Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need some "Cold" medicine

Posted by MLM 
MLM
Need some "Cold" medicine
October 13, 2003 11:13PM
Since I am presently taking 150 mg of Norpace CR, once daily, I was warned by my cardio not to take any over-the-counter cold meds. Any suggestions for minor sore throat/congestion??

blessings,
MLM
MLM
Re: Need some "Cold" medicine
October 14, 2003 12:05AM
Also, What is a good brand/kind of Mag to take that "doesn't " have added calcium? All the kinds at my pharmacy have some additional minerals. I would like to order some mag glycante (sp) if it's calcium free!!

blessings,
MLM
Babs
October 14, 2003 01:55AM
Hi MLM,
done it again typed all up then hit dunno what key and it all vanished.

Right when i was admitted a year ago with Afibs i was also suffering abdly from flu symptoms very bad cough. The sister there told me and she also gave it to me that Simple Cough/cold medicine is safer than all the other ones and it is the cheapest to buy over the counter. Some Thorat/cough sweets are safe to have but ask the pharmasist which is ok, i had no problems with it. you can also just have normal boiled sweets to keep throat moist.

Have you tried the Health shops for Mag. normally have a good selection of them without any added other ingredients. Places like Holland and Barrett, they have special offers every week as well. i don't know what country you are in but i do know there are other health shops around. If not have you done a search on the net for Alternatives that sell online.

I hope you are feeling better soon i sympathsize.

Healing thoughts for you

Babs
Ella
October 14, 2003 06:53AM
For a sore throat I put a slice of Garlic clove in my mouth and keep it as long as I can, do this several times a day.
For congestion I put 8-10 drops of tobasco sauce (red pepper sauce) in a little warm water and slug it down, it work the same way as when your peel onions it makes your eyes water except it makes your sinuses water instead.

For cough I buy a cough syrup called Drosetux made by Dolisos it's a homeopathic remedy and does not contain alcohol or interfere with any meds.
Hope this helps.

Ella
Michael in San Fran
October 14, 2003 07:33AM
For colds I take echinacea in standardized tincture form. I caught a cold last week and here I am seven days later and the cold is completely gone. Echinacea is an immune-system stimulant, widely used in Europe and used by savvy cold-sufferers here. The standardized tincture is available in any health-food or vitamin store. Don't bother taking the capsules containing simply the ground-up herbs--you have no way of knowing whether the active ingredient is present in adequate quantity.

Take the echinacea every two hours for the first 24 and then three times a day. If I take echinacea when I first notice cold or sore throat symptoms, sometimes I avoid getting sick at all. But if I do contract the cold, I recover very quickly and the symptoms remain very modest.

The person from whom I caught this cold (a classmate) had been suffering for more than a week before I caught it from her. She is still miserable and I have had the cold and recovered.

Regarding magnesium glycinate, I use a product called KAL Magnesium Glycinate 400. I get it at my local health food store. If you type the name into your web search engine (Google) you will very likely come up with somewhere to buy it on the 'net.
Babs
October 14, 2003 10:13AM
I'm not sure if i was told or read but Echinachea wasn't recommended for people with certain heart conditions. But i used to take it and maybe if i have another cold (cross my fingers had enough last year) i think i would take a chance and take it again. Becuase i know that it helped me few years back.

Ella
i have also heard of some of those old remedies ugh!! but suppose to be good.

Babs
Fran
October 15, 2003 06:29AM
Ella

At the first sign of a cold I take garlic too. Seemingly it has lots of antibiotic properties. I don';t know if this works better but I learned that you could smash the garlic open, leave it a few minutes to activate the alicin and then swallow it whole. The smell doesn't come back??? I also munch on thyme from the garden - another great antibiotic. I haven't had a full blown cold for two years now...... Maybe I shouldn't speak so soon. Flu season is coming round again....

Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login