Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VERY Cautious Optimism

Posted by MeganMN 
VERY Cautious Optimism
February 17, 2024 01:58PM
I have been researching and reading many of the posts about natural treatments. Last night I tried some Theanine Serene that I had purchased previously. It contains GABA, Taurine, L-Theanine, Holy Basil extract, and Magnesium.

I cannot say for certain, without more success, but last night was the first night in over a year that I had almost no ectopy. Wouldn't that be amazing if it happened again tonight?
Re: VERY Cautious Optimism
February 17, 2024 04:26PM
I hope this works for you again tonight!
February 17, 2024 05:28PM
MeganMN
I have been researching and reading many of the posts about natural treatments. Last night I tried some Theanine Serene that I had purchased previously. It contains GABA, Taurine, L-Theanine, Holy Basil extract, and Magnesium.

I cannot say for certain, without more success, but last night was the first night in over a year that I had almost no ectopy. Wouldn't that be amazing if it happened again tonight?

Hope it works! How much Taurine? Studies have shown its value in preventing arrhythmias.
February 17, 2024 06:24PM
I tried Arginine and Taurine at one point but the Arginjne messed up my stomach. The supplement has:
300mg Magnesium
500mg GABA
450 mg Taurine
200mg L-Theanine
100mg Holy Basil

I have also been taking the ginger, and another antiinflammatory, but last night was my first night with any relief.
February 17, 2024 07:49PM
All those ingredients look good. Note that if it seems warranted you could safely increase the Taurine significantly. I take about 3000 mg as it also helps with sleep. Hope this continues to help.
February 18, 2024 10:19AM
No such luck last night, but I am still encouraged that I had ONE SVT free night. Guess I will still try the Multaq tomorrow.
February 18, 2024 11:20AM
Give the Multaq a few days before drawing conclusions. Like many drugs, it takes a while to reach full serum levels.
February 19, 2024 04:45PM
Thanks Carey, my first dose has not been fantastic. He only has me taking 200mg twice a day because I am so sensitive to meds and my heart rate has been increased in the 100-120 range from about an hour after taking it. I cannot find any information on it CAUSING tachycardia, but it certainly seems to have done that! I'll keep on trying, but the first half a day have not been fantastic. Also thinking I may be having more Flutter. AM posting a strip for review. I sent it to my EP and heard nothing back.
Attachments:
open | download - EKG1.pdf (113.2 KB)
February 19, 2024 06:11PM
No, it's not known to be pro-arrhythmic. That strip looks to me like a mix of flutter and afib, but hard to say for sure from a short bit of single-lead ECG. I would suggest hanging in there for a week if you can.
February 19, 2024 09:33PM
I have been taking Multaq for about 5 and half months. I have never had it increase my heart rate. It does take a few days to get into your system and really start working. Hopefully things will calm down and you can get some relief.
February 20, 2024 12:48AM
I see a varied QRS interval, but in almost every case, one or two without, there is still an apparent P-wave. I haven't figured out the rate, but I also see what appears to me to be flutter, and one notable pause or skipped beat in the second tier. Is there such a thing as RVR with flutter?
February 20, 2024 07:05AM
Thanks. I will try to keep up on the Multaq and give it a week. I am still in significant Sinus Tach with minimal movement butbeill talk with the nurse today. Thanks all.
February 20, 2024 10:45PM
I feel seriously doomed. Day Two on the Multaq, I think I,am allergic. Itchy, swollen eyes, flushing type rash. Goodness. Can I ever catch a med break?
February 20, 2024 11:06PM
Eeeeh.... maybe don't try to hold out for a week if you're showing allergy signs.
February 21, 2024 05:07AM
Goodness. I am so annoyed. Sorry for the rant. I am laying on the couch wide awake and trying not to freak out. I'm still taking Colchicine for the terrible pericarditis after the last failed ablation. Now I have weird itching and tingling from the Multaq. So now in my wide awake state, I read that Multaq and Colchicine have MAJOR interactions and should NOT be used together.. How in the world did my pharmacist not catch that? Goodness. What a mess...
February 21, 2024 10:57AM
Yeah, they do have a major interaction. Multaq can raise your serum levels of colchicine to dangerous levels. You should stop one or the other until you talk to your EP.
February 23, 2024 09:56AM
One more Multaq question. It seems to have slowed my heart rate down quite a but, but hasn't really stopped the atrial bigeminy or atrial tachycardia. The rates are just way slowed down. Is that the goal? I'm not sure if it is worth the risk of med complications to have a slower rate but still all the ectopy?
Also wondering about QT prolongation. At my last calculation, my qtc is now 480-510 ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2024 10:21AM by MeganMN.
February 23, 2024 10:57AM
Multaq is an antiarrhythmic, so the goal is eliminating arrhythmias, such as atrial tachycardia. When you say it has slowed your heart rate down, how much do you mean? What is it at night now and what was it without the Multaq?

A QT of 480-510 is concerning, but how did you calculate it? Can you get in to see someone who can get a 12-lead on you, even if it's just a walk-in clinic?
February 23, 2024 11:08PM
Great questions, Carey. Reviewing my monitor results, prior to Multaq, I ran from 87 to 127 at night with 30-50% burden of atrial tachycardia / bigeminy / etc., with an average QTc of 404-410. I am an ER Nurse and have training to measure and calculate the corrected QT.

After Multaq, my rate has been more like 80-110 with just as frequent atrial bigeminy and atrial tachycardia, but the SVT is at a slower rate, if that makes sense. 24 hours after starting Multaq, my QTc was 433, 431, etc. 48 hours later I measured 468, 472, etc. 72 hours after starting it, I was measuring 498, 485, etc. Today, now on Day 5, I am measuring 490, 516, 527. I have an appt on Monday with my EP, but am guessing that Multaq will be another dead end for me.

I also had to stop taking the Colchicine and cannot use my Albuterol because of the Mulraq. I can get an informal EKG in the ER where I work. But I think the writing is already on the wall. I am planning to ask Monday if we can try Verapamil next.....
February 24, 2024 01:35AM
You're having a hard time catching a break. I'm sorry.
February 25, 2024 03:21PM
MeganMN
I tried Arginine and Taurine at one point but the Arginjne messed up my stomach. The supplement has:
300mg Magnesium
500mg GABA
450 mg Taurine
200mg L-Theanine
100mg Holy Basil

I have also been taking the ginger, and another antiinflammatory, but last night was my first night with any relief.

How do you know it’s the Multaq that maybe causing an allergic reaction? Perhaps stop the supplements and slowly introduce one at a time.
February 25, 2024 03:39PM
Thanks, Susan, I stopped all the supplements because the pharmacist said Multaq has many, many interactions with things. I just stopped the Multaq, am restarting the supplements, and will ask about Verapamil at my appt tomorrow!
February 25, 2024 04:05PM
MeganMN
Thanks, Susan, I stopped all the supplements because the pharmacist said Multaq has many, many interactions with things. I just stopped the Multaq, am restarting the supplements, and will ask about Verapamil at my appt tomorrow!

Yes, I was glad to stop Multaq for that very reason—so many interactions. I hope Verapamil works for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login