Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PVCs on EKG 11 years after ablation

Posted by afhound99 
PVCs on EKG 11 years after ablation
November 21, 2023 04:02PM
Hi Shannon, Carey and Afibbers community

I've felt some arrythmia for a few weeks so arranged for an EKG with my cardiologist here in Vero Beach, FL. The EKG showed some PVCs according to the physician's assistant who conducted the EKG. I'm due to get an echocardiogram and Holter harness attached next week. The EP who performed the ablation back in 2012 was Dr Barrett at Mass General in Boston. It was a PVI ablation and I've had a great run of NSR until now. (I'm now 76). I'm in pretty good health in spite of bilateral reverse shoulder replacements in 2022.

I'm on not on any meds that could typically affect heart rhythm but I discontinued pregabalen 150mg daily I use for neuropathy discomfort. It felt like it made some difference in getting fewer Omron arrythmia readings but that device is not necessarily going to register PVCs reliably. Apart from that I'm not sure what could be relevant except perhaps a slightly low anemia test result. Guess I'll find out more in a few weeks but meanwhile would appreciate any observations.

Thank you..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 04:09PM by afhound99.
Re: PVCs on EKG 11 years after ablation
November 21, 2023 04:49PM
afhound99
I've felt some arrythmia for a few weeks so arranged for an EKG with my cardiologist here in Vero Beach, FL. The EKG showed some PVCs according to the physician's assistant who conducted the EKG. I'm due to get an echocardiogram and Holter harness attached next week. The EP who performed the ablation back in 2012 was Dr Barrett at Mass General in Boston. It was a PVI ablation and I've had a great run of NSR until now. (I'm now 76). I'm in pretty good health in spite of bilateral reverse shoulder replacements in 2022.

Do you have any sense of frequency? Every other beat; once a minute; a run of these every ten minutes or hour or day?? Your Holter should give a lot more data, but this is a question I'd explore when you get the results.
November 21, 2023 04:56PM
Are you taking any supplements?
November 21, 2023 06:03PM
Keep in mind that PVCs originate in the ventricles, not the atria. They are at best distant second cousins to PACs, which originate in the atria. The point is they're not really strongly related to atrial arrhythmias like afib and flutter.
November 21, 2023 06:35PM
George, think PVCs are happening 'quite' frequently - happened to be a couple showing on the EKG when I wasn't particularly feeling anything. I'd guess I am sometimes in NSR.. as you say Holter will show this.

Yuxi, not currently but I usually take some R-ALA, Beta Sisterol, a multi, Vit-C and some B-complex. No fish oil.

Carey, yes, I understand that being not per se related to afib. I don't sense 'The Beast' returning, at least I hope not.
November 29, 2023 10:41AM
I'm sometimes dealing with PVCs, mostly in bi or tri germinal patterns.
I confirm they have nothing common with what may happen in the atria.
PACs, and particularly runs of PACs, can turn to AFib. In my case, most if not all my AFib episodes begin with them and end with them.
PVCs never lead to AFib, but they're ugly. Some days, I may have lots of them and it can become painful.
I've noticed they're more frequent when my calcium intake is high (I like cheese) and I don't exercise as much as usual.
It's mysterious. I'm still trying to understand, but I can't.
Re: PVCs on EKG 11 years after ablation (AV Block type 1)
December 03, 2023 06:53PM
Thanks Pompon. Actually when the EKG results posted to my patient record, the diagnosos was "AV block type 1 with occasional PVCs".

I think this was primarily caused by switching from Gabapentin to Pregabalin for pain treatment of non diabetic peripheral neuropathy of the feet. I cut out use of both drugs to see if the arrythmia stopped or was less frequent. It appears to be mostly resolved now.

I'm still going to get the Holter harness.

I did a check in pubmed. nih etc and found a few references to use of these drugs and came up with several cases where they were implicated in arrythmia.
December 03, 2023 11:10PM
Do you have an alternative for the pain management?
December 05, 2023 06:22PM
No I'm doing without. It's tolerable..!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login