Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

angiogram

Posted by calvin 
angiogram
February 13, 2024 09:40PM
Just wanted to post up that I had a cardiac angiogram today in preparation for my up coming ablation. I've not seen anyone mention this procedure for pre ablation. Has everyone had this? I will have the results in about 3 to 5 days. The EP said it was for for planning purposes. I jus t hope it does not show any blocked arteries.
Re: angiogram
February 14, 2024 12:52PM
calvin
Just wanted to post up that I had a cardiac angiogram today in preparation for my up coming ablation. I've not seen anyone mention this procedure for pre ablation. Has everyone had this? I will have the results in about 3 to 5 days. The EP said it was for for planning purposes. I jus t hope it does not show any blocked arteries.

I don’t believe that this is part of the pre-ablation testing for most but individual EPs have their own protocols and of course patient histories vary a great deal.
February 14, 2024 02:15PM
The usual pre-ablation screening is a chest CT with contrast, but maybe your EP has reason to suspect narrowed or blocked arteries? Ever experience chest pain or shortness of breath?
February 14, 2024 02:23PM
Carey
The usual pre-ablation screening is a chest CT with contrast, but maybe your EP has reason to suspect narrowed or blocked arteries? Ever experience chest pain or shortness of breath?
The appointment said Cardiac angiogram but when I looked up CT scan this is what I had! It was a donut shaped machine which scanned my chest when they injected dye. I'll know more when I speak to the EP when the results are ready.
February 14, 2024 02:37PM
I had a CT angiogram with contrast done locally last week at Dr. Natale's request to check the LAA and Watchman implant. The Watchman is doing its job exactly as designed and, most important, no thrombus on the atrial side of the device or elsewhere in the left atrium. Dr. N implanted the Watchman two years ago today.
February 14, 2024 03:04PM
My cardiologist suspected ischemia before he referred me to an EP, so I have had numerous ultrasounds, chest x-rays, CT scans, an MRI, MIBI tests on treadmill (X2, I literally glow in the dark now..), and when they all showed I was clear of any obstructions or major calcification, the EP ordered an angiogram. This was a week prior to meeting him for the first consultation. Again, the surgeon leaned over me and said, 'Minor deposits, you're good.' He also looked up to the control room window where the other EP was looking at all the readings, and said, 'Too many ectopics.'

A long answer, but yes, angiograms are used to help situate your heart for the EP who wants to give you a one 'n done. It is also a catheter view, but in my case through my radial artery on the right wrist. You lie on a flouroscope that lights you up from below so they can see the catheter's position.
February 14, 2024 03:10PM
JayBros
I had a CT angiogram with contrast done locally last week at Dr. Natale's request to check the LAA and Watchman implant. The Watchman is doing its job exactly as designed and, most important, no thrombus on the atrial side of the device or elsewhere in the left atrium. Dr. N implanted the Watchman two years ago today.

Are you sure it wasn't a CAT (chest CT scan) with contrast that you had? That is what Dr. Natale prescribed for my next Watchman checks. Difference: they don't run a catheter in through the radial or femoral artery in a CAT like they do with an angiogram.
February 14, 2024 08:48PM
Daisy

Are you sure it wasn't a CAT (chest CT scan) with contrast that you had? That is what Dr. Natale prescribed for my next Watchman checks. Difference: they don't run a catheter in through the radial or femoral artery in a CAT like they do with an angiogram.
I did not have the catheter except to add the dye. Weird how the appointment said I was going for a cardiac angiogram and just received a CT scan. I will report back after asking the EP these questions
February 15, 2024 08:19AM
CT and MRI have the capabilities of performing angiography using venous access as compared to using a catheter and arterial access. In some exams, such as Aortography, CT has replaced the longtime use of performing access via an artery. The CT scan you had did perform the angiogram.

The images acquired by the CT angiogram provide anatomical info on the heart and are then put into a computer system that is used to assist the EP in mapping during the ablation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2024 08:28AM by JakeS.
February 16, 2024 10:05PM
JakeS
CT and MRI have the capabilities of performing angiography using venous access as compared to using a catheter and arterial access. In some exams, such as Aortography, CT has replaced the longtime use of performing access via an artery. The CT scan you had did perform the angiogram.

The images acquired by the CT angiogram provide anatomical info on the heart and are then put into a computer system that is used to assist the EP in mapping during the ablation.
This is what the EP said that the results would be put into a computer system to assist in mapping during the ablation.
Thanks for the answer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login