Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hiatal hernia and a fib

Posted by hikerjim 
Hiatal hernia and a fib
November 15, 2023 05:57PM
I've had two ablations and still continue to have afib about once a week. I practically never have a fib while standing, hiking, or moving about. It seems like possibly 98 percent of my a fib episodes is initiated when I sit down or bent over at the waist. I'm thinking there is a correlation between a fib and my hiatal hernia near the vagus nerve.
Re: Hiatal hernia and a fib
November 15, 2023 11:42PM
hikerjim,

Many of us, including me, have suffered afib connected to the GERD, Hernia, Loose Lower Esophagus Spinctur (LES) route. Here is a post from Jackie in 2004 that will enlighten you.
Dean

Jackie
Acid Reflux, GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Vagus Nerve Imbalance
March 18, 2004 06:24AM Registered: 6 years ago

Once in a while researching out there in Cyberspace, I stumble onto an article with amazing relevance to the afib condition. Serendipity is here again.

The article I found is an extremely interesting viewpoint on vagus nerve imbalance and how it is influenced by hiatal hernia and the role of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). I was especially fascinated by the similarities in my history since I traced a good deal of my break-through arrhythmia while on Flecanide to a displaced diaphragm.

The article is long but contains many references to vagus nerve impingement and activity that we afibbers can use as information concerning why we are affected by postural changes, bloating after meals, etc. If you can’t get through the entire article, be sure you get to the last couple of paragraphs that discuss Heart Rate Variability and the state of the vagus nerve.

The article," A Missing Link To Chronic Illness, Allergies and Longevity?: Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome," is written by Steve Rochiltz, PhD, (credentials at the end) was published in the Aug-Sept. 2003 Issue of Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, a well-respected and time honored publication for alternative medicine written by researchers, health practitioners and patients. Dr. Rochiltz references work by Dr. Theodore Baroody, DC, ND, PhD Nutrition and Baroody’s book, "Hiatal Hernia Syndrome: Insidious Link to Major Illness."

While describing symptoms of hiatal hernia, this article points out many similarities to complaints and symptoms afibbers write about all the time. Following are some excerpts that may serve to entice you to go to the article and learn more.

Jackie

Statements are direct quotes from the article by Dr. Rochiltz:

Could there be a factor either unknown, or not fully understood, by both mainstream and alternative medicine, that can initiate much chronic illness including allergies? Could there be a very dangerous condition in the body that can cause virtually every other organ of the body to malfunction? Could 85% of the population have this undetected condition? The answer is decidedly yes to each of these questions. At the end of this article, surprising, new evidence will be revealed that this factor may even be a predictor of life expectancy.

The biochemist Carey Reams, PhD, said, “illness begins with the Vagus Nerve.” The Hiatal Hernia Syndrome (HHS) by pinching the Vagus Nerve causes Vagus Nerve Imbalance (VNI). This imbalance is usually a hyperexcitability, but a decreased energy state is also possible at some point in time.

In a Hiatus Hernia, or Hiatal Hernia, the upper portion of the stomach protrudes through the opening (hiatus) in the diaphragm muscle. I urge the reader to go beyond any preconceived notions that this condition only causes GERD (acid reflux) and minor discomfort, and to read this article in its entirety before judging this work. My own recent research will be described for the first time, after reviewing one pioneering clinician's findings.

This article will reveal how this condition, Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome, which I will abbreviate as VNI/HHS, can cause so many other maladies and symptoms, and how it can cause many other organs to malfunction. Then I will describe testing to uncover the VNI/HHS, and finally how to treat this insidious malady with various modalities.

The physician, Theodore Baroody, D.C. after treating thousands of patients for many “other illnesses” calls the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome, “the Mother of All Illness.”

1 He states that nearly “every [non-infectious] condition (except trauma) is the direct result of some digestive dysfunction.”
2 He writes that the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome is “dangerous and brings about constant imbalances that lead to all maladies known to mankind.”
3 He has found that over 85% of all of his patients when tested have a Hiatal Hernia! He further postulates that about “85% of the overall populace” has the HHS! My own clientele, mostly sufferers of severe fatigue/fibromyalgia and extreme food, chemical, and electromagnetic s.

Simply put, if one considers finding the initiating cause of chronic, degenerative illness a key factor in medicine, this is one of the great works in the medical literature.

I cannot blame the reader for any initial disbelief, as both Baroody and myself are often “mind boggled” to see again and again how seemingly unrelated illnesses or symptoms are often immediately relieved when “the stomach is brought down.” The difficulty in seeing all this clearly often arises because many factors can prevent the stomach from “staying down.”

But Baroody's, and my own, improved techniques can help make this change last, and thus the improvement in these many, seemingly, unrelated conditions will be clear. Also, I might not have believed this myself if I hadn't, (unfortunately), lived through it; and, as a physicist, insisted on uncovering the most primary causes of my own problems.

As stated above, Hiatal Hernia refers to the stomach's protrusion through the opening, (hiatus), in the diaphragm muscle. Wellness can ultimately only return when the diaphragm's hole, (hiatus), has been repaired and the stomach can no longer jump up. This can take months of continuously doing everything just right.

The key to an enlightened understanding of the VNI/HHS is that the amount of stomach protrusion is often irrelevant. In many people, serious illness begins unfolding even if the amount of protrusion, (the Hiatal Hernia), is “small,” as found, for example by X-ray. In many sufferers, any such protrusion causes major hyperexcitability of the Vagus Nerve! The extensive sensitivities have the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome over 90% of the time. It's no coincidence.

Vagus Nerve is so diverse and so interconnected to so many organs that it has been nicknamed the “wanderer.” The slightest upward displacement of the stomach through the diaphragm disorders the Vagus Nerve. Immediately the stomach no longer is able to produce the proper amount of hydrochloric acid. The entire digestive process is then adversely affected. The final result is often that the entire body will become too acid.

From an imbalanced Vagus Nerve, any other organ can begin to malfunction depending on genetic weakness and various other factors. Of course, the diaphragm itself will directly be affected and breathing normally no longer occurs. Other openings in the diaphragm itself now stretched or torn allow the major blood vessels to and from the heart to pass through it. Thus spasms in the abdominal aorta and inferior vena cava can occur.

Indeed, Baroody found kinesiological (muscle) tests for two separate “stuck diaphragm” conditions related to abdominal aorta and inferior vena cava imbalances4. The heart itself can be crowded, and pressed on, by the stomach being “where it doesn't belong.”

These last factors and the direct hyperexcitability of the Vagus Nerve's connection to the heart, leads to many Emergency Room visits and “pseudo-heart attack” symptoms of chest pain, difficulty breathing and left arm numbness.

The reader, if experiencing these complaints, should seek emergency medical care, and not assume they are arising from the HHS. There is a remarkable similarity between Hiatal Hernia Syndrome and angina. Both can cause similar symptoms and both can occur after similar events such as overeating, exercise, and heavy lifting. My own hypothesis is that the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome, if uncorrected, may sometimes eventually become true angina.

The Hiatal Hernia Syndrome is the earliest cause of GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) virtually 100% of the time, though the orthodox literature often only denotes “an occasional link.” But I believe, many people have Hiatal Hernia for some time before GERD develops.

Baroody notes that lifting, bending, sneezing, coughing, stress, and many other factors can immediately push the stomach up through the diaphragm. Other foods that can be problematic for this syndrome include dairy, wheat, vinegar, citrus and other fruits. Avoid food or drink that is too hot or too cold.

…… does hiatal hernia/vagus nerve pinching cause the Infrascapular Respiratory Reflex (IRR) to go bad? Or possibly the other way around? Philibert also has elucidated a cardiac reflex in the pectoralis major muscle. This reflex may cause or exacerbate angina, or other cardiac problems including myocardial infarction (heart attack).

(Be sure to view the long list of symptoms)
These symptoms or organ disorders can arise from direct over-energy from the Vagus Nerve's connection to these organs, or by secondary nerve imbalance as these other nerves interact with the Vagus Nerve, or from digestive disorder begun in the stomach, or by systemic pH imbalance.

But Heart Rate Variability and even stress, “stress vulnerability” and “reactivity to stress” have been demonstrated to be highly dependent on the state of the Vagus Nerve13. Thus we have come full circle and verified Carey Reams quote cited at the outset of this article. Reams stated that illness began with problems with the Vagus Nerve.

HRV studies have now found that our life expectancies may depend on an optimum or balanced Vagus Nerve; and Dr. Baroody has found that the Vagus Nerve cannot be in balance unless the stomach is down and stays down.

End of quotes.

Steve Rochlitz, PhD
President, Human Ecology Balancing Sciences
P.O. Box 2154
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
USA
November 20, 2023 11:23PM
I have recently figured out that lifting (followed by eating especially) is triggering major afib episodes. I had one in July 2021, and three in late August early October, all related to moving to a different apartment and lifting. A Tai Chi class also triggered a short episode because the Quigong involves reaching, which lifts my diaphragm.

I appreciated that article.

So how do we move the stomach back down?

This is getting progressively worse. I previously went 1-2 years without any afib and trigger was different in the past.
November 21, 2023 11:59AM
WindyShores - Long ago, when I offered the post that Dean listed, I had been treating with a chiropractor known for his successful management of a 'displaced diaphragm'. I had mentioned in the post that therapy was so effective, I nearly cancelled my first Natale ablation (2003)... but didn't and was glad because I did have more bouts of AF which the Natale ablation managed for about 10 yrs.. and then I needed another procedure plus a touchup... However, the Good News was/is... twenty plus years later, I no longer have that diaphragm problem.

That said... if you do decide to try therapy for the diaphragm, do lots of research on the experience and qualifications of the practitioners available. Prior to the diaphragm therapy, I had seen several different chiropractors for another muscular issue who weren't nearly as proficient as the one who managed the diaphragm.

Jackie
November 21, 2023 04:56PM
WindyShores and hikerjim,

This is a post from 15yrs ago by Lee who is a Pediatrician. He had the same trouble and ended up having a Nissan Fundoplication surgery to fix his GERD. It is a very informative post about his journey with GERD and afib.

Dean

[www.afibbers.org]
November 21, 2023 05:52PM
Dean
This is a post from 15yrs ago by Lee who is a Pediatrician. He had the same trouble and ended up having a Nissan Fundoplication surgery to fix his GERD. It is a very informative post about his journey with GERD and afib.

A friend just sent me this article on GERD. Germane to this conversation is this quote from it:

"In another study, Curcumin (e.g., CuraMed® 750 mg 2x day) was as effective as PPIs, but caused side benefits instead of side effects. Pepcid, which is not a PPI, also did not have these toxicities and is much safer than PPIs."
November 21, 2023 10:42PM
Thanks Jackie and Dean. This thread is helpful. George, I use Pepcid as needed. Never eat after 5pm. I just read it might help to cut food in small pieces and chew a lot! Main thing might be working with a PT on how to lift without moving diaphragm and possibly hernia up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login