Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

walking after procedure

Posted by Shiny Sleeves 
walking after procedure
April 06, 2024 08:01PM
I like to walk. Ablation causes some inflammation of the heart. When will I be able to do my strolling again? I don't want to inadvertently hurt myself.
Re: walking after procedure
April 06, 2024 08:23PM
Shiny Sleeves
I like to walk. Ablation causes some inflammation of the heart. When will I be able to do my strolling again? I don't want to inadvertently hurt myself.

You'll be surprised--as soon as I got back to my room after my ablation, the nurse came in to orient me and then told me to WALK, walk, walk! She said that she wanted to see me out in the corridor as much as possible. After you get home (or back to your hotel), walk as much as you feel comfortable doing. You don't want to push it past what feels natural and comfortable, so just increase it according to how you feel. For the first few days you may need to be careful climbing stairs it if is putting pressure or pulling on your groin incisions and for a week you should not carry anything over 10 pounds, but walking is fine as long as it feels good.
April 06, 2024 11:18PM
By all means, get up and move. Walk all you want. Do more than that if you feel up to it. People get annoyed and want to argue with me when I tell them this, but I once did a 50-mile bike ride in challenging terrain 3 days after an ablation, and I did it with the EP's full blessing. The heart can handle a lot more exercise without harm after an ablation than people want to believe. There's a reason most EPs don't give more limiting instructions post-procedure than simply not lifting more than 10 lbs for a week, which is purely to protect the insertion sites. And that's because they know the heart isn't the delicate flower and an ablation isn't the major surgery that many people like to think it is.
April 07, 2024 12:48AM
My hospital wouldn't release me to my wife, who was waiting in the hallway outside the Short Stay Ward, until I had eaten and drunk, kept it down, and then walked around the ward for at least ten minutes unassisted and without calling for assistance. So, walking was the second and final requirement, apart from six or seven consecutive decent BP readings.

Your best guide is how you feel. If you can feel the call of the outdoors, dress up appropriately and head out. Don't go far, but enjoy the fresh air, and if you need to get back to a chair shortly, you won't have far to go. Later that day, after supper maybe, try it again. Let your body tell you.
Ken
April 07, 2024 09:18AM
My last ablation was day surgery and the next day I was walking over a mile.
April 07, 2024 01:23PM
The best advice is to listen to your body. Try not to do too much before you get a feel of what you can really do. It took me a few days to get back to feeling good about moving around. I know others that are up and moving right away. For me, I felt good sitting or laying down in bed. But I had vertigo to the extreme when I got up and first started moving. After I was up for a bit, I was generally ok but didn't push too far. I hate to just sit, and like to be in motion as much as possible. It was rough those first few days. But it got better every day, just listen to your body and follow the guideline it has set for you.
April 07, 2024 03:12PM
How you feel is your best guide. Some go back to normal activities right away, others take weeks or months. Personally, I spent the first week in the house with only short strolls around the block. Gradually increased activity and did not get back to my full walking program for three months. Your body will be going through a physical and perhaps psychological insult, so give it back some kindness afterwards.

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login