Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chocolate induced tachycardia

Posted by KingFizzy 
Chocolate induced tachycardia
October 31, 2023 08:07PM
Went a little crazy on some high quality chocolate ice-cream this afternoon and felt so bad I thought I might be in AFIB. Checked a few times and kept running 105-115. Gave in and took some Diltiazem. Still in the 90s but lesson learned.
Re: Chocolate induced tachycardia
November 01, 2023 01:08AM
It might have been the cold. I don't know if there would be sufficient caffeine in the quantity one typically consumes for that to have been the trigger.
November 01, 2023 08:04AM
gloaming
It might have been the cold. I don't know if there would be sufficient caffeine in the quantity one typically consumes for that to have been the trigger.

In this meta analysis of caffeine and afib, there were only two studies that had statistical significance (meaning the confidence interval did not include 1). One had a higher odds ratio of afib and one lower. Graph: [oup.silverchair-cdn.com]
November 01, 2023 09:57AM
I don't buy the chocolate or caffeine connection. I think it's pure myth.
November 01, 2023 12:36PM
I agree, although there is always contending evidence when one looks. What I have found stands with what George and Carey posit, and have read with my own eyes research saying caffeine improves the efficiency of the heart. As further evidence, I offer that I was cautioned to abstain from all sources of caffeine, including 'decaf' coffees and tees, a day prior to both of my MIBI tests. This was ostensibly to ensure a veridical assessment of my heart's function and condition.
November 01, 2023 06:42PM
Carey
I don't buy the chocolate or caffeine connection. I think it's pure myth.

Obviously I am an isolated case —6 months after my first ablation I decided to taste chocolate—something I was craving since 2004. I ate one bite of a gluten free chocolate chip cookie and ruined my ablation.

I still miss it. I used to walk through Starbucks to get to my pharmacy just to sniff the smell of a cup of hot chocolate.
November 01, 2023 08:40PM
susan.d
Obviously I am an isolated case —6 months after my first ablation I decided to taste chocolate—something I was craving since 2004. I ate one bite of a gluten free chocolate chip cookie and ruined my ablation.

There are a number of chemicals in chocolate. In my case, both theobromine and caffeine inhibit sleep for me (no afib connection) and I must eat it by 10 AM to avoid this when I go bed.

I recall from long ago here, some who swore that coffee was an issue with afib later found out that organic coffee was OK and not a trigger. Hence it may have been other chemicals in the non-organic coffee (I don't drink coffee).
November 01, 2023 09:10PM
susan.d
I ate one bite of a gluten free chocolate chip cookie and ruined my ablation.

It's not possible to ruin an ablation by eating something. Anything.
November 01, 2023 11:07PM
Sometimes when people eat something really cold, like a big glob of ice cream, it can trigger whats called Vagally induced AFIB. When something cold slides down the back of the throat it effects the nerves nearby.
November 01, 2023 11:11PM
Carey

I ate one bite of a gluten free chocolate chip cookie and ruined my ablation.

It's not possible to ruin an ablation by eating something. Anything.

That’s no what N’s NP told me . She said I have the genetic disposition to ruin my nsr/get new areas from simply something I ate…she was mentioning my second ablation after 4 months in nsr after the ablation I mistakenly ate a can of anchovies (high sodium) instead of a can of sardines. She told me she could had eaten cans without issue because she didn’t have my genetic disposition.

I speculate she meant I got new pathways outside my monkey cage he created. But if I didn’t eat the salty anchovies or the chocolate, I wouldn’t had ruin my nsr track record after those two ablations…and who knows where my path might had lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 11:13PM by susan.d.
November 01, 2023 11:35PM
Okay, whatever, but you eating something has zero effect on your ablation.
November 02, 2023 10:53AM
Yep, zero effect on my monkey caged confined ablation. I ate separately two foods that triggered new pathways outside the areas ablated that ruined my nsr after two separate ablations.

So food triggers matters to some people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2023 05:39PM by susan.d.
November 02, 2023 01:37PM
I sympathize. Ate some dark chocolate a few weeks back and it put me into aflutter. Don't think it's the caffeine however, because coffee has never been a trigger.

Jim
November 02, 2023 02:20PM
The chocolate ice cream is full of carbohydrates and maybe some chemical additives. I'm tempted to believe they are worse food than good chocolate (the kind we eat here in Belgium).
November 02, 2023 04:55PM
At least in the US, if you stick to the ultra-premium brands what you'll get is nothing but cream, eggs, salt, sugar, and high quality chocolate. No additives. The stuff my wife buys uses Belgian dark chocolate.
Ken
November 03, 2023 08:11AM
I have been drinking 1 to 2 cups of caffinated coffee in the morning, one Mountain Dew in the evening and 2 or 3 Dove dark chocolates after dinner every day for 50 years with no relationship to afib.
November 03, 2023 12:34PM
Ken
I have been drinking 1 to 2 cups of caffinated coffee in the morning, one Mountain Dew in the evening and 2 or 3 Dove dark chocolates after dinner every day for 50 years with no relationship to afib.

I’m sure it didn’t help, and perhaps escalated to you needing two ablations.
November 03, 2023 01:57PM
susan.d
I’m sure it didn’t help, and perhaps escalated to you needing two ablations.

What makes you so sure it didn't help? There is no evidence that caffeine causes or promotes afib. In fact, quite the contrary....

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/coffee-atrial-fibrillation-link

There are no proven guidelines of the safest amount of caffeine for people with AFib. But according to a review of research on the topic published by the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, regularly having up to 300 milligrams of caffeine a day should be safe and may even protect against heart arrhythmias.

Studies have found that regular caffeine intake isn’t associated with AFib. One study examined healthy women’s intake of caffeine from coffee, tea, soda, and chocolate. Caffeine wasn’t associated with an increased risk of AFib. The study reported that small to moderate amounts of caffeine could even be helpful.

Other research has shown AFib risk could go down as caffeine consumption goes up. One study found that the risk of AFib decreased with every 300 milligrams of caffeine, or about three cups of coffee, people got per day.
Ken
November 03, 2023 02:50PM
Who knows? Maybe the 13 years I went afib free after my first ablation was because I was drinking caffeine and eating dark chocolate. 13 years without afib is longer than almost everybody else that has had an ablation.
November 04, 2023 04:22PM
I went into flutter shortly after eating some dark chocolate. Probably should not have eaten the whole package smiling smiley

Jim
November 04, 2023 04:45PM
Ken
in the evening and 2 or 3 Dove dark chocolates after dinner every day for 50 years with no relationship to afib.

Chocolates affects people in different ways. I for example get an all day headache after eating after dinner chocolate.
I can't say it triggered my afib events, it could have but since I no longer eat chocolate I will never know.
November 04, 2023 08:45PM
I have worse problems right now but the only time I went out of NSR and had to get shocked was after drinking caffeinated coffee. Tea or decaf coffee for me ever since. Getting shocked sucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 08:45PM by KingFizzy.
November 04, 2023 11:20PM
Just had some chocolate brownie and it gave me palpitations. Same thing happened last weekend.
November 05, 2023 01:23AM
I’ve always had some stomach issues associated with elevated heart rate. Like most of you I associated coffee and chocolate as triggers so much that it actually provoked pacs every single time I had either few pieces of chocolate or few ounces of coffee. I had h pylori for a couple years which resulted in gerd and I decided to clean my diet up and switch to keto and then full carnivore, which made both coffee and chocolate not an issue any longer. I usually have 200-300 mg of coffee daily during work week and on some cheat weekends I indulge with no sugar lilys 75% dark chocolate with no issues whatsoever. So before you give up either check to see if you have h pylori or other food insensitivities, something like 40% of the world is infected with h pylori. I realized 3 years ago that for me it was the dairy, sugar, and gluten that were triggering my ectopics and elevated heart rate. I haven’t posted here for awhile and I’m one of those that felt every single premature beat whether pac or pvc, but for the past 3 years it’s been totally fixed.

I’ve tried all kinds of supplements and some do work and some don’t or stop all together, but nothing worked like getting rid of sugar and carbs, it’s as if I was reborn and given a new heart, not suggesting anyone does what I did. But I was certain I wouldn’t do an ablation no matter the success rate. In case you wondered my diet consists of salmon, red meat, liver, oysters, eggs and aged cheese, all which are nutrient dense and can never be substituted with any supplement. My cholesterol is lower than it ever was, blood sugar in 60s and blood pressure 100/60. The term bioavailability really hit home once I understood that most vegetables can’t be absorbed and are void of nutrients. Sugars and carbs are also essentially making you depleted of everything and messing up your thyroid as they rob your body of iodine and selenium.
November 05, 2023 07:49AM
johnnyS
I realized 3 years ago that for me it was the dairy, sugar, and gluten that were triggering my ectopics and elevated heart rate. I haven’t posted here for awhile and I’m one of those that felt every single premature beat whether pac or pvc, but for the past 3 years it’s been totally fixed.

Once I understood that most vegetables can’t be absorbed and are void of nutrients. Sugars and carbs are also essentially making you depleted of everything and messing up your thyroid as they rob your body of iodine and selenium.

Bravo!!! Agree 100% - my guru is Dr. Chaffee but I also add salmon and skip jack tuna.
November 05, 2023 08:14PM
::"
Once I understood that most vegetables can’t be absorbed and are void of nutrients"""

That is one of the weirdest statements I have seen. I wonder if Vegitarians have stomach issues, I have a large garden and have eaten lots of veggies all my life and I never have stomach problems, never. I have thyroid and AF problems which I believe to be from my DNA, my mother had AF and my father had thyroid problems.
November 05, 2023 08:35PM
What’s wrong with salmon? Tuna I agree but salmon??
November 05, 2023 08:43PM
Susan he says he eats Salmon not tuna.
November 05, 2023 08:44PM
Ohh. Thanks
November 05, 2023 09:02PM
Years ago I was a vegetarian only and loved mostly grilled vegetables like eggplant and peppers but could never get satiated and over time felt awful, so after a year I did a whole panel of labs and discovered I was B12, iron, zinc, Vitamin D deficient, and for whatever reason had sky high cholesterol when I eat no meat at all. Keep in mind non of those deficiencies can be addressed with eating more greens.

I am not preaching to avoid greens by any means, go crazy but don't expect them to make you healthy as you're getting older, unless you're supplementing like 50 pills a day which by the way isn't FDA approved for potency or purity so you'll never know what you're getting and how much of it unless you do periodic blood labs.

Im 43 and I feel like 15 again with no supplements. I don't need studies or date to prove any of it, but if you're curious try and compare something like chicken or calf liver vs any of your green favorite vegetables and you'll see how low they score compared to liver which I eat twice a week.
November 05, 2023 09:22PM
I believe the best diet is the Mediterranean diet, Meat, fish and veggies, fruit, beans. My B12 has always been a little on the high side. I couldn't eat liver, yuck. Whatever works for you that is fine, but I eat all kinds of veggies along with my protein.
November 05, 2023 09:53PM
In my opinion anyone that says "yuck" to liver is probably got too much of a sugar/carb problem, but hey I'm glad you enjoy them, stay healthy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login