Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FYI

Posted by JoyWin 
FYI
February 10, 2024 05:23PM
Re: FYI
February 10, 2024 07:05PM
Thanks, Joy. I don't wanna put my information up on that site so that they'll privilege me with a view of the link.
February 10, 2024 10:54PM
It's a reputable site. I've had a sign-in there for some time and I've never been spammed. They don't ask for personal info.
February 11, 2024 08:23PM
It would be nice, if you are going to post just a link like this and especially one that requires registration, to at least post an abstract or a brief summary so folks can see if it is worth their time.
February 11, 2024 11:28PM
GeorgeN
It would be nice, if you are going to post just a link like this and especially one that requires registration, to at least post an abstract or a brief summary so folks can see if it is worth their time.

Agreed. That's what abstracts are for. Here it is:

BACKGROUND
Clinical outcomes of left atrial appendage occlusion (LAAO) combined with other cardiac procedures have not been previously examined.

OBJECTIVES
This study sought to evaluate the safety and efficacy of combining LAAO with other cardiac procedures vs isolated LAAO.

METHODS
We conducted a retrospective cohort study using the 2016 to 2020 National Inpatient Sample database to compare patients undergoing LAAO combined with another cardiac procedure vs isolated LAAO. Outcomes included risk-adjusted major adverse cardiovascular events (MACEs), in-hospital mortality, major complications, length of stay (LOS), and total costs.

RESULTS
The total cohort included 88,910 weighted encounters, of which 1,225 (1.4%) involved concomitant cardiac procedures. After risk adjustment, patients in the concomitant procedure group had similar odds of MACEs (adjusted OR: 1.82; 95% CI: 0.94-2.74); in-hospital mortality; and complications including stroke, acute kidney injury, major bleeding, blood transfusion, and vascular injury. They also had similar LOS (1 day vs 1 day; P = 0.32) and higher costs ($44,723 vs $32,364; P < 0.01) compared with isolated LAAO but shorter LOS (1 day vs 2 days; P < 0.01) and lower costs ($51,552 vs $63,170; P = 0.04) compared with LAAO with sequential procedures. In subgroup analyses, concomitant atrial fibrillation/atrial flutter ablation had higher adjusted odds of heart block (P < 0.01), and concomitant transcatheter aortic valve replacement had higher adjusted odds of stroke (P = 0.02) and vascular injury (P < 0.01).

CONCLUSIONS
In this retrospective observational study, combining LAAO with another cardiac intervention appeared to be associated with similar MACEs and LOS. However, certain complications appeared to be more frequent, and the cost was higher with combined procedures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login