Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Antiarrythmics

Posted by Nana 
Antiarrythmics
December 24, 2023 05:40PM
Do antiarrythmics help to keep afib from starting? Just got put on cardizm at hospital, hasn't stopped the afib, but wondering if it will eventually and then keep me from going into afib. Does it just help to control the symptoms? Thanks
Re: Antiarrythmics
December 24, 2023 08:34PM
Nana
Do antiarrhythmics help to keep afib from starting? Just got put on cardizm at hospital, hasn't stopped the afib, but wondering if it will eventually and then keep me from going into afib. Does it just help to control the symptoms? Thanks

The point of antiarrhythmics taken chronically is to keep you in NSR. The point of antiarrhythmics taken acutely is to convert you to NSR. If you are in afib chronically and taking antiarrhythmics and they don't convert you, then taking them is pointless.

Antiarrhythmics are not always efficacious in either of their objectives (keeping you in NSR and converting you to NSR). If you are on a med and it isn't accomplishing the objectives (after a reasonable time), then it is time to talk to the doc who prescribed it about switching meds or using another approach.
January 05, 2024 03:50AM
I have been taking Flecainide for just over a year. I really don't think it works for me. Seem to have the same pattern as before I started using it. Taking 50mg twice per day. Then taking 100mg when in Afib.
Gives me weird or strange dreams if I take it before bed. Sometimes it increases my heart rate as well. Going to stop it and try as pill in pocket. Just not sure about the dose for this as next cardiologist visit is in May. I should get an ablation but a bit concerned.
January 05, 2024 02:44PM
Cardizem is a brand name for diltiazem, which isn't an antiarrhythmic. Diltiazem slows your heart rate and lowers your BP but it doesn't directly prevent arrhythmias. It's commonly used to treat afib because of the rate lowering properties. This may help people convert back to normal rhythm and for some people it may help them avoid an afib episode, but strictly speaking it is not an antiarrhythmic and won't prevent afib.
January 07, 2024 11:16AM
It’s my lifeline. Everyone is different but it gives me some PVCs relief for a bit. It was my go to ER chemical conversion. They would push 15-20mg into my vein slowly during a 8 minute period. RN and I would look at the clock and at 8 minutes-give or take a bit, My hr would drop back to 60 and I would get a high five and go home. It was successful many times until it lost its efficiency.

Technically I don’t need it now but it helps with my PVCs and tachycardia. I take two 120mg CD time release and as a PIP of a fast acting. I take either half a 60mg fast acting or a full pill. My limit is 300mg within a 24 hr period. Don’t try it on your own unless you have a pacemaker AND your EP’s blessings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login