Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please share Covid Treatment Strategies for those who take Flecainide and Thinners

Posted by mjamesone 
Please share Covid Treatment Strategies for those who take Flecainide and Thinners
January 23, 2024 12:46PM
Turned out to be a false alarm, but had a bit of a Covid exposure scare last week.

The question I posed to myself was how would I treat Covid should I have tested positive, which fortunately I didn't.

The medical consensus for treating the current strain is Paxlovid, Remdesivir Infusion and Molnupiravir, in that order, assuming you qualify and want to treat.

But the problem with Paxlovid is that it's definitely contraindicated with Flecainide and somewhat with Eliquis. And while I'm not on daily Flecainide or Eliquis, should I go into afib, Flecainide is my PIP and I start taking Eliquis. Alternatively, I could just lower my rate with Diltiazem, but then I'd be in afib for an indeterminate amount of time without the protection of Eliquis.

I finally decided that the Remdesivir infusion was my best choice, but wondering how the rest of you deal or plan to deal with a Covid episode if you take Paxlovid and/or thinners.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 01:47PM by mjamesone.
This topic was banned in 10/21, so people will be hesitant to respond. However since it your post relates specifically to the interactions of Covid treatments with AFIB treatments this may be somewhat allowed allowed.

Good to prepare now, but odds are you won't need all that intervention. You would probably need to use the Eloquis, and fit any other treaments around that and have options prepared for, but waiting and seeing how things develop in the event of an infection. As for the Flec, if your using it as PIP only, than the most of the Flec will wash out of your system within days.
This was an error trying to post, it got duplicated, then I erased the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 08:25PM by The Anti-Fib.
Re: Please share Covid Treatment Strategies for those who take Flecainide and Thinners
January 23, 2024 10:03PM
I have a family member who has been in the nursing home for over 2 1/2 years. I visit at least 4 times/week and the facility is almost always in "outbreak status." Hence I'm continually exposed. My protocol is to pay great attention to not having comorbidities at age 68, starting with BP & metabolism.
The Anti-Fib
As for the Flec, if your using it as PIP only, than the most of the Flec will wash out of your system within days.

First, thanks for responding. Didn't realize this was a banned topic, but hopefully it will be allowed it we stick to drug interactions only and not the other controversial stuff.

As to your response, the last time I had Covid it threw me into afib. So the concern is having to take my PIP dose of Flec while on Paxlovid and also still not sure if I would be allowed the Eliquis during that time period as well.

Jim
Re: Please share Covid Treatment Strategies for those who take Flecainide and Thinners
January 23, 2024 11:01PM
The Anti-Fib
This topic was banned in 10/21, so people will be hesitant to respond.

It was banned only on the General Health forum, not here. The post explicitly said this:

If you have a question or comment about any of those subjects that's relevant to atrial arrhythmias or cardiology in general, please direct them to the AFIBBERS forum.

Nothing has ever been banned from this forum.
January 23, 2024 11:04PM
mjamesone
Didn't realize this was a banned topic

It is not.
January 24, 2024 12:19AM
Make sure your Vitamin D level is optimal. You could consider Quercitin as a prophylactic. There are studies that support it as an antiviral. You could also take a Zyrtec/Claritin and Pepcid to prevent the cytokine storm that is what made people so ill. Budesonide as an inhaled steroid is approved as an outpatient treatment. Remdesivir is not nevessarily supported as an outpatient treatment. Keep in mind that 50% of trial subjects died that were given Remdesivir. What makes people so sick. IMHO, is the inflammation and cytokine storm, which can be mitigated by Histamine blockers (Colchicine/Claritin, Pepcid, etc) and other supportive treatments. Just my 2 cents worth.
Carey

This topic was banned in 10/21, so people will be hesitant to respond.

It was banned only on the General Health forum, not here. The post explicitly said this:

If you have a question or comment about any of those subjects that's relevant to atrial arrhythmias or cardiology in general, please direct them to the AFIBBERS forum.

Nothing has ever been banned from this forum.

Carey you deleted most all posts regarding Covid from 10/21 going back to the spring of 2020 on this forum as well as the GHF, even though they did not violate forum rules at the time they were posted, and even including sourced posts directly related to Cardiology/Arrhythmia's. I stand behind the posts I made.
January 24, 2024 04:51AM
:-)
MeganMN
Remdesivir is not nevessarily supported as an outpatient treatment. Keep in mind that 50% of trial subjects died that were given Remdesivir .

The CDC supports Remdesivir at outpatient infusion centers as a second option, should you qualify, right after Paxlovid. (See link below)

The trial you refer to sounds like hospitalized patients probably on ventilators, unvaccinated, early in the pandemic with more virulent strains, who were going to die with or without Remdesivir.

[www.cdc.gov]

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2024 10:53AM by mjamesone.
January 24, 2024 11:41AM
The Anti-Fib
Carey you deleted most all posts regarding Covid from 10/21 going back to the spring of 2020 on this forum as well as the GHF, even though they did not violate forum rules at the time they were posted, and even including sourced posts directly related to Cardiology/Arrhythmia's. I stand behind the posts I made.

I did not delete topics here. I deleted from the GENERAL HEALTH forum, NOT here. And they're not even actually deleted. I moved them to a separate forum that only admins can see that's reserved for deleted posts, and I see nothing there that came from this forum. We did this because the GH forum had become a cesspool of anti-vax, anti-science, conspiracy theories, people calling for Fauci to be imprisoned, and QAnon insanity. We had long-time members coming to us threatening to leave over it (at least one did), and even physician lurkers emailing us asking what had happened to this site. It was downright embarrassing. So the decision was made that the only way to get it back on track was to delete all the COVID and vaccine hysteria and prohibit those topics in the GENERAL HEALTH forum. The only way to ban a topic is to delete all the posts. I wasn't going to sift through hundreds of posts trying to filter out crazy from sane and then have to defend every decision. Sorry if some of your posts got caught up in that but what would you have done if you were in our shoes? This site doesn't exist to debate vaccines and evil Big Pharma and how much doctors, the FDA and the CDC suck. It exists to provide peer support to people with afib and similar arrhythmias. This site has always been open to alternative approaches, but it isn't open to anti-science rants and crazy conspiracy theories.

As I said, there are no banned topics in THIS forum and nothing was deleted here.
Carey

. The only way to ban a topic is to delete all the posts. I wasn't going to sift through hundreds of posts trying to filter out crazy from sane and then have to defend every decision. Sorry if some of your posts got caught up in that but what would you have done if you were in our shoes?

It's unfortunate, but I would have done the same thing.

Jim
Joe
January 24, 2024 07:24PM
MeganMN
Make sure your Vitamin D level is optimal. You could consider Quercitin as a prophylactic. There are studies that support it as an antiviral. You could also take a Zyrtec/Claritin and Pepcid to prevent the cytokine storm that is what made people so ill. Budesonide as an inhaled steroid is approved as an outpatient treatment. Remdesivir is not nevessarily supported as an outpatient treatment. Keep in mind that 50% of trial subjects died that were given Remdesivir. What makes people so sick. IMHO, is the inflammation and cytokine storm, which can be mitigated by Histamine blockers (Colchicine/Claritin, Pepcid, etc) and other supportive treatments. Just my 2 cents worth.

worth a lot more than 2 cents smileys with beer
Que
January 27, 2024 03:35PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login