipment do you use to know the rates and PACs etc. Once I figure out what's happening with me and make sure I'm getting proper treatment or monotoring I'll be better able to relax about this.

I was diagnosed a month ago and immediately put on Toperal XL and Warfarin. After reading the reports here I think I should not be on any meds. I would prefer to thin my blood with vitamins.

I've read all the reports on this site and am waiting for Han's book. I've been reading all entries on this BB and am wondering whiy I'm so different and what it means.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Elaine
Peggy
Re: My A-Fib seems different
December 07, 2003 03:30AM
Elaine, the only thing that holds true for all afibbers is that each one is unique. That being said, as you read back thru the old posts [a very useful thing to do] you will see that there are some obvious groups, but the variation within those groups is continuous. Also, afib manifestations can change over time [and sometimes quite rapidly] in the same person, sometimes with medication, sometimes with supplementation [magnesium glycinate particularly], sometimes with no identifiable cause at all. Seems to me this means that afib is a symptom of many different conditions, poorly understood.

Amongst us, though, we do figure some of it out. Glad to talk with you.

Peggy
Richard
December 07, 2003 04:32AM
Elaine,

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself and share with us. What were your episodes like pre-meds and do you consider yourself vagal or adrenergic? Vagal is more that your episodes happened at night and adrenergic is that your symptons occurred during the day after exertion. Before diagnosis, for myself, my episodes would only come on during the day after some form of exertion, but at the time I didn't know what was happening. It was as if I hit a wall and couldn't take another step. After going to the hospital for the first time, I was put on a beta blocker, and my situation went from semi-bad to horrible. I then was having episodes all the time, but I didn't know, at the time, it was the meds. Beta blockers did not work for me, and Toprol was the worst. After taking Toprol, I couldn't even sit down in the evenings without my heartbeat plummeting. I was like a human yo-yo, getting up and down, to try and keep myself from going into AF. Also, how many episodes do you believe you had, prior to meds?

Richard
Elaine
December 07, 2003 05:43AM
Richard

My episodes are all over the map. Last night I had one from 12M to 1:30AM then again from 3 to 3:30AM. I have had them on waking, mid morning or mid day.
Exercise usually does not seem to bring them on. but my exercise is mild. Mostly walking or line dancing. They can come when I'm startled or just sitting at the computer playing cards or researching.
I'm not sure what was happening b4 I got on the meds. It started about 12 years ago and while I've mentioned it at every annual check up since then, doctors seemed to think it was not important. It was mild so I learned to ignore it. Although I noticed it more when awake in bed because I was quiet.
I don't seem to feel any different since on the meds although I'm focusing on the episodes so I can figure out if my treatment makes sense with what I'm learning about my condition.
Sometimes I'm not even sure I'm in Afib so I check my pulse. If my pulse is irratic I figure I must be .

Elaine
Fran
December 07, 2003 07:15AM
Elaine

The one thing that struck me about the timing of your episodes is that they seem to fall a few hours after meal times. Could you be having blood sugar problems?

Reactive hypoglycemia is a well known trigger for AF. Because your episodes are short it could be that when you liver kicks in with glucagen your AF rights itself.

If blood sugar is the problem here (I had this) you want to avoid any processed foods, sauces etc these are all high in MSG labled and hidden - (the reason for their inclusion is because they make you want more because of what they do to blood sugar). Also avoid things high on the glycemic index as these will also make your BS spike and crash and you want to avoid the body producing too much insulin.

An ideal meal to stop BS spikes and crashes would be some good quality protein, some fat and good complex carbs such as veggies. Nuts are great for snacks. I eventually had to give up all grains and potatoes to stop the reactive hypoglycemia.

The ommision of all forms of MSG and non paleo food has left me AF free and healthier than I was when a teenager.

I hope you can get to the bottom of yours as I did mine. Unfortunately it took me 20 years to suss it out. But boy it is worth it.

Fran
Richard
December 07, 2003 09:09AM
Elaine,

It sounds as if you are mixed, but as Fran has said, blood sugar could very well be your problem. Have you had an glucose tolerance test? Also, have you had your thyroid checked?

Richard
Elaine
December 07, 2003 10:33AM
Thanks, Fran. That sounds like a possiility. I've been keeping a diet log so I'll compare it to the A-fib log. I tend to lean toward carbs so I'll probably have to do some experimenting with my diet to find out.
I had noticed that I have a sensitivity to MSG. If I had Chinese food 2 X in one week I would get lightheaded or get a rash. So I've been careful of that for some time. I'll be more aware of what is in the food I'm eating as well. Sugar overload would make me lightheaded as well. I hadn't noticed if A-fib came with the lightheaded feeling. I tend to stay away from these things.

No, Richard, I haven't had a glucose test. I'll ask my doctor about that. I do have hypothyroid and have been on Levoxyl for 12 years. My doc checks it twice a year & I think he keeps me fairly stable.

Thanks, Peggy, I will continue to read the old BB messages to see what else applies to me. I'm sure Hans' book will have some words of wisdom as well. I should be getting it soon.

Is there any equipment I could get to help me measure what is going on in me? I have a hard time finding my pulse sometimes and it can get so irregular that I couldn't keep count no matter how I try.
Do any of you use that gadget to measure your own INR?
Are there any other gadgets I should have to help me keep track of this?

Thanks so much for your help
Elaine
Richard
December 07, 2003 12:01PM
Elaine,

Even though you've been on Levoxyl for 12 yrs. something could be going on within, and the med could be the cause. Here's the prescribing info link for Levoxyl and a brief excerpt.

Patients with underlying cardiovascular disease – Exercise caution when administering levothyroxine to patients with cardiovascular disorders and to the elderly in whom there is an increased risk of occult cardiac disease. In these patients, levothyroxine therapy should be initiated at lower doses than those recommended in younger individuals or in patients without cardiac disease (see WARNINGS; PRECAUTIONS, Geriatric Use; and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION). If cardiac symptoms develop or worsen, the levothyroxine dose should be reduced or withheld for one week and then cautiously restarted at a lower dose. Overtreatment with levothyroxine sodium may have adverse cardiovascular effects such as an increase in heart rate, cardiac wall thickness, and cardiac contractility and may precipitate angina or arrhythmias. Patients with coronary artery disease who are receiving levothyroxine therapy should be monitored closely during surgical procedures, since the possibility of precipitating cardiac arrhythmias may be greater in those treated with levothyroxine. Concomitant administration of levothyroxine and sympathomimetic agents to patients with coronary artery disease may precipitate coronary insufficiency.

Notify your physician if you experience any of the following symptoms: rapid or irregular heartbeat, chest pain, shortness of breath, leg cramps, headache, nervousness, irritability, sleeplessness, tremors, change in appetite, weight gain or loss, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, heat intolerance, fever, changes in menstrual periods, hives or skin rash, or any other unusual medical event.
[www.levoxyl.com]

Richard
Elaine
December 08, 2003 01:31AM
Thanks, Richard. Between hot flashes and afib most of thse symtoms can be considered normal to me.smiling smiley The info that less levoxyl may be needed as I get older may be particurlarly pertinent. I'll ask my doctor to try to regulate me to the lowest dose that will keep me within range. Actually we are in the process of regulating it down now. I get another test on Dec 19.
Thanks for the website, I'll check that out too.

Fran, in going over my diet and episodes there seems to be no difference on the days that I get no afib. In fact sometimes there was more reason to have afib on those days. But I did notice that the majority of episodes (10)
were in the early morning. They start b4 getting out of bed or shortly after.
4 mid morning, 4 evening, 2 afternoon, and 2 at night.
I'll keep logging and try changing my diet to see if it makes a difference. I think I'll wait til after til after Christmas to try that. It's a little hard to concentrate on that right now.

Thank you both, you are so good at picking up on clues. Years of practice, I guess.
Elaine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login