Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Babs
Cholestrol Level/Platelets Blood Test
November 19, 2003 12:34AM
Well i got my results back seems like my Platelet levels are ok. But my Cholestrol has gone upto 6.5 the level should be 5.

Suppose i'm not surprised as i haven't been able to exercise properly, going upstairs, walking fast is something i can't do like i used to as i get chest pain which was told has nothing to do with my Afib. OK can accept that ........But i'm annoyed as i mentioned my problem to my GP several times all he said was take painkillers if my legs hurt. He also gave me Asilon for indegestion/regurgance. Why didn't he think of giving me this blood test months ago i would never had put so much weight on. I have always been small. Ok i snack here and there, dont eat big meals, so get peckish. Have always been a veggie/salad eater. Seems like i'll have to cut out meat aarrgghh!!!, chocolate hell!!! etc. But then some veggie foods are fattening.

It took another doctor he has taken on at surgery to recomend this test. But now there are 2 new doctors both not english either...i think they are being trained for when they go back to their own countries.

Got my old exercise bike out the garage........puff puff!!!

Babs
Fran
Re: Cholestrol Level/Platelets Blood Test
November 19, 2003 05:46AM
Babs

It sounds like this is your total cholersterol. This figure does not take into account the ratio between HDL and LDL. Do you know what your nubers were for good cholesterol? If you divde this number into your total cholesterol then it may bring you cholesterol down. I remember when I had a total level like yours two of the GP's in my practive wrote to me. The first one said that my cholesterol was too high and I was to pop into the surgery where I would be sent off to see a dietician (low fat and all that). The other Dr also sent me my results but he worked them out. By dividing my good cholesterol into the total cholesterol he brough my number down to 4.9. I forget the exact number now but my good cholesterol was 1. something. This divided into 6 point whatever brought the level down to a good number. Both said my triglycerides were normal, and when I asked GP no 2 about GP no 1 wanting to refer me to a dietician he said there was absolutely no need. He had seldom seen such good good cholesterol.

No wonder patients get confused...

Hope that helps. But exercise is good anyway. Eat more oily fish.

Fran
J. Pisano
Re: Cholestrol Level/Platelets Blood Test
November 19, 2003 06:20AM
Babs,

Please check your ratio as Fran said, this is perhaps more important. Also, what is your homocysteine levels. These should have been reported as well and are probably more important in the diagnosis of CHD.

Please see the following post I submitted when talking to PC about Lipid Peroxidation, it describes the process of removing plaque from the arteries and the importance of Vitamin C in this process.

Author: J. Pisano (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: 11-10-03 14:01

PC,

Here is my understanding of Vitamin C and it's realtionship to CAD, other than it's known ability as an antioxident.

Vitamin C has been shown to add strength to artery walls. A lack of Vitamin C has shown to cause weakness in the artery walls, and in some very bad causes lead to scurvy (which is a leaky artery wall). Apoprotein then develops to effect a repair of the artery wall. Then the aproproten combines with fat/protein (lipoproteiins) to maintain the artery wall integrity.

High levels of lipoprotein A (aproprotein + lipoprotein) are good predictors of heart disease. The Lack of vitamin C plus excess levels of cholesterol and triglycerides causes severe arterial blockage.

Intake of Vitamin C encourages HDL carriers to remove the execess of triglycerides and cholesterol plus liprotein A levels will start to diminish. Continuing to supplement with Vitamin C will restore the integrity of the artery walls.

In a nutshell, that's a major component of Pauling's research, he also notes that the combination of Vitamin C and Lysine may very well prevent atheroschlerosis and reverse it as well.

Dr. McCully, proposed that high levels of homocysteine were the initial ravagers of the artery walls in 1969. This amino needs B6,B12 and Folic acid to be converted into more user friendly aminos such as the cysteines and others. Without it, homocysteine will acculumlate into toxicity with which it will cause this artery walls to start becoming damaged.

Some recent studies which confirm homocysteine to be a culprit in CAD are:

Shelub J. et al. Association between plasma homocysteine concentrations
and extracranial carotid artery stenosis. New England Journal of
Medicine 1995: 332(5): 286-291.

Graham I et al. Plasma homocysteine a risk factor for vascular disease,
JAMA 1997;277 (22): 1775-17891.
Babs
Re: Cholestrol Level/Platelets Blood Test - Vit C
November 19, 2003 09:00AM
I've been drinking Orange juice and other fruit juices for long time till it has been coming out of my ears. Maybe to much sometimes.

At moment i seem to be getting lot of burps, have feeling of regurgance in my throat, so now taking Asilon after every meal hoping that will help.

Fran
I was told just to cut out eggs, cheese and have semi skimmed milk well ive been drinking semi skimmed for years. Don't eat much cheese, i was eating more eggs but not lately ...seems like some people can eat more eggs than others.....i'm not that much of a lover of them either.

It's like trying to ask my GP's to squeezy water out of a stone to get any information from them like their doing me a favour, i was stalling changing doctors till i move.....which hopefully asap get a buyer for my house.

Babs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login