Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation tomorrow

Posted by Fuzzyduck 
Ablation tomorrow
April 08, 2024 05:40PM
I am scheduled for PFA tomorrow, but I am now really nervous and wondering if I am doing the right thing as I have been in NSR since November, but have had lots of ectopics and arrhythmias since the episode in November. I am also last on the list at number 6, scheduled for 3 pm, this is also making me really nervous- would appreciate words of wisdom from those who have been there and had t done!!
Thanks
Re: Ablation tomorrow
April 08, 2024 06:12PM
Most go to their procedure with some trepidation, and that means most go into the lab WITH an arrythmia happening. I don't have statistics to back my assertion up, but it stands to reason that there is a lot at stake for those submitting to the procedure, not least of which is if there is no improvement, but also that there might be little recourse if the procedure fails, especially three or four times.

I was in arrhythmia for all three procedures that required catheterization, although it was coming and going minute-by-minute. I was nervous, and that is what kept me on the fence.

However, I was in NSR for weeks prior to each of my procedures. The EP can stimulate the heart into an arrythmia if he/she feels it is required, but it doesn't always work. So, I would counsel you to enjoy it when you are in NSR, and let your body and emotions govern how you approach the event when it takes place. If you're lucky, you might find yourself in some trepidation which will, in turn, probably, not certainly, induce some arrhythmia.

Beyond that, I am out of my depth of experience, and will be interested in others sharing their learning and experiences. But I would tell you not to sweat it. Let them figure it out. Remember, they don't issue an instruction saying that if you're not in AF to not bother coming in and try to cancel 24 hours in advance. That might preclude 80% of us from ever getting a procedure!!
April 08, 2024 06:15PM
Ha Ha! thanks, I guess you are correct!! I think I nearly put myself in afib last night with worry!!
April 08, 2024 07:58PM
Fuzzyduck
I am scheduled for PFA tomorrow, but I am now really nervous and wondering if I am doing the right thing as I have been in NSR since November, but have had lots of ectopics and arrhythmias since the episode in November. I am also last on the list at number 6, scheduled for 3 pm, this is also making me really nervous- would appreciate words of wisdom from those who have been there and had t done!!
Thanks

If Natale scheduled you, his assessment is that you will benefit from the ablation as he wouldn't subject a patient to an ablation unnecessarily. Being number 6 may not mean the 6th full ablation for him in the day as he will likely be doing other procedures like Watchmen as well and these don't take as long. When you arrive in the TCAI waiting area you will see an electronic board giving all the procedures scheduled for the day, the time and who is performing it. There will likely be TEEs on the board as well, and while Natale doesn't himself do the TEEs, he reads each one and does a consult with the patient during the day, between his procedures.

Hopefully with a 3 pm time you will get a full night's sleep! I was first up for mine and knowing I had to show up at the hospital at 5 am made it really hard to sleep. And here is a suggestion: if you are feeling nervous while waiting in the prep room, post here and we will give you words of encouragement! You will have internet access and don't need to feel alone as you have a lot of veterans here. Best wishes, you'll be glad that you went ahead with this.
April 08, 2024 08:21PM
I was experiencing afib episodes once a year. That all changed Fall of 2022 when suddenly they were occurring more frequently. If I wasn't in afib there were times when I was experiencing frequent PAC. I feel every irregular beat so if it was afib or PAC I was uncomfortable and stressed. I saw the EP and he spent over an hour with me. He gave me all my options and recommended the ablation based on what I was experiencing. I agreed. I did not like the bouts of arrhythmia. I wanted to be back to being free of that feeling.

My last afib episode was the beginning of March. My ablation was the beginning of June. The in between time there were a couple times when the PAC were occurring but not one afib episode.

I never once thought to change my mind because I did not have afib over the 3 months. I knew it was possibly always around the corner. I know everyone is different on how they view things but I accepted I was having it. Slept fine the night before. Was not worried the day of. I just kept thinking about the goal of the end result. My recovery was easy. Left the hospital later that afternoon. Only issues slight sore throat from ET tube and some pain urinating due to the foley catheter. That all disappeared within 24 hours. I do not regret having it done.

Good luck on the ablation.
April 08, 2024 09:54PM
Thanks Daisy, that’s reassuring!
April 08, 2024 09:55PM
Thank you! I have to remember the end goal!!
April 09, 2024 04:07PM
Keep us posted how it went, thinking of you!!
April 10, 2024 10:54AM
Thank you Megan, it went smoothly so far. Are you having an ablation with Dr.Natale? I think I saw somewhere you are thinking about it? If you have any questions feel free to ask!!
April 10, 2024 12:50PM
Fuzzyduck
Thank you Megan, it went smoothly so far. Are you having an ablation with Dr.Natale? I think I saw somewhere you are thinking about it? If you have any questions feel free to ask!!

Glad that it went well and hope all continues to be smooth. Be sure to ask for your written report before discharge—it tells the story in detail and you will be glad to have it in your medical records.
April 10, 2024 05:06PM
Oh no, they wouldn’t give me a written report and said I have to request it through the portal. I would really like to know what they found. I know they ablated three areas including the apVI, posterior wall and a minor part on the appendage. I had a brief moment of afib during it. I don’t know how my heart is going to perform but so far so good
April 10, 2024 06:18PM
Fuzzyduck
Oh no, they wouldn’t give me a written report and said I have to request it through the portal. I would really like to know what they found. I know they ablated three areas including the apVI, posterior wall and a minor part on the appendage. I had a brief moment of afib during it. I don’t know how my heart is going to perform but so far so good

They use 2 portals, one for St. David's and one for HCA, the hospital group. You probably had to join both portals when you were getting set up for the ablation. So look in both, but I think you may find it in the HCA portal--just log in and poke around. I know I found a lot of things there, including a list of all the medications I was given. They also gave me a printed copy when I was discharged. If you can't find your report, your nurse navigator should be able to send you a copy. I found mine very interesting, almost like reading a thriller! "So far so good" sounds very encouraging! Did you get a chance to talk to Dr. Natale?
April 10, 2024 07:24PM
Fuzzyduck
I know they ablated three areas including the apVI, posterior wall and a minor part on the appendage.

Curious, when you get the report, if they used the PFA tool for all of it?

Glad it is going well so far!
April 10, 2024 07:52PM
GeorgeN
Curious, when you get the report, if they used the PFA tool for all of it?

Doubt it since they did more than a PVI.

But glad it all turned out well, Fuzzy!
April 10, 2024 09:39PM
They used to quote 'isolation of PVs and LA PW -
LAA delayed - total of 74 pulses delivered during the procedure' which leads me to think it was all pulse field
April 10, 2024 09:41PM
Daisy

They use 2 portals, one for St. David's and one for HCA, the hospital group. You probably had to join both portals when you were getting set up for the ablation. So look in both, but I think you may find it in the HCA portal--just log in and poke around. I know I found a lot of things there, including a list of all the medications I was given. They also gave me a printed copy when I was discharged. If you can't find your report, your nurse navigator should be able to send you a copy. I found mine very interesting, almost like reading a thriller! "So far so good" sounds very encouraging! Did you get a chance to talk to Dr. Natale?

There was a list of all the meds and the number of pulses used, is that what you mean? I mean the meds are extensive during the procedure if they used them all!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login