Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diltiazem

Posted by Nana 
Diltiazem
December 25, 2023 02:54PM
Help please, do the head feeling go away? The dizzy, head weirdness? I had the same problem with the beta blockers, unbelievable, please tell me your body gets used to it, thank you I just started it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2023 02:55PM by Nana.
Re: Diltiazem
December 25, 2023 04:29PM
I am on both diltiazem and metoprolol. I call the feeling I get from them "Balloon Head". Not really pleasant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2023 04:30PM by FibberMcGee.
December 25, 2023 04:59PM
Does it get better? Thanks
December 25, 2023 05:31PM
Mine didn't get better. I stopped taking it.
December 25, 2023 05:41PM
Did you try anything else and did you get the same feeling? Did you mean off of it? I've only been off mine for 2 days, already thinking of not taking it. Did the metropolol do it also? It did with me, that and atenolol, quit both, afib got worse due to stress, I need something, but not sure what to do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2023 05:50PM by Nana.
December 25, 2023 06:44PM
It took about 7–10 days to adjust to the Diltiazem, I never got over the effects of Metoprolol. I would say maybe be patient and talk to your doctor. Is your HR and BP reasonable?
December 25, 2023 06:46PM
Did you have the dizziness, weird head feeling? And it went away? Thanks, I'm ready yo stop already, can't stand the head feeling, what did you experience? My HR isn't any lower than when I'm in nsr, blood pressure ok

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2023 06:53PM by Nana.
December 25, 2023 06:49PM
Nana
Did you try anything else and did you get the same feeling? Did you mean off of it? I've only been off mine for 2 days, already thinking of not taking it. Did the metropolol do it also? It did with me, that and atenolol, quit both, afib got worse due to stress, I need something, but not sure what to do

The "weird" feeling on Diltiazem went away with time. I also think switching from the once-a-day slow release capsules to the fast acting tabs helped. I have tried a couple of beta blockers like Metoprolol, but didn't like them at all. Diltiazem any day over those.

The bigger picture is if they're helpful at all. When in fast afib, Diltiazem and beta blockers are great at reducing your rate, so you can be more comfortable and safe, prior to converting back to normal rhythm. But they don't necessarily convert you, or keep you out of afib, as they are not very strong antiarrhythmics.

So if you're still in afib, you may need a stronger antiarrhythmic like Flecainide, or an ablation. Something to discuss with your ep.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2023 07:09PM by mjamesone.
December 25, 2023 06:52PM
Thank you, this is very hard for me, I need something, but can't handle the side effects
December 25, 2023 07:01PM
Was going to have an ablation, but I have anxiety and it was too high at the time to do. I was coming off atenolol and that causes anxiety. Now I have anxiety due to death in the family and stresses about my husband. I can't take anti anxiety pills, had a very bad experience with valium. Can't do benzos. Did you have a problem with flecinide? Any head stuff?
December 25, 2023 09:19PM
What dose are you at? maybe try a lower dose?
December 26, 2023 12:24AM
Yes, by all means try a half-dose for a couple of days to stop that prickly spongy feeling. I think it's dangerous, and one should not drive when feeling it.
December 26, 2023 06:06PM
FibberMcGee
I am on both diltiazem and metoprolol. I call the feeling I get from them "Balloon Head". Not really pleasant.

Would you say it is the combination of both or one or the other. I have recently been put on both and sometimes I wonder if they are working at all and if they contribute to not feeling normal.
December 27, 2023 05:38PM
I take one 1/3 dose when my heart rate has gone up to over 120 while in afib and it knocks it down to 80ish quickly. I am 71 and around 134 pounds if that helps. Is two rate control drugs typical? If so, maybe take them 12 hours apart? I take metropolol at night and actually it helps me fall asleep. I also have had great luck with Multaq (knock on wood) which is very mild and I am apparently a lucky fit as it has kept me in sinus for 18 months.

Good luck and please be careful with that dizziness, etc.
December 28, 2023 03:14AM
Both diltiazem and metoprolol lowers your heart rate. Multaq also does. Do you have a pacemaker to allow taking three drugs?
December 29, 2023 08:48PM
Both lower blood pressure. I cannot take a beta blocker or diltiazem. They also lower heart rate as susan d said.

Maybe buy a blood pressure cuff and see if that is the problem-?
December 31, 2023 07:01AM
PM Sent
January 04, 2024 09:08AM
Have you explored Rythmol? also known as Propafenone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login