Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heart/Afib safe medicine for constipation

Posted by Yuxi 
Heart/Afib safe medicine for constipation
December 10, 2023 01:58AM
Please recommend heart//afib safe meds for constipation, traveling in Europe now. Thanks.
Re: Heart/Afib safe medicine for constipation
December 10, 2023 03:44AM
I have used Restoralax once or twice, literally, and not recently. However, in 2022 I used it a couple of times to good effect and didn't associate it with any AF.
December 10, 2023 06:22AM
Vitamin C [www.livestrong.com]
Magnesium as citrate oxide or sulfate (milk of magnesia which may be sold as powder in Europe), epsom salt (in sufficient quantity most magnesium forms will work)
December 10, 2023 12:52PM
Thank you for your replies!
December 10, 2023 01:52PM
There's always Milk of Magnesia. It's just magnesium hydroxide, which is particularly good at inducing bowel movements. And since it's magnesium, hard to get more afib safe than that.
December 10, 2023 04:34PM
Polyethylene glycol 3350 works for me.
December 12, 2023 03:53PM
If your currently taking a magnesium supplement, I would first switch to Mag Citrate and see if that helps. A side effect of mag citrate is soft movements, which is why some stay away from it, but why you may benefit.

In addition, you might start with Miralax as it's the gentlest of the osmostics and can be taken on a fairly regular basis. Just take it daily and give it at least 4-5 days to work although it might work within a day. Milk of Magnesia would be the next step up, but you don't want to get addicted to it. Then Dulcolax. You might also carry some Fleet Mineral suppositories, just in case.

Also, the basics such as making sure your well hydrated and move around enough. As to fiber, it can be a two edge sword with constipation and too much can often make things worse. I find the fiber from eating cooked vegetables the best.

Jim
December 14, 2023 07:12AM
thanks for your advice! I will know to prepare better next time I travel. I ended up getting some Dulcolax at a pharmacy in Seville and it worked for me and did no harm to my heart.

I've always had bowl movement delay when traveling, but this time is different. Not only there was a delay but also extremely hard despite of eating plenty of vegetables and fruits and yogurt. The only difference I had done to my body this time is I started taking Dr. Berg's electrolytes powder the day before I left home thinking it will calm my heart. Perhaps one of these ingredients was responsible for my suffering eye rolling smiley, not sure which one though. Now I am afraid to take it. The expensive big jar will be wasted.

Calcium (from calcium lactate) 75mg, Magnesium (from magnesium citrate) 120mg, Chloride (from pink Himalayan salt) 60mg, Sodium (from pink Himalayan salt) 40mg, Potassium (from potassium citrate) 1000mg, Trace mineral complex 100mg, Citric acid anhydrous (non-GMO form), lemonade and raspberry flavors, malic acid, organic stevia Reb A 98%
December 14, 2023 03:59PM
Me, I can't add any electrolytes to my diet. Magnesium in any form triggers me. Yogurt will constipate and the calcium will trigger me. I gastro enterologist says I have IBS-C and there's not much I can do besides live with it. Bummer. Haha I just made a funny. But seriously poly works for me.
December 16, 2023 01:48PM
I also have "IBS-C", probably from Covid. However, IBS is a bit of a trash can diagnosis, meaning it can be caused by all kinds of garbage smiling smiley I say that because I don't buy there is "nothing you can do" part, even though so far nothing that I've done has cured it, but I keep trying. I also found Poly works for me and just started taking Miralax daily, instead of as needed. Hopefully that will begin a healing process. I also may look into motility drugs and/or antibiotics in the future as I also have SIBO from Covid. It's a virus that keeps on giving smiling smiley

Jim
December 31, 2023 12:56AM
To stay regular: Take psyllium tablets, mag citrate, always eat fiber with every meal, drink water throughout the day, and exercise four times per week.

\LarryG
January 03, 2024 02:01AM
Remove high carbs, sugar, and fiber, it just makes it worse, as fiber actually increases constipation. If you can change your diet, do include more animal fats and protein, it takes a couple of days to adjust but it 100% works at eliminating constipation. Also, coffee can be of great help to stay regular, and drink plenty of water.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login