Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

persistent AF question

Posted by anneh 
persistent AF question
January 07, 2024 07:11PM
I get AF every couple months or so and usually no more than 8hrs. Started it in 2011 when stupid dr overdosed my thyroid meds. Just curious if I should expect to end up in persistent AF eventually? Mainly asking because I am scheduled for a surgical procedure this month but would prefer to do it early summer but a relative told me I should get it done now while not always in AF which I understand but not expecting it to happen sad smiley I guess if persistent it would be dangerous to stop the Eliquis so couldn't have surgery. Otherwise will be just stopping it for a few days while hopefully not in AF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2024 07:18PM by anneh.
Re: persistent AF question
January 07, 2024 07:45PM
anneh
Just curious if I should expect to end up in persistent AF eventually?

Hard to predict. Everybody is different. 19.5 years ago, I started out with 6-9 hours every 10-14 days for 2 months (ish), then I had an episode that lasted 2.5 months. I converted that with a loading dose of flecainide and implemented a plan that I created and the EP approved that I've basically followed since. My current afib burden is 0.05% or less. In the last year, I've had 5 episodes and I consider 4 of them "provoked." Meaning the afib followed known triggers that I could have avoided if I was being careful (I generally avoid these triggers, but sometimes push my limits).

If you look at the first part of my journey, you could say that my situation changed drastically for the worse, in short order. But then looking at my situation subsequently, I'm doing much better now than when my afib was paroxysmal in the beginning and it has been a long time.

In 2021, I had an association between increased afib episodes and C19 vaccines, both mRNA and non-mRNA. Afib increased to 15 episodes with 4 shots. I started taking a very low dose of flecainide (25 mg/day), for about a year and a half, and for me it stopped the episodes. l tried several times to stop the flec, but afib would occur after several days. I finally hypothesized that if I was far enough away from the vaccines in time, I could drop the flec. That has proven to be true. I stopped the flec about 8 months ago after not having a booster for 7 months. Whether this would apply to anyone else, I have no way of knowing.
January 07, 2024 09:37PM
Anneh:

I first went into AF in 1996, I was paraoxymal, like you, the first years I would only go into AF a few times a year. I always went back in NSR without any drugs that went on until I started getting AF more often, so the doctor put me on Propapanone that was good until abut 3 years ago, like you, my doctor felt OK with my thyroid, my TSH was very, very low and I went into AF and didn't come out of it. So now I am in permanent AF. I never had an ablation, you and I have thyroid problems, too much or not enough can put us into AF, George has not had to deal with his Thyroid.
It is a hard decision to make, to ablate or not, a lot of people have to have more than one ablation. But, since you have thyroid problems and AF, you will probably always have AF problems.

Liz
January 08, 2024 03:11AM
My GP went to Harvard and got another degree in nutrition at ucla. I had borderline high thyroid test results and he put me on his neck broth.

Boil up a pot of water and add poultry necks-either chicken or Turkey. Add a teaspoon of white vinegar and boil for a few hours. An instant pot will work.

Refrigerate and when cold strain out the fat and add seasoning and veggies or whatever you add to broth.

Since having his neck broth soup my thyroid tests are normal.

My mom who had afib and also thyroid issues, never drank the broth and had to take thyroid drugs that increased her afib episodes.

Try it for a month (one cup or two a day) and get tested again and see if it helps.
The broth freezes well. I bought a restaurant size soup pot and use Souper cubes to freeze and stack.
January 08, 2024 11:54PM
Susan:

I had Graves Disease a number of years ago and had my Thyroid nuked (didn' t know any better in those days). I still have some thyroid tissue left and I have to take a Thyroid pill. I do make a lot of soups making my broth from either soup bones or chicken, glad it worked for you, never heard that before.

Liz
January 09, 2024 06:33AM
Could there be some residual thyroid left from the poultry necks??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login