Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Estrogen and other hormones...

Posted by bettylou4488 
Estrogen and other hormones...
April 14, 2024 10:18PM
I suppose everyone has hormones but I am specifically interested in hearing about menopausal women and 1) how synthetic or bio identical hormones affected your experience with afib. and 2) Any kinds of pro or con discussions with your docs on taking them especially a cardiologist. . My gyn has told me for quite a few years that taking estrogen balanced with progesterone and testosterone (based on blood tests) could be helpful for a number of reasons and at the last visit he said how it is heart protective. My (congenital) cardiologist said "if you have to take them but not good for the heart." I think he is old school. I have a functional medicine cardiologist that doens't talk about them much but he isn't against it. So many opinions. I wish I could get the gyn and card to talk. I"m not even sure how to facilitate that but I want to get as many ducks in a row before I do. My reasons for wanting to take them are menopausal symptoms primarily. (lack of sleep, inability to loose weight.... those are the two biggies.).

I did a search of the files and there was one that GeorgeN did comment regarding estrogen and dementia. I am pretty sure I did progesterone many many moons ago and maybe triggered afib. But I can't remember that far back (so maybe brain fog could be helped as well LOL!)

thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2024 10:18PM by bettylou4488.
Re: Estrogen and other hormones...
April 14, 2024 11:41PM
I tried bioidenticals and it was a disaster. My testosterone got way too high!! My Naturopath said it probably made my heart rhythm worse. She said there Are much better, more controlled, and natural methods to balance hormones. She told me to stop using bioidenticals.
April 15, 2024 07:43AM
bettylou4488
2) Any kinds of pro or con discussions with your docs on taking them especially a cardiologist.

Not specific to afib, but you may want to listen to these two Peter Attia MD podcasts.

Peter Attia "The female sex hormone system [27:00];"

"In this special episode of The Drive, Peter provides a comprehensive overview of the various endocrine systems: the thyroid system, the adrenal system, and the sex hormone system (for both men and women). He walks through the basic biology and the feedback cycles that regulate the production of these hormones and discusses the various options for the treatment of hormone deficiencies. In addition, Peter delves into hormone replacement therapy (HRT), providing nuanced insights into its appropriate usage and the clinical approach he adopts when working with patients. "

This is an interview with Joann Manson MD the principal investigator with the Women's Health Initiative Study.

"JoAnn Manson is a world-renowned endocrinologist, epidemiologist, and Principal Investigator for the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI). In this episode, she dives deep into the WHI to explain the study design, primary outcome, confounding factors, and nuanced benefits and risks of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). JoAnn reflects on how a misinterpretation of the results, combined with sensationalized headlines regarding an elevated risk of breast cancer, led to a significant shift in the perception and utilization of HRT. From there, they take a closer look at the breast cancer data to separate fact from fiction. Additionally, JoAnn gives her take on how one should weigh the risks and benefits of HRT and concludes with a discussion on how physicians can move towards better HRT practices. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2024 01:52PM by GeorgeN.
April 15, 2024 01:38PM
GeorgeN

2) Any kinds of pro or con discussions with your docs on taking them especially a cardiologist.

Not specific to afib, but you may want to listen to these two Peter Attia MD podcast.

Peter Attia "The female sex hormone system [27:00];"

"In this special episode of The Drive, Peter provides a comprehensive overview of the various endocrine systems: the thyroid system, the adrenal system, and the sex hormone system (for both men and women). He walks through the basic biology and the feedback cycles that regulate the production of these hormones and discusses the various options for the treatment of hormone deficiencies. In addition, Peter delves into hormone replacement therapy (HRT), providing nuanced insights into its appropriate usage and the clinical approach he adopts when working with patients. "

This is an interview with Joann Manson MD the principal investigator with the Women's Health Initiative Study.

"JoAnn Manson is a world-renowned endocrinologist, epidemiologist, and Principal Investigator for the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI). In this episode, she dives deep into the WHI to explain the study design, primary outcome, confounding factors, and nuanced benefits and risks of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). JoAnn reflects on how a misinterpretation of the results, combined with sensationalized headlines regarding an elevated risk of breast cancer, led to a significant shift in the perception and utilization of HRT. From there, they take a closer look at the breast cancer data to separate fact from fiction. Additionally, JoAnn gives her take on how one should weigh the risks and benefits of HRT and concludes with a discussion on how physicians can move towards better HRT practices. "
Thanks for this info George
The discussion of Hypothyroidism by Peter Attia was very interesting because I am going through tests for this right now. It appears my Doc is only looking at TSH .I will make notes from the Video to become more informed Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login