Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Right side Ablation

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Right side Ablation
October 09, 2003 11:48PM
My AF has increased in frequency again and my EP wants to try a right side ablation with an investigative cathater, He says he has been averaging about 50% success with this procedure.
This cathater has been rejected by the FDA for insuficient data, but appears to be reasonably safe and effective, it produces a linear leasion that seems to do the trick, according to what I have read.
This AF has made a mess of my life and I am at the moment leaning towards going thrugh the procedure but I am also trying not to be too desperate.
I have had one ablation for Wolf parkinson white syndrome and it was after that the AF popped up, I don't if the previous ablation had anything to do with the AF or not.
Any experience or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joe
Bill
Re: Right side Ablation
October 10, 2003 11:31AM
Joe- Sounds like you are talking about the Cardima procedure. I was part of the original trial and was on the wrong side of the 50%. Since then I have had a pacemaker implant with the AF suppression algorithim. Worked great for 4 months(pacemaker) then AF after 127 days, then after 37 days, then again after 40 hours this past Monday. My next step will be the Cleveland Clinic-no more trials. If I were you I would bypass the Cardima procedure and go for a PVI. Only one person's opinion.
Rod
October 10, 2003 12:46PM
Bill- Have you tried having the pacemaker set to pace the atria only (with ventricles on back-up only if the rate falls)? I'm into my tenth month with this and it's working well. I also take 180mgs SR Verapamil once a day to slow my natural pacing. My p/m has all the anti-AF gismos but they've never had to be switched on. Before the p/m I had 12/18 hour sessions every other day.
Bill
October 10, 2003 01:23PM
Rod-- I'm not sure mine has that capability-I'll certainly check. I believe from reading your posts in the past that you have either a medtronic or guidant model. Mine is a model from st. jude. I believe your's is activated if AF begins while mine is designed to suppress AF before it begins. Your's seems to be working- mine was, but no longer. I was having episodes every 3-7 days prior to implant. Four months of NSR ,then one month ,then two days. I see my EP next week. I'll ask about atria only pacing. Thanks
Rod
October 11, 2003 12:05PM
Bill - Mine is set to pace if the rate drops below 70bpm. As my natural hr is in the range 48/60 that means it's on all the time except when I'm exercising. My p/m technician says he has quite a bit of success out-pacing the natural rythm of the heart. Good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login