Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amoxicillin and Flacainide

Posted by Edda 
Amoxicillin and Flacainide
February 28, 2024 04:32AM
I was afib free for about a year and then, probably connected my LPR, I got several episodes since October 2023. They are now monthly. When an episode starts I take 25 mg metoprolol, then 1/2 hour later 100 mg flacainide. Usually this converts me within 4 hours.Tonight I again went into afib. My question Is: I am now on amoxicillin for sinusitis (I am also on famotidine for LPR), can I still take the flacainide or is there an interference with the amoxicillin? Some antibiotics seem to be counter indicated when used with flecainide. Thanks!
Re: Amoxicillin and Flacainide
February 28, 2024 10:35AM
There is no interaction between flecainide and amoxicillin, but there is a moderate interaction between famotidine and flecainide. You might want to ask the doctor who prescribed the famotidine if there's another option.

Incidentally, I answered your question based on the interactions checker at drugs.com. It's reliable and very useful.
February 28, 2024 04:21PM
Thank you Carey! I actually think that the famotidine triggered my episodes: I have monthly episodes while on famotidine, while I had yearly episodes before
February 28, 2024 06:48PM
Well, there's another reason to try an alternative. There are lots of choices.
February 28, 2024 07:36PM
Can you recommend some? It seems most people take either famotidine or omeprazole. Or supplements, like DGL, slippery elm, marshmallow tea, Manuka honey, gaviscon..... By now I tried everything, just can't get rid of the tickling in the throat and constant cough from the sinusitis/post-nasal drip, which is supposedly caused by LPR
February 28, 2024 08:50PM
Dealing with reflux is way out of my wheelhouse. You probably know more about it than I do, but I would assume that you don't want a drug in the same class as famotidine, which is a histamine-2 blocker. Maybe something like Prilosec, which is a PPI? Talk to the GI doc who prescribed the famotidine, and if it wasn't a GI doc, find one and do a consult.
February 28, 2024 11:43PM
Yeah, maybe it's time to go with a PPI, try to avoid, though
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login