Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Three-Month Blanking Period After A-Fib Ablation Should Be Shortened, Researchers Say

Posted by sldabrowski 
PracticeUpdate: [prac.co]
Re: Three-Month Blanking Period After A-Fib Ablation Should Be Shortened, Researchers Say
April 25, 2024 11:45AM
That's always been my impression. I don't think recurrence in the first 30 days is meaningful, but after that I don't think it bodes well. By no means is it always the case, but I think it trends that way.
I agree, and posted research to that effect about a year and a half ago. The article said that AF and PACs in the first 6 weeks don't predict a poor outcome as much as later runs in the last half of the blanking period do. I have assumed this to be correct, notwithstanding my own index failure at just six whole days, and a run of AF for about 12 hours at the two week mark after my second ablation...which never did repeat. I have now gone 14 months free of any AF or PACs.

But from a personal standpoint, when I see people going to the Mayo Community Connect forums, or who come here, and say they are 6-14 weeks post ablation and still have symptoms or outright ECG evidence of PACs and AF, I feel badly having to tell them what I take to be an honest truth. I am careful to point out that individual cases vary, sometimes by weeks, but that generally late onset of AF in the blanking period does not offer a salutary prognosis.
And, in fact, most of our EPs take us off antiarrhythmic meds about 2 months post ablation, demonstrating their clinical experience with recurrences.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login