Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's your gut feeling on gut health and AF

Posted by Joe 
Joe
What's your gut feeling on gut health and AF
February 15, 2024 04:57PM
The day before yesterday we had a major power outage that lasted for almost 12 hours. Was out and about and felt very hungry so i ate a block of chocolate with almonds in it. As soon as i finished it i had AF that lasted about 6/8 hours (took 50mg Flec 3 times)
Just came across this:
[www.youtube.com]
Re: What's your gut feeling on gut health and AF
February 15, 2024 09:40PM
I found the paper interesting. As well, a doc I've consulted with since 2015 thinks the gut is root of many health issues. He has a 2024 book out on gut health. And a video on helping to redo your gut biome. On stool testing, he once told us that it is pretty worthless as huge variations were observed depending on where you sampled the stool and how much.

Whether fixing your gut will fix your afib, who knows? but fixing gut permeability is likely not a bad thing to do, if you can.
Joe
February 16, 2024 02:20AM
Have one of his earlier books, might get this one; but have listened to quite a few talks of Dr Grundy's.
George, any personal experience with his 4 day cabbage soup regime ?
February 16, 2024 08:45AM
Joe
Have one of his earlier books, might get this one; but have listened to quite a few talks of Dr Grundy's.

I've no experience yet, but plan to try it. One of the things Gundry says in this book is that his prior plans seem to work for 90% of his patients, but not for 10%. While I've seen a lot of benefit from following his plan for many years, I'd also say I'm in the 10% who would benefit from what he presents here. I'm attaching a file where a person in a group I'm in wrote a brief summary of chapters 2&3 in this book, as well as file with a summary of the introduction.
Attachments:
open | download - Chapters 2 & 3 – Gut Check.pdf (132.5 KB)
open | download - Gut Check introduction summary.pdf (46 KB)
February 16, 2024 10:41AM
I believe in the afib/gut connection and have found making dietary changes, including the FODMAP diet, beneficial during my afib journey.

But as to Dr. Grundy, and without taking sides, here is just one of many criticisms of his work:

"The skeptical cardiologist first encountered the blather of Dr. Steven Gundry while researching and writing a post entitled The #1 Red Flag of Quackery."

[theskepticalcardiologist.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 10:06AM by mjamesone.
February 16, 2024 11:50AM
Gut is huge in the autism world. And for myself I had all sorts of health issues including idiopathic anaphylaxis..(Anaphylaxis when they don't know why. That's just a little scary.) . until a doc correctly diagnosed me with leaky gut. I changed diet, did supplements and such. I am doing experimentation now with diet as well for a few reasons. A little graphic but my functional doc told me once.. your digestion goes from hole to hole. LOL. That's a large part of the body and a huge opportunity for healing. Heart and otherwise.
Joe
February 16, 2024 08:06PM
GeorgeN

I've no experience yet, but plan to try it. One of the things Gundry says in this book is that his prior plans seem to work for 90% of his patients, but not for 10%. While I've seen a lot of benefit from following his plan for many years, I'd also say I'm in the 10% who would benefit from what he presents here. I'm attaching a file where a person in a group I'm in wrote a brief summary of chapters 2&3 in this book, as well as file with a summary of the introduction.

thumbs upGeorge! Love the summary, might be somewhat because it confirms my bias, some of the things i do already confused smiley
Listened to a long discussion yesterday with Dr G and two others who don't quite agree with him (to put it mildly). My take is that Dr G does what works for his patient, the other two rely more on population data? Not that i expect anyone to listen to such a long video but here it is:
[www.youtube.com]
February 16, 2024 09:54PM
Joe
thumbs upGeorge! Love the summary, might be somewhat because it confirms my bias, some of the things i do already confused smiley
Listened to a long discussion yesterday with Dr G and two others who don't quite agree with him (to put it mildly). My take is that Dr G does what works for his patient, the other two rely more on population data? Not that i expect anyone to listen to such a long video but here it is:
[www.youtube.com]

As someone who has had lifelong autoimmune issues, his plan helped me a lot. I also have genetics that are prone to inflammation. From an evolutionary perspective, this is good in an acute setting, but not good chronically. As a patient, he runs a lot of inflammatory blood tests on us. Quite a few cytokines as well as many other metrics. Outside of a research setting, I'm not aware of a doc that routinely does this (one of my doc friends wanted to see the labs Gundry runs on me, after I sent them to him, he texted back, "OMG!". On Gundry's lifestyle plan, my inflammatory labs are stellar. One woman I know met him for the first time around 2010. He was still doing heart surgery and she met him in the hospital the night before he was to do a heart bypass on her. She asked if there was anything she could do to avoid the operation. He said get my book (his first book from 2008) and do what it says. She did and didn't need the bypass. She was over the moon about that outcome!
Joe
February 17, 2024 02:13AM
He sure is one of (few of) a kind thinking outside the box.
Our neighbour had a bypass surgery. On her last appointment the surgeon said to her::'See you again in 7/8 years'!
March 03, 2024 03:41PM
Theobromine is a known stimulant of the sympathetic nervous system and I've noticed chocolate does that for me. And, I suppose, eating a lot of it in one setting might bring insulin surge into play as well. I know when I have insulin surges I get ectopy.

JohnG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login