Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

afib from COVID or Paxlovid

Posted by windyshores 
afib from COVID or Paxlovid
November 20, 2023 11:07PM
I tested positive for COVID on Saturday, for the first time, despite my continued masking. I started Paxlovid on Sat. and on Sunday landed in ER with afib, mainly because urgent care would not take me, PCP was off and I needed help figuring out if Paxlovid was causing it. Pulse was 70-90, not bad, blood pressure high (normally mine is low).

The weird thing is, afib is only happening when I am up or moving. Normal sinus rhythm lying down. So ER doc saw afib as I walked in but after lying down, both EKG's were normal sinus. So noone took me seriously. I had to wait for two Troponin tests and left. Today it was worse. I have been in bed, and only get up to use the bathroom. Kardia keeps saying "supraventricular ectopy" but it is nearly constant for a few minutes after beingup, and ER doc interpreted it as afib Who knows.

ER doc and ER cardiologist told me to continue Paxlovid because COVID affects heart (kidney function was down too). This morning I finally talked to a provider who knows me- weekends always a tough time to be sick and get help! My own doc said given my med sensitivities, heart and kidney issues, recent vaccine and relative mildness they are seeing, that he would never have prescribed Paxlovid for me (I am 72).

So after two days/4 doses, I stopped and I think, knock on wood, heart is a little better.

I found an FDA .arning that Paxlovid can affect the electrical system of the heart. None of the docs knew this and blamed it all on COVID, which meant continuing the med, which would have been harmful.

Just want to share this so noone else suffers this

ps My usual and only pattern has been once/year afib with rapid ventricular response with heart rate near 200. This is entirely new. I have short episodes a month ago from lifting then eating, something to do with diaphragm and maybe hernia or GERD. I never eat after 5. This has been a problem since spinal fractures shortened my spine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 12:05AM by windyshores.
Joe
Re: afib from COVID or Paxlovid
November 21, 2023 02:15AM
Thanks for sharing - good to knowthumbs up
November 21, 2023 08:43AM
Thanks for sharing this. Hope you are better soon. When I asked could take Paxlovid if I get Covid, both my EP (EP who did my ablation and local EP) said yet without hesitation.

Did you get Covid vaccines? Have you had arrhythmia after getting it?
November 21, 2023 12:07PM
This is an interesting post. My EP does not recommend the COVID vaccine because of the adverse side affects he has seen. I asked him again about this when the new vaccine came out. He said no to the vaccine but has always said yes to Paxlovid. I had Covid a year ago and did take Paxlovid with no AFIP issues.

I hope you get over your symptoms soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 12:20PM by Pixie.
November 21, 2023 05:52PM
I have had all the vaccines, including one 5 weeks ago, with no afib. I did have a fever and fluish symptoms.

Here is the FDA warning and more info:
According to the FDA, Paxlovid can cause changes in the electrical activity of the heart, which can lead to an irregular heartbeat or even sudden cardiac arrest. This risk is higher in people who already have underlying heart conditions or who are taking certain medications.
Can Paxlovid Cause Heart Problems? What You Need to Know
naomedical.com/blog/can-paxlovid-cause-heart-problems/

Not a single doc, and I talked to 4 over the weekend including ER and cardiology, thought Paxlovid was the culprit. I found that warning myself. Can't they google?!

Again, the odd thing is that I was fine in bed but any movement started it up. Every time.

My Kardia is full of supraventricular ectopies and possible afibs.

You know when you watch the little beating red heart on top left of the screen? I had to stop watching. It was bad..

But EKG's lying down for hours in ER were both normal.

I am much better today in terms of heart. Got up to eat, even went outside, didn't feel anything except weakness. It definitely was the Paxlovid.

I did 4 doses. I hope no damage done! Glad the post was helpful!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 06:05PM by windyshores.
November 21, 2023 05:57PM
ps I filed a report with MedWatch, told PCP and cardiologist. Want to spread the word.
November 23, 2023 08:58PM
Not sure if this is chicken or egg- but I know many with afib are on a blood thinner and that is contraindicated. A lot of things at play. Good reason to ask your providers ahead of time and your situation is a reminder of that.. unfortunately.. but the rest can benefit. I have been told I can't take Paxlovid. When the monoclonal antibodies were around they were an option. Hoping you are well soon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2023 08:59PM by bettylou4488.
November 24, 2023 10:03PM
I personally am not on blood thinners but they are absolutely listed as a medication interaction to avoid. The people i know on blood thinners took remdesivir instead, if they needed it.

I did Paxlovid for two days, and then was doing pretty well for 3 1/2 days. Today I woke up with a fever over 100, heavy chest, fast heart rate and did have a few ectopic beats getting up (seen on Kardia)- from all of the above, but nothing like what I experienced on Paxlovid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login