Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Consult with Dr. Natale/Marin General

Posted by afib wife 
afib wife
Consult with Dr. Natale/Marin General
November 14, 2003 10:40AM
We took the 4 1/2 hour drive to the San Fransisco area yesterday for a consult with Dr. Natale. Marin General Hospital is a beautiful facility. The people there were wonderful. Dr. Natales staff seems very knowledgable and very nice. We were impressed. They are currently scheduling in June 2004 for ablations, my husband asked if he could get in sooner if we went to Cleveland, he said they are scheduling in July there.

It seems as though Dr Natale surrounds himself with talent, those of us in California are very fortunate to have him here once a month. We look forward to hearing of Freds experience (his ablation is today at Marin General).

Congratulations Jackie, thank you for all your words of kindness during this difficult time. We truly look forward to getting our life back. This monster really does affect both patient and spouse. I don't know if anyone else feels it like I do, but it kills me to see my husband going through this at 41 years old and wondering what the future holds.

One of my questions was "What if he doesn't get this fixed?" The answer was, it will get worse....... eventually it will be persistent afib. Then you have the possiblity of Cardiomyopathy, which my husband was mistakenly diagnosed with before because of the afib.

Well I've said enough, thank you all for your invaluable insights, I wish I had more time to research so I could contribute more, I really appreciate all the research you do.

Sheryl
njb
Re: Consult with Dr. Natale/Marin General
November 14, 2003 11:18AM
Sheryl -
You are right. The monster does affect the patient and their significant others a lot. But hang in there. You will get through this. I think I am just about through with it after 5 years of treatment - I am 51. Since your husband is 10 years younger, he'll probably do even better. And you're now hooked up with one of the best doctors in the world! You'll be in my prayers.

njb
November 15, 2003 01:20AM
Sheryl - Thanks for writing. It will be worth the wait so be sure get on the list immediately. I'd recommend doing it close to home, just for peace of mind, although people travel regularly from all over to the CCF seemingly without a problem.

Your husband's life will certainly normalize. In the meantime, please have faith that you are doing the right thing. I can't tell you how relieved I am to have this thing behind me. While it's too soon to know for sure if I am "cured," the feeling of peace that I have is wonderful.

If your husband is interested, please have him email me privately so I can outline what I did in those six months while I was waiting for the Natale date. My success in calming down my heart pre-procedure gave me every confidence the result would be good. I'll be glad to help.

Blessings to you both and thanks for being a compassionate spouse. This is everythng and really terrible when it is not there.

Best regards, Jackie
Fred
November 15, 2003 10:44AM
Back home, hopefully cured.

I was in a terrible episode of flutter and fibrillation when I entered the hospital on Friday morning. There was no doubt that it was time.

Because I was in an episode when I entered the hospital, I had a TEE. My wife told me that it was very hard for me to swallow the probe but that I had an animated and friendly conversation afterwards with the doctor who performed the study. I have no memory of any of it--zero--just as well. I have only fleeting memories of the ablation proceeding itself. The insertions of the catheters were painful, probably because I require a lot of anesthesia to be knocked out. But it really didn't matter that much. I knew I was in good hands. Today, I feel good.

Dr. Natale's staff at Marin General is truly extraordinary. His chief assistant, Salwah, is so knowledgeable and caring. Same for Jan, Terry, Karen, Joan, Sonya (she is so warm--she came to see me at the hospital today on her day off, just to check up on how I was doing). Dr. Hao, I am told, is terrific as well, but I only met him when I was half under the anesthesia. I know I have failed to mention someone on that wonderful team, but the fog of anesthesia does that, and if anyone that I missed reads this, I hope that they understand. When I was transferred to the cardiac care unit down the hall, I was also treated extremely well. Because of my LAF, I have had the "pleasure" of visiting many hospitals in the Bay Area. This little community hospital in Marin County is probably the best I have experienced in terms of caring staff.

I met with Dr. Natale and Salwah for more than 30 minutes this morning. He cautioned me that we will not know if I have been cured for at least 2 months, and to expect some unpleasant episodes during that time. I should not be discouraged by such episodes, but to stay in close contact with Salwah, who will know what to do and will contact him as needed. Most people are cured after about 2 months--if I am not cured, he will have me come in to "touch up" some spots that may have healed in a way that allowed electrical connections to reappear.

Dr. Natale is a rare and extraordinary individual. We have all met doctors who are good at what they do but are so arrogant that you want to flee the room. Not so with Dr. Natale. Yes, it is clear that he knows that he is good--I could not have confidence in someone who has no confidence in himself. He has a technique that he believes will bring about a cure, but he was very open about how much more there is to learn about atrial fibrillation. He was so modest and caring in the way that he related to me (and, I am, sure to other patients) that I wanted to keep talking with him as long as he would allow it. And as one might have expected, he sat down on a chair, anwered my questions patiently and chatted with me.

I have lots of little tasks ahead. Lipitor, coumadin, sotolol (he changed my medication), frequent ekg readings with portable a "heart card," etc. I intend to follow up on all of them closely. I know that there is a small failure rate--I refuse to to dwell on that possibility. I have put myself in his hands--I will do everything his way. His track record is clear.

So, Sheryl, you and your husband should be patient. June seems like a long time from now. I was lucky to be treated with only a 4 month wait, but the wait has grown as more people have caught on to the fact that Dr. Natale really does have a high cure rate. If your husband is accepted into the program, it means that Dr. Natale thinks he can help him. It will be very hard for your husband for the next few months, but he will get there.

Fred
Erling
November 15, 2003 11:55AM
Thank you, Fred, for such a positive and excellent report. I am very glad that you had such a good experience with Dr. Natale and Marin General. I wish you the very best! May continuing blessings be yours!

Erling
afib wife
November 15, 2003 12:05PM
Great news Fred,

We felt the same way when we met Dr. Natale's staff, we knew my husband would be in good hands. I'm so glad to hear all went well for you, please keep us posted with monthly updates!!

Thanks,

Sheryl
Newman
November 15, 2003 03:24PM
Fred,

Welcome to the club.

I was thinking of you yesterday and I am happy your ablation went so well.

Keep us posted.

Newman
Pam
November 16, 2003 12:00AM
Fred:

Glad things went so well for you. With your patience over the next 2 or 3 months, perhaps you'll have the big CURE!!!

Best Wishes,
Pam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login