Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium type

Posted by bettylou4488 
Magnesium type
November 10, 2023 01:11PM
I am sure this is discussed several times a year and I did find this one old post discussing it. I have taken various forms of Mg of the years

Citrate or oxide if I have to get things moving

glycinate- for heart

l-theronate - for sleep ...

And was just reading on taurate which I bet I have taken at some juncture.

What's the skinny on Mg type for arrhythmias, afib and otherwise. specifically glycerinate vs. taurate.

Sorry to post this yet again but it's hard to find the info all in one place and there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks.
Re: Magnesium type
November 10, 2023 02:10PM
bettylou4488
What's the skinny on Mg type for arrhythmias, afib and otherwise. specifically glycerinate vs. taurate.

I've tried them all, including some that required reacting myself (bicarbonate, acetate). They all worked for me with sufficient quantity.

That being said, either glycinate or taurate should work. I take taurine separately, but combining it with mag would be good.

The dilute bicarbonate liquid is great to consume over the day. Here are some more bicarb posts:

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

This is a post on acetate, created from 2 TBL milk of magnesia + 8 TBL vinegar (I use organic apple cider vinegar). This will convert to bicarbonate in the body.
November 11, 2023 02:09PM
Thanks George. As always a wealth of info. Another question on it a friend mentioned taking it with animal fat helped the absorption or something. Do you know anything about that?
November 11, 2023 05:17PM
bettylou4488
Thanks George. As always a wealth of info. Another question on it a friend mentioned taking it with animal fat helped the absorption or something. Do you know anything about that?

I could only find this rat study, which studied used frying oils (not animal fat). Seems the oils improved absorption, but not retention as excess was urinated out.

It also appears that dietary fiber may impair absorption.

Because most Mg compounds have a basic pH, I take mine away from everything else so as not to compromise digestion of the other stuff. With my high Mg intake, I'm certain most of it ends up in my urine. However, backing my intake down leads to increased afib episodes for me, even though my RBC magnesium levels are always in the 7's and optimal is considered 6.5.
November 12, 2023 08:04PM
Thanks George. I am going to play around with when I take mine.
November 13, 2023 04:25PM
GeorgeN
Because most Mg compounds have a basic pH, I take mine away from everything else so as not to compromise digestion of the other stuff. With my high Mg intake, I'm certain most of it ends up in my urine. However, backing my intake down leads to increased afib episodes for me, even though my RBC magnesium levels are always in the 7's and optimal is considered 6.5.

That is interesting to know George, I hadn’t thought about magnesium having basic pH and i know you need stomach acid to digest your food. I take magnesium around lunch and a bit after dinner if not with it. The magnesium will burn my throat if I don’t eat something with it. I have found one miracle that works. If I’ve forgotten to eat, and I take magnesium, and within an hour later my throat starts burning, all I do is eat a wedge of apple, and that takes care of it. So I’m never without an apple that I keep cut up in a container in the frig. And if I haven’t had a meal, I’ll make sure to get one wedge of apple and take a bite before and after I swallow the pills so that I don’t have any burn from it. I suppose that’s not ruining digestion of one wedge of apple.

I mix three different kinds of magnesium over the week so that I get variety. I did take magnesium taurate by Cardiovascular Research in the past, but I don’t care what I do I don’t ever notice anything black and white that says this is right/that is wrong. But that particular magnesium and brand was a bit hard to take and sometimes the capsules had come apart, and the powder was in the bottom of the jar, so I just switched over to a chelated glycinate to replace that one.

When I started seeing a cardiologist for my Afib/flutter in 2019 and he put me on various meds, he had me stop my taurine that I had begun. One capsule is 1000 mg it’s by Jarrow. It says it expired in June 2020. How does one know if they can take it or not by the time the doctors get hold of you and you’re on prescription medicines? Also wonder if this expiration date matters on this good brand of taurine and if I should try it again. I now have mild pulmonary hypertension dx, but the afib/flutter has been under control. I have a watchman. I am on blood pressure medicine and Farxiga for possible heart failure, which I don’t exhibit any signs of yet other than a little bit of breathlessness with brisk exercise. But I didn’t know once you get on medicines like that if you can still take these supplements.
November 14, 2023 08:29PM
Madeline
That is interesting to know George, I hadn’t thought about magnesium having basic pH and i know you need stomach acid to digest your food. I take magnesium around lunch and a bit after dinner if not with it. The magnesium will burn my throat if I don’t eat something with it.

The dilute magnesium bicarbonate solution (linked here) might avoid these issues. At its concentration, it would not change the pH much. As well, it likely would not irritate the esophagus. The concept is to drink the dilute solution over the day, as you would water (cook with it, etc). It was developed by late member, Erling Waller, and current member, Jackie.
November 14, 2023 09:23PM
GeorgeN

That is interesting to know George, I hadn’t thought about magnesium having basic pH and i know you need stomach acid to digest your food. I take magnesium around lunch and a bit after dinner if not with it. The magnesium will burn my throat if I don’t eat something with it.

The dilute magnesium bicarbonate solution (linked here) might avoid these issues. At its concentration, it would not change the pH much. As well, it likely would not irritate the esophagus. The concept is to drink the dilute solution over the day, as you would water (cook with it, etc). It was developed by late member, Erling Waller, and current member, Jackie.

Thank you. I have heard of the WW here many times before. I have not had any afib or flutter since my LAA ablation in November 2022. I didn’t ever feel that I had a huge problem as I caught everything very early and sought treatment. I did not have tremendously frequent, bad or lengthy episodes.

I understand that making the body more alkaline would be good, but this sounds like a tremendous amount of work compared to my supplements and an occasional wedge of apple. Am I understanding correctly in that big long complicated recipe is for 1 L of water and something a person has to make every single day?
November 14, 2023 09:52PM
So making it yourself-- I was just reading the 'how to' paper. Seems easy but I don't mix well with fizzy waters of any kind. They blow up my stomach, and even trigger irregular heart beats. So maybe I have to stick with the supplements or maybe I am reading it incorrectly. Or does the shaking get rid of the fizzy mostly? I switched to glycerinate this week and it's causing massive indigestion in my throat. The l-theronate didn't. I need to keep searching for something that works.
November 14, 2023 11:48PM
According to a thread I initiated about three/four months ago, the most easily absorbed salt is the citrate salt. If so, then you'd need less of it to match the intake/absorption of the other forms, and maybe that would help with the stomach upset......? Mebbe....?
November 15, 2023 08:31AM
bettylou4488
So making it yourself-- I was just reading the 'how to' paper. Seems easy but I don't mix well with fizzy waters of any kind. They blow up my stomach, and even trigger irregular heart beats. So maybe I have to stick with the supplements or maybe I am reading it incorrectly. Or does the shaking get rid of the fizzy mostly? I switched to glycerinate this week and it's causing massive indigestion in my throat. The l-theronate didn't. I need to keep searching for something that works.

What you are doing is reacting the CO2 water with the milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide - Mg(OH)2). This makes magnesium hydroxide - Mg(HCO3)2. The CO2 is why the water is "fizzy." When the reaction is complete, the water is "flat." The reaction does take a while. In fact, the CO2 water bottle will commonly collapse the bottle a bit as the pressure reduces.

Here is gloaming's thread from a few months ago he mentioned above: [www.afibbers.org]

Here is a post with a member who makes the magnesium bicarb from magnesium hydroxide powder: [www.afibbers.org]

susan.d recommends this product: I’m a fan of this brand:
[www.amazon.com] It gives me no GI issues and I can take it without food.

A member posted about some magnesium combination they thought was wonderful several months ago. Haven't been able to find it.
November 15, 2023 04:29PM
I ask this part of my post again.
Am I understanding correctly in that big long complicated recipe is for 1 L of water and something a person has to make every single day?

Also, how far away from eating a meal would be advised in taking my mag so as not to disrupt the needed acid for my meal?

By the way I take 3 different good brands of magnesium myself & I don't always get a burn - do well with all of them
MWF - mag threonate
Tu/Sat Jigsaw brand
Th/Su Advanced Magnesium by Innovix Labs (chelated m. glycinate/malate) it is $23 vs $60 & for more pills, at least 1/3 cost of SusanDs brand
November 15, 2023 05:17PM
Madeline
Am I understanding correctly in that big long complicated recipe is for 1 L of water and something a person has to make every single day?

When I make it, I double the recipe and make 2L at a time. Each liter of the concentrate contains 1.5 grams magnesium. Per the recipe, they suggest making 12 liters of dilute magnesium water from 1 L of concentrate. Each diluted liter would have 125 grams of magnesium. Per the recipe references, the bioavailability of the magnesium in the dilute water is 50%, which is good. So, how often you make it depends on how much you drink.

Here are the simplified instructions.

1. Chill one or two liters of carbonated water (say overnight).
2. Shake well the milk of magnesia container.
3. Carefully decant out about 3 tablespoons (for one liter) or 6 tablespoons (for two liters) of the carbonated water, using the 4 tablespoon measuring cup that comes with the milk of magnesia.
4. Carefully pour 3 or 6 tablespoons of milk of magnesia into the 1 or 2 liter bottle of carbonated water (respectively).
5. Cap the carbonated water and shake it. Let it sit and react, shake it periodically. May take some hours to react completely.
6. Now you have 1 or 2 liters of the concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water.
7. Dilute as instructed or as you wish.

Also, how far away from eating a meal would be advised in taking my mag so as not to disrupt the needed acid for my meal?
I don't think you'd need to be worried about the dilute magnesium bicarbonate water, as its pH is only 8, so just a little basic. For other supplements, I'd wait an hour or so (though this is just what I do, I don't have a reference on this)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login