Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two Studies Regarding Omega 3 Supplementation.....

Posted by ama1952 
Two Studies Regarding Omega 3 Supplementation.....
February 17, 2024 09:14PM
I've always been encouraged by my physicians to take a generous amount Omega 3 fish oils to help with cardiovascular issues. Recently, to my surprise I came across a couple of articles published in 2021 which discuss 2 separate studies that indicate that taking Omega 3 Fish Oils may not be a good idea when it comes to AFIB:

1. The first study warns that taking more than 1 gram of Omega 3 per day may help cause a person to develop AFIB - [www.cedars-sinai.org]

2. The second study also indicates that supplementing with Omega 3 puts one at greater risk for AFIB development and can be seen here-
[www.sciencedaily.com]

I'm not sure what to make of all of this, as it certainly goes against everything I've been told about Omega3's over the past few decades.
Re: Two Studies Regarding Omega 3 Supplementation.....
February 17, 2024 10:19PM
ama1952
1. The first study warns that taking more than 1 gram of Omega 3 per day may help cause a person to develop AFIB - [www.cedars-sinai.org]

I only took the time to scan the actual paper for this link.

It is a meta analysis of 7 studies.

If the confidence intervals (CI) for the hazard ratios (HR) include 1.0 then the results aren't statiscically significant.. In Figure 1, note that 5 of the 7 studies have CI's that include 1.0 in the interval. Not something I'd pay a lot of attention to. In Table 2, they only give P values for some of the trials and a couple are high, around 0.19 (should be <=0.05 to be statistically significant).
February 29, 2024 01:03PM
William Harris, PhD, who has studied omega 3's for decades reviews a number of the studies in this YouTube. He doesn't mention the lack of statistical significance in some of the studies that I highlighted above. In one study, he noted that those taking omega 3's lived longer, so had more time to develop afib. An interesting thought.
February 29, 2024 02:08PM
Yes, and cancer, too. sad smiley
March 03, 2024 03:19PM
I did some pretty extensive Omega 3 testing a few years back to see if it would alleviate my ectopy. It clearly appeared to make it worse, especially if I went beyond 1.5g a day. As I increased my intake up to 7g a day (Dr. Sears crazy recommendation), it progressed proportionally worse along the way. But that's just me.

I now just eat fish two or three days a week and have not noticed fish affecting it at all.

JohnG
March 03, 2024 04:03PM

But that's just me.

Not just you—me too!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login