Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you function normally with paroxysmal A fib?

Posted by Sunshine13 
Do you function normally with paroxysmal A fib?
November 29, 2023 05:44AM
Good Morning everyone,
Just went into a fib around 4 am. I have paroxysmal a fib. Normally when I go into a fib and I am scheduled to work I call out and just try to relax till it goes away. Today I called out but I have a dentist appt. to have a crown put on a tooth that had root canal. Am debating weather I should go or not. Do you all find that it’s better to stay on a normal routine while in a fib or do most of you just stay home till it goes away ? I don’t get dizzy or anything , I just feel my heart of course and pulse all over the place and HR is ok as long as I don’t do much. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ken
Re: Do you function normally with paroxysmal A fib?
November 29, 2023 09:08AM
I think that it depends on the individual, their general well-being and level of fitness. I was very symptomatic and always knew when I was in or out of afib. For me, always in good physical shape, during my 11 years of afib and over 200 documented episodes, the only thing I altered in my day-to-day life was I avoided working out when in afib. Oxygen debt would come on way too fast. For me, afib was an inconvenience, but it was very nice to get back to normal after my first ablation - then 13 years until my afib returned and another ablation.
November 29, 2023 09:59AM
I just continued on with my life. If I had a physically demanding job that might have been different, but sitting at a desk and sitting on a couch at home are pretty much the same things.
November 29, 2023 10:17AM
As others have said it is individual. Depends on how your symptoms manifest. For instance if your day requires driving and you are dizzy or some other symptom impairs your mental acuity, you’d want to give it a miss. With the dentist, watch out for injections as they contain epinephrine which can affect your heart rate. If you need an injection, ask for one without epinephrine—almost all dentists will have them available.
November 29, 2023 10:52AM
I agree with previous posters. It's individual.
Before my first ablation, I was disabled (very low BP) by the first hour of AFib, then my body was adapting and I went better but not fine.
After ablations (I've had 4 - I'm a very difficult case), I've still AFib about once a week, for about 1hr, self-ending without any drug or action. I've tried lots of things, but to no avail. I'm feeling my AFib, but without being much disabled. I just wait for it to stop, trying to sleep while in bed, or doing what I've to do (being careful if it requires some physical strength).
November 29, 2023 11:40AM
Daisy , thank you for the info. I was wondering about that. Am sure they will use an injection so I will let them know when I get there that am in a fib and see what they suggest.
November 29, 2023 02:34PM
Wow, great information from Daisy! Didn't know about the contents of an oral anesthetic, or some of them.

Yes, some people literally don't know when they're in AF or flutter. Others are so badly symptomatic that it really adversely affects their well-being and their ability to enjoy life. You CAN get to the point where you get used to it, but the thought of a wonky heart leaves most of us wanting something better for ourselves.

I was often in AF in my latter months prior to both ablations, which came about seven months apart. I didn't like being 'there', but I went on with life as much as I could, and would be highly averse to missing important health appointments, dinners with friends....cuz ya gotta live. Sleep is one thing, and I'm so thankful that my AF stopped as soon as I zoned out the first time when I went to bed at night. It was surreal how reliably this happened night after night. My sister-in-law, like so many AF sufferers, has her AF come on when she's trying to sleep...most disconcerting for her.

I can't answer for you, Sunshine13, but I would most definitely encourage you to keep moving, meeting, shopping unless you feel quite unwell. If you can live with the fluttery, thumping, bumping, in your chest, try not to let AF win...not all the time.
November 29, 2023 03:41PM
Daisy
As others have said it is individual. Depends on how your symptoms manifest. For instance if your day requires driving and you are dizzy or some other symptom impairs your mental acuity, you’d want to give it a miss. With the dentist, watch out for injections as they contain epinephrine which can affect your heart rate. If you need an injection, ask for one without epinephrine—almost all dentists will have them available.

I trained my dentist. It’s called epi plain. Usually the difference is the color of the glass vial depending on drug manufacturers. My experience is epi plain is a white and blue/green packaging label adhered onto the vial, while regular linocaine with epi I found to have a white and red sticker. I also double check by asking to see the vial. Once the dentist told his assistant plain and she injected her syringe into an epi labeled vial and handed the syringe over to him. I caught it. Dentist chewed her out.

Same with my dermatologist. I caught his assistant once also making the mistake.

Be your own advocate.
November 29, 2023 07:42PM
I’m pretty new to Afib, and very much appreciate the upheaval it can bring to your peace of mind. My first few runs just terrified me. I was sure I would be imminently making my wife a widow with three kids to raise. After consulting with the cardiologist, he basically convinced me I wasn’t going to drop dead, but the fear was replaced with something sliding towards depression whenever Afib came back. I would just feel not at all myself. My sense of humor would vanish, and I was just become a grumpy jerk. I didn’t want to do anything, so would try to sleep it off. When that didn’t work I would get even grumpier. At a certain point I decided I was just going to go for a walk (which is a part of my lifestyle), Afib or not. I discovered that actually helped convert! It was kind of revelatory. But now. Even when I can’t convert, I try to get on with things anyway. Ive been in Afib for nearly a week at this point (5 days; virus-triggered), but haven’t missed work, skipped making the dinner, or bailed on getting my kids to sports. Etc. I’m a bit slower-paced, and don’t force the 10k daily steps, but I try not to let it win. Still don’t feel like myself, exactly, and it gets very tiresome, but you can’t just slam the brakes on your life (unless your rate is really off the rails, dizziness is a problem, etc.). Good luck!
November 29, 2023 08:33PM
When I had a 2.5 month episode, 19 years ago, I pretty much did everything as normal. Now, most of my relatively infrequent episodes are converted pretty quickly with flecainide. I read long ago from an EP that being quiet after taking flec reduced flutter risk. As I don't use a beta blocker with it, I'm usually pretty quiet, buy conversion generally happens quickly. I have had afib initiate at the top of a very steep climbing trail in a narrow canyon. I had a 70# pack and just walked down for the 45 minutes or whatever it took and drove home. My afib doesn't stop me from doing anything. My first episode, I went to the ER as I didn't know what was happening. I learned that was not something I needed and it was my last afib visit to the ER.
November 29, 2023 08:42PM
Ken , I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Just like you I know exactly when I go into a fib and when it leaves. This episode is finally over after 15 hours . Am going to change things up a bit next time to see if I get a better response in trying to make it shorter. Best wishes to you !
November 29, 2023 08:46PM
Carey , I understand why you go to work , but in my situation ,my job is running around a school cafeteria for 4 hours , so sometimes I just feel like taking it easy at home . I feel so tired after 12-15 hours that I just want to lay down. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.
November 29, 2023 08:56PM
Sunshine13
Carey , I understand why you go to work , but in my situation ,my job is running around a school cafeteria for 4 hours , so sometimes I just feel like taking it easy at home . I feel so tired after 12-15 hours that I just want to lay down. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

I understand. I've never worked at a school cafeteria but I've been in more than one and no thanks. Wouldn't want to do that in afib.
November 29, 2023 09:06PM
Gloaming, thank you for your kind words of encouragement and wisdom. Finally in sinus rhythm after 15 hours. Your right I have to take.a good look and see how I can try at least continue with my life and not let it win. Most of the time I stay home and keep calm but a whole day goes by . I did go to the dentist he said that the epinephrine is what could trigger a fib and they use it so u are numb for a longer period of time. So he did a local without epinephrine and it didn’t change my a fib in any way. So I was able to get a temporary on the tooth, which I was relieved that it wasn’t a wasted visit. So i will move forward and hopefully it will be awhile before the next episode. Best wishes to you !
November 30, 2023 10:59AM
susan.d
Same with my dermatologist. I caught his assistant once also making the mistake.

Yes, any doc who injects lidocaine as the usual type contains epinephrine which reduces bleeding. How ever, I always ask for lidocaine without epinephrine and it is fine – even when I had a pacemaker implanted. They just have to inject you more frequently. Also, there is epinephrine in some of the drops that your optometrist uses so it is good to ask.
November 30, 2023 02:47PM
lots of dental work...my denist used/uses septocaine vs epi. Still has some level of epi but doesn't jack the heart rate. Downside is it has a much shorter duration than epi...
December 01, 2023 02:40PM
Re the epi-- also at the dermatologist if you are getting anything taken off- ask for w/o the epi.
December 01, 2023 06:12PM
Sunshine... So sorry I'm late in reading posts...just saw yours and the comment that your dental procedure will be to put a crown on a tooth that has had a root canal. The root canal removes the nerve from the tooth so you should have no pain issues when placing the crown... so no need for numbing unless it's a very unique situation.

Best to you,
Jackie
December 02, 2023 11:15AM
I've had it for 5 years with varying frequency and I used to be devastated by it then got it in the middle of a 4 hour walk and realized if I can survive that, I'll try to just relax as much as possible and carry on, when I do get it. I have a high stress job I love and am past 60 and have worked many different days with it and realized even though my concentration isn't quite the same, we all have bad days and I just chalk it up to that. With dental work, I'd take some homeopathic and some calming tea and go through with it, but not being a doctor, I'd maybe ask your doctor.
December 12, 2023 03:59PM
Very individualized. Some convert and head for the gym. Others are wiped out for days. Follow what your body says, not what someone else's body says. For me, being hydrated helps and I keep some Gatorade around for such times, but the last place I'll be going for a few days is the gym smiling smiley

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login