Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paroxsmal afib

Posted by Nana 
Paroxsmal afib
December 20, 2023 10:01AM
Wondering how long your afib has lasted, mine usually stops in about 12 hours, but I'm up to 60 hours this time, have almost gone to the hospital. Going if it doesn't stop soon. I had a shock recently of my dad passing somewhat unexpectedly, ramped everything up. I was having afib about once a week, now I've had it 3 times this last week, this time the longest, my anxiety has been ramped up as well. My husband going in for surgery soon, very stressed about it. Do you think this is all why it's going nuts? I'm not on any meds for afib, been trying to control it with natural means, but they're not working, trying to make it through another week, I have an appt with a new cardiologist to discuss putting me on a med, already tried beta blockers, couldn't handle the side effects, they didn't really help me anyway, thanks
Re: Paroxsmal afib
December 20, 2023 10:40AM
Very sorry about your Dad and the stress of your husband’s upcoming surgery. And yes, this could definitely affect your Afib. Have you considered asking your doctor for a short term medication to help with stress until you get through this critical period? Also since you’re going to be seeing a new cardiologist (is it an EP, a doc who specializes in heart rhythm?) why not ask to try a low dose of an antiarrythmic? Since you are having so many episodes, taking one every day, at least until you break this cycle, would be the way to go.Since Afib begets Afib, it is good to get out of the pattern you are in and medication is usually the quickest way. You will not want to be in and out of Afib around the time of your husband’s surgery.
December 20, 2023 12:57PM
It looks like I'm going to have to go to the hospital before I see my new doctor next week. So asking about an antiarrythmics is one of the options, however, I'm very sensitive to meds. I can't take anything for anxiety as I went through withdrawals off valium a few years ago and can't take any of those drugs. The only other thing that might work is clonidine, which is used off label for both anxiety and afib. I will mention it to the doctor. I would rather be seeing an EP, but I have to start put with the cardiologist first and then be referred. Thank you for your thoughts about my situation, I also injured my back 5 months ago and am still dealing with that as well. I'm being slammed, but right now, the afib takes priority. I have to calm that down so I can deal with the rest of it, thank you
December 20, 2023 01:05PM
Right after I wrote this message, the afib stopped. One of my problems is, it only stays gone for just so long, a day, maybe 2, then when I lay down to go to sleep, it starts again, if only I could get it to stay gone until I can see the doctor next week. I need divine intervention right now so I can discuss the meds situation with the new doctor, instead of just any doc at the hospital. Again, thank you
December 20, 2023 07:50PM
Nana, have you identified any triggers besides stress, like the food you eat? I am very sensitive to some foods myself, especially sugars and carbs, even sugar alcohols such as the sweeteners in diabetic candy (I am not diabetic).
December 21, 2023 08:36PM
I had a naturopath do a DNA test on my foods, found many I was intolerant to so I avoid those, not sure if I could be missing something in my diet that could make a difference, it doesn't seem to help, but none have stood out as a problem. Having a hard time finding any triggers other than stress, 1 is cold food, that has triggered it, wish I could figure it out, thanks
December 22, 2023 11:24AM
Cold food and drinks stimulate the vagus nerve and if your Afib is vagally triggered, which is quite common, they can be a problem. Same with cold for showers, dipping your face in cold water etc.
rel
January 16, 2024 10:32PM
If you aren’t in heart failure, ask your EP about Flecainide. As Daisy mentioned, afib begets afib. Progression to persistent (or permanent) afib will only limit your options.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login