Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Antiarrythmics

Posted by Nana 
Antiarrythmics
December 18, 2023 10:58AM
I would like to know what antiarrythmics most of you are on and how well they work and the tolerance you have on them. Beta blockers didn't work for me, seeing a new doctor soon and may have to go on one, I'm very sensitive to medications, thank you
Re: Antiarrythmics
December 18, 2023 12:08PM
Aahhh, Nana, this is my plight as well. I have Atrial Tachycardia, not Afib, but the plight is the same. I had tried Metoprolol and am on it now, and it is doing nothing to stop the arrhythmia, so he is contemplating Sotolol next. I tried Cardizem and that had the fewest side effects, although still unpleasant. Flecainide was a disaster, Norpace a disaster, and Rhythmol was fairly unpleasant as well. I am super sensitive to the CNS effects of meds (headaches, dizziness, mood changes, fatigue). Please keep us posted. I wish I had better recommendations.
December 18, 2023 12:42PM
Flecainide was/is like a miracle drug for myself and many. Almost completely eliminated my afib episodes, aflutter and ectopics. Flecainide requires a structurally sound heart, so at most centers, including mine, some sort of testing prior such as a recent echo and exercise stress test are required. I was also followed up with an ekg one week after starting and after any dose increase, or unexpected symptoms. Depending on the frequency of your episodes, Flecainide can be taken either daily and/or as needed, which is called PIP (Pill in Pocket). My daily starting dose was 50mg twice a day (bid) but many report starting at 100 bid. I also found significant benefit at doses as low as 25mg bid. Personally, I think patients should be given the opportunity to see if lower doses work. Because of rare occurrences of 1:1 Flutter, most (but not all) are advised to only take Flecainide with a nodal blocking agent such as a beta blocker or Diltiazem.

Jim
December 18, 2023 01:51PM
If your system isn't happy with beta blockers, propafenone has basically the same action as flecainide, but has some rate control properties built in, so no need for a separate med.
December 18, 2023 01:54PM
GeorgeN
If your system isn't happy with beta blockers, propafenone has basically the same action as flecainide, but has some rate control properties built in, so no need for a separate med.

You don't need to take a beta blocker with Flecainide. Many of us take Diltiazem. Serves the same nodal blocking function but with a much better side effect profile for many, including myself.

Jim
December 18, 2023 11:56PM
I’ve been on Propafenone for approximately a year now and it has worked wonders for me.
December 19, 2023 02:57PM
Thank you everyone
December 20, 2023 07:54PM
I use diltiazem 120mg long acting once a day. Doses larger than that make me feel lousy.
December 21, 2023 08:32PM
Thank you, I'm going to suggest clonidine to the doctor, it's used off label for afib and anxiety, might just be my problem solver, thanks for the info
December 22, 2023 11:34AM
Nana
Thank you, I'm going to suggest clonidine to the doctor, it's used off label for afib and anxiety, might just be my problem solver, thanks for the info

Clonidine can be a difficult drug to tolerate for some. I tried it for problems with my autonomic nervous system and it turned me into a zombie! Actually, since it increases the parasympathetic aspect of the nervous system and you mentioned in another post that cold food is a trigger for you, it might not work for you as both stimulate the vagus nerve which is an important part of the parasympathetic nervous system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login