Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

shingles vaccine

Posted by Yuxi 
shingles vaccine
March 29, 2024 10:57AM
My GP reminded me again of getting shingles vaccine. I am very cautions on getting any sort of vaccine now because of Afib. If you have done it can you share your experience? thanks!
Re: shingles vaccine
March 29, 2024 01:14PM
In my region, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, we take two different vaccines. Or rather, two are available. It has been a few years, but I belief the Shingrix variety has two applications, two or three months apart. The Zostavax is a single injection. Or so my brain tells me years later.

To your question, I have never had a memorable or untoward reaction to any vaccine, and being in the Canadian military for 30 years, I have had my share of 'em. After I left the service, I had a yellow fever vaccine for travel to S. America, and Hepatitis (Twinrix), and two pneumonia variety shots, plus the two shingles vaccines, Zostavax and Shingrix. Never had a rash, a chill, sore arm...nada.

With that said, you may be entirely different. Some people do report chills to any one vaccine, or a very sore muscle grouping at the top of their arm, or sniffles, or.....pick 'em.

If you have the occasional unwanted bout of AF, and it happens within 72 hours of your important injection, how bad can it be? You get them anyway, but meanwhile you're being prevented from getting an even worse condition that would have AT LEAST the same probability of driving your heart into AF, but probably a lot higher.

Get the shot! Shots!
March 29, 2024 01:52PM
I got the two injection (as Gloaming noted) Shingrix set about a year ago and did not notice anything untoward. I'm selective with vaccines and did notice an association of increased afib with C19 vaxes. Having a genetic risk and family association with Alzheimer's, the data suggesting a 25% reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's disease for those having the vaccine convinced me to get the set.
March 29, 2024 01:58PM
GeorgeN
I got the two injection (as Gloaming noted) Shingrix set about a year ago and did not notice anything untoward. I'm selective with vaccines and did notice an association of increased afib with C19 vaxes. Having a genetic risk and family association with Alzheimer's, the data suggesting a 25% reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's disease for those having the vaccine convinced me to get the set.

I would love to read that info George if you have a link available.
March 29, 2024 03:19PM
bettylou4488

Study publication

"Folks who received the Tdap/Td vaccine to protect against tetanus and diphtheria were 30% less likely than their unvaccinated peers to develop Alzheimer’s disease, according to the research. About 7% of vaccinated patients developed Alzheimer's versus 10% of unvaccinated patients.

Shingles vaccination was associated with a 25% reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease (8% of vaccinated patients versus 11% of unvaccinated patients). The pneumococcal vaccine was associated with a 27% lower risk of developing the disease (8% of vaccinated patients versus 11% of unvaccinated patients)." Article

I also got the Tdap about 20 months ago without issue. There are also data similarly on the TB (BCG) vaccine.
March 29, 2024 04:58PM
Ever know somebody with shingles? As much as you may hate afib, you're going to hate shingles a whole lot more. We're talking about 3-5 weeks of an excruciatingly painful rash that can become infected, it can infect your eyes, potentially leading to vision loss, and it can even infect the lungs, causing pneumonia.

No thank you. I'd take 3-5 weeks of afib over that.
March 29, 2024 06:09PM
My father in law got the Shingles vax and 2 weeks later developed shingles!!!
March 29, 2024 08:02PM
Yeah, it can happen because the vaccine takes more than 2 weeks to become effective, but the vaccine does not cause shingles.

I got my first shingles vaccine in December, so thank you for reminding me that I'm due for the second.
March 29, 2024 09:55PM
As I stated in my first post, there are two shingles vaccines, and I believe the one, Shingrix, requires two exposures separated by several months. If this is the case, then a single dose will obviously have less of a protective effect.
March 29, 2024 10:03PM
GeorgeN

Study publication

"Folks who received the Tdap/Td vaccine to protect against tetanus and diphtheria were 30% less likely than their unvaccinated peers to develop Alzheimer’s disease, according to the research. About 7% of vaccinated patients developed Alzheimer's versus 10% of unvaccinated patients.

Shingles vaccination was associated with a 25% reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease (8% of vaccinated patients versus 11% of unvaccinated patients). The pneumococcal vaccine was associated with a 27% lower risk of developing the disease (8% of vaccinated patients versus 11% of unvaccinated patients)." Article

I also got the Tdap about 20 months ago without issue. There are also data similarly on the TB (BCG) vaccine.

Thanks. Very interesting..
March 30, 2024 09:03AM
Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts. Very interesting research study, George.
March 30, 2024 09:45PM
In all the times in the hospital never was I asked if I had a shingles vaccination. Pneumonia they asked.
March 31, 2024 02:20PM
My mother had permanent AFIB, Colon Cancer Breast Cancer Peripheral artery disease and stenting, GI Bleeds, Congestive heart failure, Itubated 5 times, Aortic Stenosis and valve replacement,broke her hip but luckily it was the Pubic Rami bones but healed...collapsed and almost died after AV node heart rate dropped to 15-20bpm but somehow survived got a pacemaker...but was a trooper and I got her thru all of it for 22 years!!!!
Guess what she complained about for the better part of 10 years till she passed pancreatic C at 90.......SHINGLES!!!
It felt like someone was stabbing her and opened wounds in her back. She would ask every doctor dentist PA Nurse if they can look at it!!!!

I got Shingrix 2 doses

McHale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2024 02:21PM by McHale.
March 31, 2024 09:31PM
McHale, so sorry for what your mother had gone through, can’t imagine all the pain and suffering she endured.
March 31, 2024 09:35PM
Just realized Shingles vaccine is only good for 7 years, ugh.
March 31, 2024 10:50PM
Why is that such a big deal?
April 01, 2024 12:20AM
Tetanus is only good for ten years. If you get shingles, you get it for life.
April 01, 2024 08:50AM
Yuxi
Just realized Shingles vaccine is only good for 7 years, ugh.

In the most recent study, it shows strong benefit for 10 years.

The issue is that the vaccine is relatively new, so longer term data aren't available. The first study was for 7 years.
Joe
April 01, 2024 06:56PM
I never had Herpes in any shape or form in my 74 years. There is an antibodies test:

VZV IgG antibody testing can be used, along with IgM testing, to help confirm the presence of a recent or previous VZV infection. Viral detection involves finding VZV in a blood, fluid, or tissue sample. This can be done either by culturing the virus or by detecting the virus's genetic material (VZV DNA).6 Oct 2023
Wonder if anybody had it?
Pretty sure the GP would tell me to just have the jab eye rolling smiley. Did get a whooping cough vax after showing no antibodies about 4/5 years ago. Got the test because i sure had whooping cough as a child.
April 01, 2024 08:08PM
Joe
Wonder if anybody had it?

I had chickenpox as a child (and so did everyone I knew).

"Chickenpox, or chicken pox, also known as varicella,[pronunciation?] is a highly contagious, vaccine-preventable disease caused by the initial infection with varicella zoster virus (VZV), a member of the herpesvirus family." Source
April 01, 2024 08:40PM
Something like 97% of the population is positive for varicella antibodies, so there's almost no point in asking if someone had it. The answer is yes, even if they don't remember.
Ken
April 02, 2024 08:48AM
I need to move ahead with the new vaccine, I had the older one several years back. I also had shingles about 30 years ago, on the upper left quadrant of my head/face. Really ugly with remaining scars, but - NO pain. Luckly, it did not get into my eye or optic nerve, which was a major concern.
Joe
April 02, 2024 08:00PM
Thanks George, since you mentioned chicken pox - i remember that i had that one as well. Probably had all the contagious infections plus some in my childhood without any adverse effects.
April 02, 2024 09:18PM
Joe
Thanks George, since you mentioned chicken pox - i remember that i had that one as well. Probably had all the contagious infections plus some in my childhood without any adverse effects.

My layperson's understanding is that the chickenpox virus stays dormant in the body after the infection. I assume the immune system is handling this. Then as we age, our immune system tends to degrade and that is when shingles can appear. As others have noted, it is not something you'd want to experience.
April 02, 2024 11:39PM
GeorgeN
As others have noted, it is not something you'd want to experience.

On the other hand, not to minimize the importance of vaccination, but when a shingles lesion appeared above my eyebrow, I immediately recognized what it was, went to urgent care, started Valtrex the same day, and it was gone in three days with hardly any symptoms. I know I am lucky, but just want to say that it sometimes it can be nipped in the bud and disappear quickly. I had not been vaccinated.
April 03, 2024 12:54AM
Impressive that you self-diagnosed so quickly, Dr. Daisy. winking smiley

Thanks to this thread my second Shingrix vaccine is scheduled for next Monday. (Because not foolish enough to get a vaccine right before or during a weekend!)
April 04, 2024 09:28PM
Carey
Something like 97% of the population is positive for varicella antibodies, so there's almost no point in asking if someone had it. The answer is yes, even if they don't remember.

I remembered mine. Age 5. It started mid May and continued to pox over and over in areas that were already healing. It lasted until September. My pediatrician never had a case like this. I went to see him regularly during this time and he confirmed it kept reoccurring over and over. I think the hot summer is the worst time because unless your family had air conditioning in the 50’s, it was plenty uncomfortable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login