Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metoprolol witdrawal update.

Posted by Rucan 
Metoprolol witdrawal update.
January 15, 2024 10:11AM
Metoprolol witdrawal update. Today I am at day 15 since going cold turkey. I thought it would have been all gone by now. I don't know why my cardiologist would have told me to take it because I was doing so well and the best I had felt in years. My heart rate was in a good place even when working out. After being on Metoprolol for a short period near the end of December, I came off of it cold turkey. My cardiologist said that I wouldn't have side effects while I was on it, maybe a little tired. My side effects while I was on it were awful and abrubtly stopped using it. Cardiologist said it would not be a problem because I was not on it that long. The withdrawal the first week was horrific with so many withdrawal symptoms like shortness of breath, tiredness, extreme shakiness, high blood pressure, and bad anxiety out of nowhere just to mention some. Second week was better but still lingering effects. Still feel tired and some axiety associated with it. My biggest concern right now is that before I ever took metoprolol and quitting it, my resting heart rate was 77-85 BPM and walking or doing things around the house was 87-97 BPM. Now at day 15 after quitting cold turkey my resting heart rate is 95 to 105 BPM, and walking around the house or doing things at the house just like mopping the kitchen floor my heart rate goes to 110-125 BPM instead of the usual 85-95 BPM. I was great before I ever took and quit metoprolol. Have any of you gone through this? If so did your heart go back to normal?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 10:16AM by Rucan.
Re: Metoprolol witdrawal update.
January 15, 2024 11:03AM
I have never heard of a reaction like that to metoprolol or any other beta blocker.
January 15, 2024 11:21AM
Carey
I have never heard of a reaction like that to metoprolol or any other beta blocker.
My Doctor told me I am having one of the worst reactions he has seen to it. He says many people have bad reactions, mine is really bad. I also know some people can not be on beta blockers. If you look at the forum here, you can read some of the horrible side effects of coming off metoprolol and other beta blockers for some people.

[patient.info]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 11:24AM by Rucan.
January 15, 2024 12:07PM
Yeah, I'm aware that people can experience withdrawal symptoms, but like your doctor said, that usually only happens to people who've been on them a long time. In any case, yours are the worst I've heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2024 09:47AM by Carey.
January 15, 2024 11:13PM
I struggled whenever I stopped beta blockers. Maybe not for quite as long, but definitely similar side effects. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and look into other options, if you have an Osteopathic Physician that can do some manipulation to help tone down your sympathetic nervous system,.that might be beneficial. You might even consider talking with a natural doctor/ naturopath to see if there is anything you can supplement with to help dampen your response. I often get inappropriate sinus tachycardia after stopping beta blockers. That may be what you are experiencing. You end up getting a hyperactive sympathetic nervous system response.
January 16, 2024 04:08AM
Rucan

My Doctor told me I am having one of the worst reactions he has seen to it. He says many people have bad reactions, mine is really bad. I also know some people can not be on beta blockers. If you look at the forum here, you can read some of the horrible side effects of coming off metoprolol and other beta blockers for some people.

[patient.info]

I had all of the above plus fainting frequently until month six when I couldn’t bear it anymore and resumed Tenormin (Atenolol). I switched to Cardizem later in and after my av node ablation, I no longer needed it but I asked to resume after my BP skyrocketed even after doubling lisinopril.

My BP now is really high due to environmental issues. I take a third PIP now because my headaches are so unbearable I feel numbness on my right side of my face after accidentally forgetting to take my morning dose on Thursday. I had hoped my heart would reset by now but I woke up with a headache and 145/80..which isn’t really high but I was used to have my BP regulated at 120s before I skipped a dose. The PIP has helped with the migraine but I still stumble and get dizzy. My bruising (eliquis) looks pretty bad when I bump into walls.

So I sympathize with you and also, like you, am sensitive.
January 16, 2024 10:03PM
susan.d

[patient.info]

I had all of the above plus fainting frequently until month six when I couldn’t bear it anymore and resumed Tenormin (Atenolol). I switched to Cardizem later in and after my av node ablation, I no longer needed it but I asked to resume after my BP skyrocketed even after doubling lisinopril.

My BP now is really high due to environmental issues. I take a third PIP now because my headaches are so unbearable I feel numbness on my right side of my face after accidentally forgetting to take my morning dose on Thursday. I had hoped my heart would reset by now but I woke up with a headache and 145/80..which isn’t really high but I was used to have my BP regulated at 120s before I skipped a dose. The PIP has helped with the migraine but I still stumble and get dizzy. My bruising (eliquis) looks pretty bad when I bump into walls.

So I sympathize with you and also, like you, am sensitive.

I am at day 17 since my last dose of abruptly stopping Metoprolol. Most of my bad symptoms are gone but my resting heart rate has been rising over the last few days. I went back to work for the first time today since having the withdrawal symptoms and my heart rate was 110-135 bpm resting. It wasn't even that after the first few days after stopping the metoprolol. The high heart rate is the only symptom that has become worse and leaving me a little dizzy and shaky. I dread if I am told I have to go on one of these kind of medications again. My life has been hell for 3 weeks with no end insight. I'm off work again after today and unpaid. I am a truck driver who runs 73.000 pounds a day and it is just not safe for me getting dizzy when I am driving with my heart rate at 130 bpm. Before being on metoprolol and coming off, My heart rate driving at work was always 83-92bpm and perfectly feeling fine . This drug and the withdrawal from it has screwed me up so bad and I can't even work now.
January 17, 2024 01:35PM
A suggestion. I realized sometimes my hr was due to anxiety (example in the movie “Tin Cup” a golfer called it the yips or the shanks-“your brain gets in the way “). It was my anticipation that my HR would go up, so it did.

[youtu.be]

I started biofeedback. It helped.
January 17, 2024 03:27PM
susan.d
A suggestion. I realized sometimes my hr was due to anxiety (example in the movie “Tin Cup” a golfer called it the yips or the shanks-“your brain gets in the way “). It was my anticipation that my HR would go up, so it did.

[youtu.be]

I started biofeedback. It helped.

I really wish that was right in my case. I don't get the anticipation that my heart will go up. I just feel it when it actually happens. My new high heart rate is not sometimes. It is all the time now. Most of the withdrawal symptoms have been gone since last week including the anxiety that comes with the first few days. Now it's just the heart rate. I don't feel anxiety or anything that could drive my heart rate up. It was actually lower at the start of the withdrawals then now. My pharmacist told me it is my adrenergic rececptors are over sensitized since coming off Metoprolol especially I did not wean off. Just walking from the kitchen to the living room can shoot my heart rate up to130BPM. cardiologist tomorrow hopefully he can help without more drugs.
January 17, 2024 06:26PM
Have you ever been in Multaq? It lowers one hr as well as being arrhythmic.
January 17, 2024 06:42PM
susan.d
Have you ever been in Multaq? It lowers one hr as well as being arrhythmic.
No I have not. They still have not been able to determine what arrythmia I have. They thought wpw but the electrophysiology study showed I did not have that. I was not on any medication at all. The metoprolol was the idea of one of my cardiologist which was a big mistake. My heart rate was normally 85 at rest and after being on metoprolol and then having to get off and now on day 17 since last dose, my heart rate it is higher and higher heart rate reaching 135 resting again today. Heart rate was actually lower first 2 weeks being off metoprolol then now. But before I took metoprolol and got off my heart rate was very good always under 85 BPM. I am dreading going on medication now to treat a problem that was brought on by a drug that I now have to recover from.
January 17, 2024 10:33PM
How long of a time period have you worn a monitor? It seems you would need at least a 7-14 day monitor. I don't quite understand how they weren't sure what the arrhythmia was.
January 17, 2024 11:00PM
MeganMN
How long of a time period have you worn a monitor? It seems you would need at least a 7-14 day monitor. I don't quite understand how they weren't sure what the arrhythmia was.
I wore a monitor for 5 days only which showed nothing. My family doctor sent me for a second opinion and the second cardiologist looked at the ekg from the first cardiologist and wrongfully diagnosed me with wpw ( extra electrical auxillary pathway). That was confirmed to be a wrong diagnoses on my electrophysiology test.
January 17, 2024 11:09PM
Ugh, that is super frustrating. Can you get a longer monitor? It took me over a year to get properly diagnosed with Atrial Tachycardia (which often has rates in the 130s). I feel like they should try a longer monitor, maybe at least 14 days. Is that an option? What was the reason you had a monitor to begin with? What symptoms? Any pattern?

Okay, I just read tour initial post about your symptoms. Looks like you wore a 14 day monitor? When do you hear the results from that? Have you had the episodes since wearing it? I was also told just regular tachycardia until they finally caught the atrial tachycardia/SVT on monitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 11:17PM by MeganMN.
January 18, 2024 12:03AM
MeganMN
Ugh, that is super frustrating. Can you get a longer monitor? It took me over a year to get properly diagnosed with Atrial Tachycardia (which often has rates in the 130s). I feel like they should try a longer monitor, maybe at least 14 days. Is that an option? What was the reason you had a monitor to begin with? What symptoms? Any pattern?

Okay, I just read tour initial post about your symptoms. Looks like you wore a 14 day monitor? When do you hear the results from that? Have you had the episodes since wearing it? I was also told just regular tachycardia until they finally caught the atrial tachycardia/SVT on monitor.

Currently on my 14 day monitor and yes multiple times I pressed the button to record events. Today heart rate spikes to 158 BPM and heart rate all day well above 100 BPM. This is do though to the beta blocker withdrawal rebound syndrome as my beta receptors are ver sensitive right now after stopping metoprolol. Just got to hang on until tomorrow to hopefully have cardiologist help me.
January 18, 2024 12:05AM
Good luck! Keep us posted. Hoping they find a definitive answer.
January 18, 2024 10:45AM
MeganMN
Good luck! Keep us posted. Hoping they find a definitive answer.

Thank you.
January 19, 2024 01:41AM
I had a 30 day holter once. Insurance paid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login