Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colchicine-Inflammation- Arrhythmia Connection

Posted by MeganMN 
Colchicine-Inflammation- Arrhythmia Connection
January 17, 2024 10:43PM
So most of you know my journey so far with Atrial Tachycardia. The last EP study was a terrible flop and I ended up with pericarditis. I have been on Colchicine for one month now and am supposed to stop. I also started the TENS for vagal stimulation about a week ago. My Atrial Tachycardia has been markedly improved since about ten days into the course of colchicine. Oddly, I forgot the colchicine a few nights and my arrhythmia was back, strong as ever. For the last few nights, I have, as an experiment, waited to take the dose until just before going to bed. Sure enough, the tachycardia starts up and is quieted down within about 1-2 hours of taking the colchicine. This has been consistent for the last three nights. One night, I forgot to take it, and I was awake all night with SVT.

So now I find myself in an odd conundrum. I am super excited, and perhaps taking colchicine long term is just fine. But obviously, this points very strongly to an inflammatory cause of my SVT. In addition to diet, lifestyle, and perhaps the colchicine, would I be better served seeing an Immunologist/Rheumatologist? Do I even need to continue to pursue the EP/Ablation route if the Colchicine stops it? It is just so unexpected, and perhaps the only silver lining of a horribly botched and awful ablation attempt. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I have a message in to my EP and Naturopath to get their thoughts, but would appreciate yours just as much!

Megan
Joe
Re: Colchicine-Inflammation- Arrhythmia Connection
January 18, 2024 06:46PM
Maybe Boswellia could be a suitable substitute for Colchicine s an anti-inflammatory ????
January 18, 2024 07:46PM
Joe
Maybe Boswellia could be a suitable substitute for Colchicine s an anti-inflammatory ????

Why? The plant source of colchicine is the autumn crocus and it's been known as an effective anti-inflammatory for over 3000 years. Why substitute an herbal supplement with unknown efficacy, dosing and purity for an herbal drug with all those factors known?
Joe
January 18, 2024 08:26PM
Fair point Carey. Thought Megan wanted to change to an alternative. I did '???' hinting to ask her EP and Naturopath.
January 18, 2024 09:55PM
I asked my EP about continuing the Colchicine and he wants me to capture my rhythm with a Kardia or some other device before he agrees to continue it. Why can't doctors believe those of us that have been dealing with these rhythms for years? So now I have to spend money to capture a known rhythm to send to him to confirm what I have already researched and figured out on my own. Aaarrrgh.. He is trying to say that the Pericarditis might have caused the arrhythmia but it is the same rhythm both before and after failed ablation.....feeling frustrated.
January 24, 2024 11:16PM
Joe

Thanks, Joe, my Naturopath recommended this one as.well. I was okay with the Colchicine, but my EP wants me to prove that the Colchicine is helping by buying and recording my rhythms both off and on it. So I might as well add the natural treatments and see if it helps. She recommended: BCQ by Vital Nutrients (boswellia, bromelain (from pineapple), curcumin (turmeric) and quercetin).
Joe
January 30, 2024 04:50PM
Got to try things as long as there is no harm in doing it. Good Luck Megan!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login