Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Excellent Pill Cutter

Posted by LarryG 
Excellent Pill Cutter
December 31, 2023 01:13AM
Please share your suggestions for the above.

Have had to return two that didn’t work well.

Thank you.

/LarryG
Re: Excellent Pill Cutter
December 31, 2023 09:52AM
I’m a fan of this one. It’s perfect for my needs. Easy to quarter a tablet as well. All metal base with a plastic cover. Small to travel.

[www.amazon.com]
December 31, 2023 09:05PM
Thanks, Susan. Checked it out... looks like a quality product. Will be ordering it.

/LarryG
December 31, 2023 09:21PM
I wish I had asked here. I will have to keep Susan's on file. I like this one "ok". But my hubs said with all the engineering that went into it, they could have figured out a way to stabilize the top so it doesn't toggle when you push on it. I have a pill that is not usually split but doc has me splitting it. So even is important. It gets it most of the time... in case you wanted to take a look.. The reviews are very good.

[www.amazon.com]
December 31, 2023 09:24PM
I just l looked at Susan's. The reason I like mine is it stabilizes the pill before you cut it. I am not sure Susan's choice does. But look at videos of both. Ps I think they might be from the same company...
December 31, 2023 11:33PM
I use the cheap colored plastic guillotine style with the twin ramps for holding even small pills. I was cutting my zopiclone tablets into quarters because that little worked to give me another hour of bliss in bed....and I don't mean nookie. Not at 72. drinking smiley
December 31, 2023 11:44PM
bettylou4488
Ps I think they might be from the same company...

Ha ha! Yeah, totally. Look at the photos where they have the pills laid out in front of the cutter. Both photos use all the same pills. They're arranged differently but definitely the same collection of pills.
January 01, 2024 03:35AM
When I bought my first cutter, it was from a small new company and was made in the states. The blade is extremely sharp. I liked it so much I bought a second…thinking the blade will get duller in time. It didn’t happen. Still sharp.

Then this fall I visited the states and couldn’t find the cutters in my suitcase so I bought another two..thinking I lost them. I found all 4 in my suitcase when returning. Bummer. I’ll never used them all because the blade doesn’t dull like the plastic and razor blade cheap ones. I may gift them.

This cutter is heavy. It’s not a piece of junk and I can quarter pills or cut them in thirds..practical at the times when I was weaning off drugs for ablations.

Shame it’s made in China now. However they now stick a huge sticker stating designed in the USA and made in China. I can’t tell the difference in function. My last two made in China I noticed the same quantity but there is a darker blue plastic cover. I like using two-I cut my 5mg eliquis in half and use the blue slider cover to store them. I use the second for another tablet I need to cut in half.

You can buy whatever you want but I like mine. I went through so many cheap plastic and razor blade cutters and they never had cut the tablets exactly how I liked them cut.

You get what you pay for. It’s extremely expensive but it will last longer. For me a lifetime. It comes with a nice cardboard case so I can throw it in my purse on the go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2024 03:07PM by susan.d.
January 01, 2024 07:32AM
Carey

Ha ha! Yeah, totally. Look at the photos where they have the pills laid out in front of the cutter. Both photos use all the same pills. They're arranged differently but definitely the same collection of pills.

The videos from both products say that they are made by the same company.
January 01, 2024 03:05PM
GeorgeN

The videos from both products say that they are made by the same company.

Yes. Equadose Version 2 is the plastic one. It’s from Equadose . Still $17.99 is expensive so why not pay a little more to get one that never dulls and you can cut into any proportion you want?
January 01, 2024 03:52PM
susan.d
Still $17.99 is expensive so why not pay a little more to get one that never dulls and you can cut into any proportion you want?

I just looked at both of them and it seems like the advantage of the cheaper one is that is will center the pill better. I'd be happy to pay more for the metal one if it had that feature.
January 01, 2024 04:41PM
Daisy

Still $17.99 is expensive so why not pay a little more to get one that never dulls and you can cut into any proportion you want?

I just looked at both of them and it seems like the advantage of the cheaper one is that is will center the pill better. I'd be happy to pay more for the metal one if it had that feature.

yes.. that is why I like mine and why I think the cheaper one may be better. Susan if you want to do a video maybe we can see how the other one works LOL!
January 01, 2024 04:51PM
I've never used either of these splitters but I have a splitter than uses a similar mechanism for centering the pill as the cheaper one here, and I threw that splitter away. It looks like it should center the pill but in practice it doesn't, especially not with non-round pills.
January 01, 2024 05:01PM
Carey
I've never used either of these splitters but I have a splitter than uses a similar mechanism for centering the pill as the cheaper one here, and I threw that splitter away. It looks like it should center the pill but in practice it doesn't, especially not with non-round pills.

You are right Carey. Silly to debate a splitter but with non centered tablets like eliquis it’s a challenge. I have an option with the metal splitter to turn the tablet vertical (that’s how I cut into quarters ) or horizontal and it will cut any size I want. An example (I no longer take flecainide) but if one is weaning, you can slice the pill anyway you want. You position the tablet, close the lid just a little to see where it will slice, and then move the tablet around to get the exact cut.

The metal one acts like a vise and secures the tablet do it doesn’t move.
I’ll take some photos of eliquis to show how one can manually adjust the cut. :-)
January 01, 2024 05:23PM
Yes, Eliquis is the main one I need to cut.
January 01, 2024 05:31PM
Daisy- I took some photos for you.

The eliquis 5mg was the easiest. Line up the “5” in the center to the cutter and cut. I showed lining it up and the finished cut. I store the second pill in the cutter’s compartment.

The round yellow pill was tricky because it happened to be a soft pill. I lined up and cut it in half. I then cut each half into quarters. I then got a quarter pill and sliced that in half to make an 1/8th.

[ibb.co]

It’s the middle of the night. The cuts are not perfect but I gave quick and dirty photos so you can see with even the quarter pill, I lined it up both vertically and horizontally. Its a small pill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2024 05:38PM by susan.d.
January 01, 2024 07:19PM
Thanks, good pictures! That helps to see how it works.
January 01, 2024 10:43PM
I'll see if I can do a video tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login